• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX Blackwater Review/Issues

About 2 months ago I purchased a brand new Mossberg 930 SPX Blackwater Edition. When I went to the gun store I had no intention of making a purchase that day. I was just intending to fire off a few at the range when the Blackwater Edtion caught my eye. I didn’t even know Mossberg had that model. I have wanted an SPX for almost a year, and wasn’t even looking for a Pistol Grip, however in a moment of weakness I bought it for $650.

I like the look of the Blackwater symbol on the side, but besides the lower profile, AR type sights, I can’t really see any difference between this and the standard PG 930 SPX. Personally I think I over paid by $50 to $100 just for that symbol on the gun.

Anyway, I had the chance to fire the shotgun right at the shop as I was waiting for a lane anyway. To my disappointment, from the very first round it failed to eject. We tried to give it some more oil and use stronger rounds (started out with Target/Game loads, then progress to buck shot), however nothing would move the bolt back enough to eject. Frustrated I left my new shotgun with the shop for their gunsmith to look at.

A few days later I got a call back that the issue had been resolved. Apparently a part, most likely the gas ring, was installed backwards from the factory. What’s even more bizarre, is that the 3 other new 930 Blackwaters they had on the self had the same issue. I test fired about 30 rounds when I picked it up, and although it did eject fine, a few still failed to fully eject, which I just attributed to the gun needing to be broken in.

My next range visit I fired about 50 Federal Multi Purpose rounds, 5 Winchester Super X 00 Buck and 5 Winchester Super X Slugs. Everything was working great and I was feeling pretty good about my shotgun. Sights where dead on and the gun was running great, until my last 5 Multi Purpose rounds. One of the shells stuck in the chamber after firing, apparently with a broken shell from the extractor. I’ve attached a picture. I had to use needle nose pliers to remove it. I figured it was just cheap Walmart Bulk ammo and went home to clean my gun.

I had to Google instructions on how to field strip the shotgun as it didn’t seem clear in the manual. I wasn’t able to remove the charging handle to gain access to the bolt, but cleaned around it best I could. I can’t fine any info on where to oil the gun, but put some in the bolt area where it slides in the chamber. I cleaned out the gas ring, and carefully put it back together as best I could looking at the manual. I feared I might have put it in backwards, but figured I’d find out real quick the next time I shot it.

Next trip went fine so I put the ring in ok. I think I might have had one failure to eject, but everything else was fine. It wasn’t until my forth and last range trip that I had my worst issue. A few failure to ejects, another round stuck in the chamber with the broken shell and the worst part, is that when I got back to clean it, the Choate Pistol Grip stock was cracked! Attached is a picture of that.

I tried calling Mossberg this morning. The 800 363-3555 number just rang and rang, with no answer. I then tried the 203 230-5300 number and heard that it would take 30 mins to speak someone. I left a message and haven’t heard anything back yet. I hope their customer service is better than what it’s looking like so far. I’ll update my experience when I hear back.

I can’t find any other posted problems with broken Federal Multi Purpose shells getting stuck in 930’s or any other shotgun. Curious to see if anyone else has run into this problem and if they think it’s ammo or shotgun related.

Attachments

• Crack.jpg
    Crack.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 8,007
  • Shell.jpg
    Shell.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 8,007
Primer still looks rounded at the edge and pin strike does not look cratered. I was hoping to see a visible sign of overpressure but it looks normal to me. I wonder if the inside of the stock shows any other cracks along the seam, maybe a bad curing of the stock when made? That gun would make me feel sick and hurt if it were mine.

Either way, send the shell and stock back for a new gun. Too many bad problems from the get go going on with that firearm. Remember to ask for help (not demand it) when you actually talk to someone at the shop. They are good people dealing with upset customers.

Thanks megawatt. I actually got a hold of support this morning. Only had to wait on hold for about 10 mins. They will be sending me a prepaid shipping label so I can send them the gun. Said turn around is about 10 days. Looking forward to getting it fixed. I hear you about not demanding. Way better to be nice, at least until it's time not to be nice. Best line from Roadhouse. :)

Haha Roadhouse,

One of the best crappy movies ever! "I thought he'd be taller...". Glad to hear you're on your way to getting your 930 sorted out. Keep us posted...

Well so far I haven't been emailed a shipping label. Incidentally I did get a call back yesterday afternoon, past Mossberg's closing time from a voicemail message I left the day prior. Good to know they return calls. The support guy, I believe Dave, said that it takes 1 or 2 days to email out the shipping label. Hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow. Tired of looking at my broken 930 in its box on top of my bookshelf.

