• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX and Winchester PDX1 Defense Ammo

SoCal Choppas

.270 WIN
Just a quick FYI:

Today I ran 4 consecutive rounds of the PDX1 and it cycled the shotgun fine. I was kinda surprised it would, since this 12 gauge ammo is rated at 1150 feet per second and I've had no luck with ammo rated 1150 fps and below in my 2 930 SPXs. I will tell you, my shoulder is tell me this ammo is kicking more then 1150 fps ammo, it feels like I'm shooting the Centurion Slugs rated at 1400 fps.

I thought this will be my HD Ammo I will keep with the SPX, but I had read a few reviews on this ammo and seen the Terminal Ballistic episode of the TV show Shooting Gallery on the 410 version of the PDX1. I seemed to experience the same as with many others, the PDX1 slug is general spot on the point of aim, but the buckshot is way off; I only found 1 pellet hole out of the 4 rounds I shot. (I will note, to be fair; I was shooting from 50yds from the target). I would be concerned about stray rounds hitting un-intended targets. It seamed to me the best home defense ammo for a 12 gauge will be 00buck and with recommending the Hornady TAP defense 00 buckshot. Maybe this ammo I would carry Hog Hunting or just in case of a bear charging.

As with any specialized ammo, you should always test a few rounds for reliability. Most people don't because of the cost of the specialized ammo, so whether it's handgun, rifle or shotgun ammo; test it. This is especially true of semi-automatic handguns feeding hollow point rounds.

Per Winchester's Website:
PD_PDX1-12_IL_Disperse.jpg

PD_PDX1-12-IL.jpg

"Product Symbol: S12PDX1

Description:
When it comes to the safety of you or your family, choose the shotshell load that delivers a threat-stopping combination of two distinct personal defense technologies: the PDX1™. The 12-gauge Supreme Elite PDX1 features a distinctive black hull, black oxide high-base head and 3 pellets of Grex® buffered 00 plated buckshot nested on top of a 1 oz rifled slug. The result is the ideal, tight patterning personal defense load. The slug/buckshot combination provides optimum performance at short & longer ranges while compensating for aim error."

A lot of the recoil you notice is due to the payload . Some people can tell a difference between an ounce of birdshot vs a one ounce slug rated at the same FPS. I haven’t experimented with this but I have heard this several times while I was gathering reloading information.

Looks like it works good to me.....when people say it’s a gimmick, ask them "you shouldn’t have a problem holding my target then?”.....

I got 6 more rounds. I'll try it again with targets at a maximum 21 feet, which I think is a realistic maximum distance shooting inside a house.

Back