• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

88 vs 590 a1 tactical?

My local shop and I was on the phone yesterday, they said that they had some shotgun deals and knowing I like shotguns decided to let me know. They have an 88 with 20 inch barrel, 18.5 inch barrel or 28 inch barrel all are old stock. Choice on the 88's were $220 otd, they also have a 590 a1 tactical old stock that they want $400 otd. which would you get if you was gonna get a shotgun? Thanks

Both are excellent and really comes down to a personal choice.

The biggest issue for most folks is the location of the safety whether it's on the tang or as part of the trigger group.

This day and age, I'd buy the 88 and take the differential in cost and buy ammo plus spend some time on the range.

Regards

^^^^^^
What he said. About the only difference between the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500 series is the location of the safety, and although I prefer the 500, it's not a deal breaker. I prefer simple shotguns for defensive work, not a lot of bling. For instance, I don't like ghost ring sights. If you need those you should have grabbed your carbine or rifle. But I do like a BIG front dot. I think the Magpul rear stock is wonderful, except you do have to dremel it to be able to remove the trigger group (easy to do). I kinda like the old-school corncob forend on the Mav 88, actually.

The 590 and A1 were built to US Army spec, and yes, they are beefier guns. However, is that necessary for civilian use? Probably not. An Army armory gun would be shot a lot by many people over many years. I've never heard of anyone wearning out a Mossberg 500, which the Mav 88 basically is. I'd save the money. Because you mentioned the 590 I think it's safe to assume you are looking for an HD shotty, not a clay breaker.

Instead of the ammo, I'd get the Mav 88 (either barrel, I like the shorter, but some like the 20", personal preference), and ...
- Magpul Mossberg SGA 500 stock
- XS Big Dot front sight (or TruGlo lightpipe style if you like those)
- Magpul forward sling mount
- Magpul MS1 Two-Point Quick-Adjust Sling
- Magpul Industries Paraclip
- Velcro 5 or 6 round shot card for the receiver

I'm going to guess that complete setup will be about the price of the 590, but it will be an awesome HD shotgun setup.

This photo has a little different selection of parts, but is close to what you'd end up with.

774-2.jpg

Guns usually don't go bad "sitting". ;) Your choice should be based on what you are going to do with it.

For HD, the 88/20" is hard to beat. If you think you might want to get a 28" barrel for hunting down the road but want HD now, the 88/18" would be the choice. If you want to go hunting, then the 88/28" would be wise especially if the barrel is vent rib ported. The 590A1 will be the best to hold its value, especially the 20" version and especially if it is one of the special editions with features. If that is a 18" then that is a so-so price for it.

Wow, that a tough one.

I have a 20" Security 7+1 Mav88 that is a great defense shotgun as well as around the farm.

I also have a 20" 8+1 590 that I carried for years as a police duty shotgun, kept in the trunk.

If I could only buy one then I think it would be the 590, but truth is it's the 88 that stands in the corner of the room and the 590 is in the safe.

I agree with the guys above. Both are great guns, though the 590 is more durable and easily accessorized. I own 2 500's. I personally would get the 590. I'm an accessories guy. I love tactical guns. Although 80% of the accessories will fit the 88. $400 is a steal for a 590. I paid that 10 years ago for my nickel 500 with just a pistol grip. Hell if you can, get them both.

I don't think the 500 is more durable, they are equals in that regard. Again, except for the safety location, they are pretty much identical.

I'm trying to sell a 28" ribbed barrel and wood furniture from an old Mossberg 500 for someone who wants to dress up a Mav 88 for hunting. But for HD, it's a great option. If you only want an HD gun, the 590 may be the way to go, but I'd be lots happier with the setup I described on the 88 for about the same dough.

Can't go wrong with either. If you are primarily interested in an HD gun, though, the 590 might be just the ticket as is.

I don't think the 500 is more durable, they are equals in that regard. Again, except for the safety location, they are pretty much identical.

I'm trying to sell a 28" ribbed barrel and wood furniture from an old Mossberg 500 for someone who wants to dress up a Mav 88 for hunting. But for HD, it's a great option. If you only want an HD gun, the 590 may be the way to go, but I'd be lots happier with the setup I described on the 88 for about the same dough.

Can't go wrong with either. If you are primarily interested in an HD gun, though, the 590 might be just the ticket as is.
The 590A1 has a beefier barrel. All 590's have a metal safety and trigger guard. The 500 and 88 has polymer in those places. The military considered the 590 more reliable because of the metal parts. The 88's foregrip doesn't change as easily as the 500 and 590. It is pinned, where as the 590 and 500 screw on, so they are easily changed. The 500 can readily exchange the metal parts and barrel from a 590. An 88 can't as these parts are different. Those are the differences. But yes very similar.

Last edited:
Of course, I know and understand that, Yacol J. I mentioned it in post #3.

My point is the difference for a civilian is likely immaterial. Look at the durability of polymer pistols. Once considered "Tupperware guns" by old-school 1911 aficionados, the durability of engineering polymer is unquestioned these days, and militaries all over the world are using polymer pistols. I've never actually seen a case of a failed Mossberg trigger assembly, although there is a lot of "Internet echo" about it. When abused by people not familiar with the gun who muck up the reassembly it could be possible to damage it, but it's stood the test of six decades and millions of shotguns sold.

