• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 as shipped...

bani

I have seen owners mention that their 930 arrived nearly packed solid with grease.

Mine arrived nearly dry as a bone? :?

mine also came with:
  • loose forearm
  • loose magazine tube
  • loose recoil pad

fixed the last two easily enough, still working on a solution for the forearm.

i have seen people complain the magazine tube is difficult to remove. mine was barely finger tight :shock:

Mine was shipped with only a light amount of grease. Gun functions just fine so far, now at 400 shells and rising.

mag tube was loose again, so i removed it to clean the threads and get easier access to the receiver.

out popped TWO followers... :shock:

bani said:
mag tube was loose again, so i removed it to clean the threads and get easier access to the receiver.

out popped TWO followers... :shock:

TWO followers?! WTF!! I hope OFM is looking at this blog....that's really bad....sounds like Mossberg needs to clean house.

Two followers was the first thing I checked when I couldn't stuff seven 2 3/4 shells in the magazine. Unfotunately it wasn't the case. It would have been nice to have an extra follower and fixed my magazine capacity problem. Ha, wishful thinking.

mine also came with:
  • loose forearm
  • loose magazine tube
  • loose recoil pad

fixed the last two easily enough, still working on a solution for the forearm.

I put an o-ring on the magazine tube just before installing the forearm, that solved the loose problem on mine.

I will NEVER recommend anyone buy a 930 SPX. Roll of the dice on any firearm is a bad thing..

Seams Mossberg is more concerned with $$$ and production then quality control....THEY NEED TO CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figures their ISO certification is only for the North Haven, CT plant...it sure isn't where their SPX is made.

http://www.mossberg.com/iso_certificate.pdf

I've never heard a company as large as Mossberg with such inconsistent manufacturing processes.

SoCal...most of your comments have made me really, really apprehensive about my purchase; however, this one slightly encourages me. My 930 (breacher) that is on the way was made in North Haven. I sure hope that means I will be largely free of the issues many of you have experienced with the SPX/Blackwater.

azcederburg said:
SoCal...most of your comments have made me really, really apprehensive about my purchase; however, this one slightly encourages me. My 930 (breacher) that is on the way was made in North Haven. I sure hope that means I will be largely free of the issues many of you have experienced with the SPX/Blackwater.

That's what I don't get, there are seldom any complaints or issues with the regular 930 or other variants; but there are soooooo many issues with the 930SPX

may be related to the short barrel in the spx vs the non spx models. wonder if reliability would increase if someone put a 28" barrel on an spx.

There are others among us who've installed a shorter HD barrel on their 930 field models and had zero issues. I'm under the impression, as SoCal said, that it has more to do with manufacturing/production process and QC oversight with the SPX models.

Are these problems just associated to the SPX model only are there other 930 models having the same Q/C problems. My gun started out as a 930 Home Security model, I have had zero problems with the gun other than spring and loading issues, it took 3 months to receive the SPX barrel with the hi-viz front sight b/c of q/c . After buying and installing all the SPX parts the gun runs like a champ, the spring issue was the H/S came with a 22 1/2 inch spring and the SPX spring was 36". As far as the "Special Purpose" goes, the H/S is the base model of every other S/P version, correct me if I'm wrong. I have a loose trigger assembly and I think everybody here who owns a 930 has the same problem, I have seen other questions asked if you would trust your SPX with your life, with me the answer is no the first thing I grab for is my Sig Sauer pistol my 930 is just for back up if I need more firepower. I have ordered my 590A1 from Dicks to use as the "keeper" of my castle and the 930 will just be my fun gun.

BenSamp said:
Are these problems just associated to the SPX model only are there other 930 models having the same Q/C problems. My gun started out as a 930 Home Security model, I have had zero problems with the gun other than spring and loading issues, it took 3 months to receive the SPX barrel with the hi-viz front sight b/c of q/c . After buying and installing all the SPX parts the gun runs like a champ, the spring issue was the H/S came with a 22 1/2 inch spring and the SPX spring was 36". As far as the "Special Purpose" goes, the H/S is the base model of every other S/P version, correct me if I'm wrong. I have a loose trigger assembly and I think everybody here who owns a 930 has the same problem, I have seen other questions asked if you would trust your SPX with your life, with me the answer is no the first thing I grab for is my Sig Sauer pistol my 930 is just for back up if I need more firepower. I have ordered my 590A1 from Dicks to use as the "keeper" of my castle and the 930 will just be my fun gun.

Based on all the research I have done (including SoCal's comments ;) ... I think most of the QC issues come out of the Mossberg factory in Texas. The Mavericks and Mossy's that are assembled in New Haven seem to have much fewer QC issues. Very, very interesting. There are some mighty fine products that come out of the great state of Texas (I would love to buy an STI...but, major cha-ching!), and it saddens me that the Mossy name is being tarnished by subpar standards at a Lone Star state factory.

There is a old saying " you get what pay for" meaning you hire workers and pay them substandard wages and not giving them any motivation or opportunities to better themselves or feel good about the products that they are making. The U.S. was use to being a nation of producers, now we've become a nation of consumers, what ever happened to "MADE IN THE USA WITH PRIDE".

Wow I've had my 930 SPX now for two months at the range with it twice and 150 rounds of Winchester Military 00 Buck with no issues yet. Hope that is the way it stays. I did disassemble and cleaned it before the first round that is what I always do with new guns.

Based on all the research I have done (including SoCal's comments ;) ... I think most of the QC issues come out of the Mossberg factory in Texas. The Mavericks and Mossy's that are assembled in New Haven seem to have much fewer QC issues. Very, very interesting. There are some mighty fine products that come out of the great state of Texas (I would love to buy an STI...but, major cha-ching!), and it saddens me that the Mossy name is being tarnished by subpar standards at a Lone Star state factory.

Won't go into details about what was wrong with my 930 ALL PURPOSE, but will just say the barrel was cracked at a seam near the receiver, which resulted in a gas leak. Happy to say that it was replaced within one week. But still not sure I am happy with this new Mossberg. Seems like they have lost my confidence. So much confidence loss that I just purchased a new WEATHERBY. And folks, I don't care if the Weatherby is made in Turkey as perhaps they are taking more pride in their workmanship, than what our own USA workers are showing !

My 930 JM Pro
Back from our gunsmith...

Cartridge bearing too tight. The measuring gauge does'nt even fit to the closest allowed marking!

Chokethread drillend/cutted wrong/tilted. If the choke is screwed in you see (from the muzzleside) a edge on the right side. It's not a prob of the choke because his wall thickness is equally.

One year waiting for the gun, one trainingsession and now back as warranty case! My first national championship with her is already canceled :-/

Back