• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX first trip to the range (or "How Mike got a bruised

Hey all,

After stroking my new 930 SPX all week I finally got out to the range
today for the maiden voyage.

I brought a large box of assorted shells including:

Federal blue box target loads
Winchester AA Heavy Target loads
Remington Heavy Target loads
Winchester Super-X Buck in 00 and 0
Royal Rio low recoil 00
Winchester Ranger Low recoil 00

Today was function firing and breaking in at 10 yards.
I didn't even use a target. Just a silhouette cardboard.

I ran about 200 shells and it ate everything and ejected just fine
including the low recoil loads.

I'm extremely pleased with this gun. Next trip (and after my sore shoulder
recovers a bit) will be patterning some loads.

The couple of issues I had:

1) the mag tube got hung up a few times and I could not
load more than 5 shells. The it freed up and I could get past 5.

2) I still can only load only 6 shells of most loads. There are a few
low brass shells I can get 7 in.

3) the top of my thumb is really raw from loading shells
and getting my thumb caught between the mag tube and elevator.
I was bleeding by the end of my session.

So for 1 & 2 is this something that will smooth out?
Or should I be polishing something? Or is there an aftermarket
ext tube/spring combo that is more reliable?

For #3 am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Michael-

Re: 930 SPX first trip to the range (or "How Mike got a bru

Well, you can inspect the edge of the magazine tube and extension and see if there are any marks that may help identify where the spring might be hanging up at. Or you can get an entirely new magazine tube can be changed out so that there is no lip inside from the extension tube to catch the spring on etc. Nordic has them in various lengths. A couple of extra parts such as the cap and new spring and follower if you want should take care of any issues with the magazine extension. As far as the elevator? Well, I think that's just practice and technique that you will develope over time. Good luck.

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-12-ga-Sho ... -TB-12.htm

Paul

I installed a 28" Wolff XP spring and a GG&G follower. No problems since. I may eventually change out the extension tube, but mine is straight and is functioning fine at the moment. I did polish all of the internals with 000 steel wool and polish any sharp edges though.

I feel your (shoulder) pain. I had shoulder surgery earlier this year and recently went to the range for a 200 shot break-in. I ended up letting the range officer and another shooter get in on the action in order to save my shoulder. They were more than happy to "help me out" lol.

I recently installed a Limbsaver pad but haven't gotten to shoot with it yet. I've heard good reports with it on this gun.

Hope you get your issues resolved.

Hammer

Hammerhead100 said:
I did polish all of the internals with 000 steel wool and polish any sharp edges though.

Hammer,

Exactly which "internals" did you polish? Also, is the problem with the stock magazine
the spring itself? Or the extension tube? or the mag tube?

My Choate ext tube is straight and I can't really see or feel anything
wrong with it. Yet from time to time it would not accept any more than 5 rounds.
Then after shooting a string or two of 5 it would start accepting the 6th.

My shoulder was pretty bruised the next day but it's feeling a lot
better:) Too bad I probably won't get to the range for a couple of weeks
with my schedule.

M-

5 is most likely the shells or follower catching on the mag tube extension and the 6 shell problem is likely due to an oversized stock spring... mine was 38.5 inches and after taking off 10 inches it runs great but even with a thorough cleaning and oiling in the mag tube it sometimes hangs up and only takes 5 shells... i think switching out the follower and or the mag tube will fix this... I'll start with the cheaper follower and go from there.

MichaelW said:
Exactly which "internals" did you polish?

I wrapped one end of a hardwood dowel with the steel wool pad and chucked it up in my cordless drill. The diameter was a little larger than the inside diameter of the extension tube and the mag tube. Then I ran it through both several times to polish the tubes inside surface. After that, I cleaned and oiled the tubes inside. I always do the same thing to my smooth bore barrels also.

wool.jpg

How well does this polishing work? Is there a noticable difference in performance/recoil?

I've never oiled the magazine tubes on my guns, for fear of them collecting dust/dirst/etc.

Easy to get a near mirror finish, especially inside the barrel. When I say oil the tube, I meant oil and then wipe it down good. You are just leaving a very light surface film. In normal usage, not much dirt and dust will actually get inside the tube.

Here is a link to the AIP website discussing this procedure:
http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html

Back