Your argument is like the Remington 870 fans' argument about needing a steel receiver. Is the Remmy steel receiver 'beefier' than the Mossberg aluminum alloy receiver? Without a doubt. But with the steel/steel lockup of bolt/barrel it makes no practical, real-world difference, which is why the military did not worry about that in choosing the Mossberg over the Remington.

The 590 and 590-A1 are beefier, and that matters to a military where a gun will be shot, maintained, and abused by lots of people over many years. The 500 is plenty beefy enough for most civilians and the difference, while real in an academic sense, probably make no meaningful difference to the average shooter. If you are the type who just has to have MILSPEC stuff, by all means, go ahead with the 590 series gun, it's a wonderful tool. But it's a preference matter, IMO, not a real practical consideration.

If you are an instructor at a school that teaches shotgun courses, maybe it matters. My Mossberg 500, with Magpul furniture and sling, an XS Big Dot front sight, and Browncoat Tactical shotcard is all I'll ever need and my son and grandson will probably be using that gun long after I'm gone. I maintain my position that getting the Mossberg and modifying it MAY be a better choice for this shooter than the 590. But he really can't go wrong with either decision. Of course. YMMV. But I'd still go my route over the 590. It's a personal choice about how to allocate resources.

For the OP, Yacol J is correct in that the 590A1 does have the metal trigger guard and heavier barrel walls. If you're going to go to a shotgun course every year, and shoot the crap out of it on a regular basis, it may be a better option. But if you do one shotgun course, and shoot it a couple times a year or less for proficiency the 500 will be a perfectly adequate HD weapon for you, and will likely long outlive you.

How much is the "beefy" worth to you, it's a question of diminishing marginal returns to each dollar spent. In the end only you can put a price on the differences and decide if it makes a difference to you.

Last edited:
Get the 590 if you can afford it, but you can't go wrong with the Mav if it fit's your budget better. The 590 has the tang safety and is drilled and tapped for optics, and you can upgrade the forend, so the differences might not matter depending what you're going to use it for.

And the 590 has a polymer trigger guard and safety, it's the 590A1 that has the heavier barrel and metal trigger group.

All 590's have a metal safety and trigger guard. The 500 and 88 has polymer in those places.

That is incorrect, but you're somewhat close.

OP. If you and a few buddies hit the range and do some practical drills and say you have a 590A1 and another guy has a Mav 88 and the other guys have Remingtons and Berettas you will all compete and you will all do fine. The choice boils down to intended use, budget, how it shoulders and a little bit of cool factor!

Wow! That's an impressive video! Makes my point about is it beefy "enough" pretty well. I noticed the safety position on the Mav is forward of the trigger guard, whereas the Remmy 870 is at the back of the trigger guard. I don't know how big a deal that is ergonomically speaking, but the folks who have the Maverick 88 love them, and part of that may be a point of pride at having not spent much money. No doubt the 590A1 is the better shotgun, it's a pays your money and takes your choices kind of thing.

But that video. Wow! Nice find!

As discussed here before the 590 with a metal trigger group and heavy barrel was a result of a Navy shipboard requirement given the tendency for sailors to contact steel bulkheads with weapons and dent the barrels. While the heavy barreled 590 fits that requirement anyone who carries one of these models for long periods of time will likely wish they had a 500 or 88 by the end of the day.

My advice to the OP would be to choose the model you like best and go out and run a few hundred rounds through the gun before you decide what "accessories" you really need for your proposed use. Check the LOP and your ability to point the gun. Many folks find that the stock LOP is too long for them especially for HD or CQB applications. Thus the fit is much more important than the cool add ons.

Regards

I suspect the LOP on the Mav 88 and the 590A1 are the same, or very nearly so, but I cannot confirm that. I will say that the Magpul SGA stock has spacers and I run a shorter LOP on my 500 security than I do on my 930 (which is stock). I like a shorter LOP on a defensive shotgun, maybe by 0.75-1.0" shorter.

In addition to Magpul, Hogue makes some excellent stocks and forends for Mossberg shotguns. They have various LOPs to choose from and folks I know use their 12 inch LOP on various models.

Both brands, while different designs, seem to be good choices.

Regards

Ok, thought I would update. I still hadn't decided then a friend came by and talked me into a new route. He just bought a Maverick 88 18.5 and put 10 shots through it of slugs and it is accurate. He wants that 590 because he said he wants to starts doing shotgun shoots around and even tho the Maverick shot good he would feel better with the 590. I figured since he gave $250 that he would at least want close to that for it but he really shocked me with the price. He said he would take $150 for it and its only been shot 10 times, only scratch on it is a small one less than an inch long about an inch from the barrel end where he banged it by accident on the car door getting it out. So I told him sold and I paid him $150, what do you guys think? I think I did good. Thanks

Boomer, it would have taken me about 10 seconds to get the $150 dollars out of my pocket.

You got a deal! And we call those dings and scratches love marks.

Good on you and congrats on owning a fine shotgun. Now go spend the $100 you save on ammo and go have fun.

Regards

You live a charmed life, that’s terrific! You basically have a 500 with a different safety you can surely get used to. The TFBTV and Hickock 45 prove it’s a capable weapon for sure.

Back