Now I'm starting to get pissed. Still no shipping label. I called again on Monday and they said I'd have it by the end of the day. I can only imagine how long the gun will be stuck with them if I'm ever able to ship it to them. Maybe I should contact Choate instead.

930Blackwater said:
Now I'm starting to get pissed. Still no shipping label. I called again on Monday and they said I'd have it by the end of the day. I can only imagine how long the gun will be stuck with them if I'm ever able to ship it to them. Maybe I should contact Choate instead.

Call Choate, I called Choate about a bent magazine extension and they told me they would replace it.
501-724-6193

Good post as I have a 930 on order and it should be ready in a few days. I think they should replace the entire 930 for you...they should have test fired it before packaging for sale.

They don't email shipping labels, they FedEx Ground a Fedex Ground return label. Turn around time is 10-15 business days after they log it in the shotgun.

Sounds like they hired new people to keep up with the demand, but failed to fully train them and QC. I'm going to bet they are going to replace your shotgun with another one...Black Water SPX 2.0

Good luck!

I got my shipping label emailed to me on Monday, so 13 days. I think they must get it shipped to them, then they scan it and email it to you. Not sure why this process takes so long. I checked the shipping status today and they received my shotgun. I emailed Erika at Mossberg to verify they have it but haven't heard anything. Hopefully they start the process of ordering a return label as soon as they get the shotgun, if not before. I'd hate to think they keep it for a week or two, then order a label, then wait another two weeks then ship it ground. We could very well be looking at a 4 to 8 week turn around from when I first called to when I get either a repaired or new shotgun. Is this common in the firearms industry?

From my interactions with other companies Mossberg even at their worst is still pretty good. Now by no means is this sort of turn around time acceptable and I will certainly be bringing this up when I meet with Mossberg at SHOT show in January.

I ran 50 rounds each of Walmart Birdshot and Federal PowerShok Buckshot through my 930-SPX (Blackwater) the first time out and had no feed/extraction problems. In all respects before and after shooting there was nothing out of the ordinary in operation. The Mossberg sticker on the box indicates it was packed 05/03/2011 so I'm guessing a GEN3 barrel.

It will be interesting to see how it feels after I get it back from AIMPRO who have added some goodies to it and put it through their service shop.
:lol:

I shot my 930 SPX Blackwater for the first time yesterday. I'm glad to report it ran flawlessly!. I only had 00 buck shot and Walmart birdshot and it took both without any problems. I was able to load 6 buck shots in the magazine and 7 of the bird shots.

Where did you go Spodeboy to shoot?

I'm taking my friends to Burro Canyon this coming Monday after Christmas to shoot Trap with my SPX...Should be blasting off at least 200 rounds of Clay/sporting birdshot..

SoCal Choppas said:
Where did you go Spodeboy to shoot?

I'm taking my friends to Burro Canyon this coming Monday after Christmas to shoot Trap with my SPX...Should be blasting off at least 200 rounds of Clay/sporting birdshot..

Hey SoCal Choppas, I went to Lytle Creek. They're $4 more than Burro Canyon, but I think I got my money's worth. My shoulder really hurt! I bought some cheap $2 corrugated sign with wire stands from Walmart and I taped my paper targets on. I'm surprised it how well the sign worked as a target. Let me know how much dirt road you have to drive to go to Burro Canyon.

No dirt road at all to go to burro canyon...but I hope the winds die down. I'll be in LA..so Burro Canyon is closer. If I was coming from my house Lytle Creek is closer.

Finally got my 930 Blackwater back today. Looking back, I guess the time table isn't so bad, you just have to know what to expect. My first call to Mossberg was on Nov 28th, but I didn't actually speak to a person until the next day. On Dec 12th I got my shipping label emailed to me. I sent it out that day and it arrived at Mossberg on Dec 14th. FedEx rang my doorbell this morning, Dec 31st at 9:30 with my shotgun. Considering the holidays, the total turn around time was just over a month.

My only gripe has to do with the communication. Their customer service department is obviously stretched thin. Erika informed me, only after I asked, that the following was done:

"The pressure ring, pressure spring, choate for pistol grip , and the forearm were all replaced."

I just went shooting in the desert yesterday, so it'll probably be a few weeks until I'll get to test it out, but I will let everyone know if I still have any issues.

Back