• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 vs 590a1 Dilemma

I am looking for a multipurpose setup. I think a 20" barrel would fit me for what I would use it for HD, and hunting (varmint and hog). I would like to add a choke to the 20" barrel to make it a little more versatile.

The dilemma I have is I currently have a 930 field/security combo. The 18.5" barrel is a little too short and not threaded for a choke and the 28" is just too long for what I really need. I could get the 28" cut down to 20", threaded, and bead installed.

The other part of this is I am really thinking about trading the 930 for a 590a1. I am really itching to get back into a pump. If I went this route I could just have the barrel threaded.

Would you trade a semi for a pump?

I would call Mike Shain from AIMPRO who is one of our sponsors. You can have him thread your 18.5" barrel for your 930 and add a choke to it. He sets up 930 autoadera for 3gun competition with that exact setup.

It is definitely a tough choice between the Mossberg 590A1 and the 930 but I couldnt see selling the 930 just to get a 20" barrel.

I'm with Dan on this, I wouldnt trade the 930 in. In my case, if I want somethin different, I'm gonna have to save up for it!

I have the 590A1 and I love it!!! I think it would be perfect for the things you are wanting to do, you can def hunt with it, and if it were me, I'd get the 590A1 and have it threaded. Its a versatile platform that needs little changing if any at all. I think its a little heavy to carry in the field for like bird hunting, but I've done it. Though I think my lighter weight Persuader would be better (for bird hunting anyhow) and I'm thinkin about having that one threaded for accuchoke. AIMPRO can certainly hook you up on the 590A1!

What you are describing kinda sounds like after you've been driving an automatic for awhile, its knida nice to drive a manual again! I can relate!

DHonovich said:
I would call Mike Shain from AIMPRO who is one of our sponsors. You can have him thread your 18.5" barrel for your 930 and add a choke to it. He sets up 930 autoadera for 3gun competition with that exact setup.
SERIOUSLY!? Ive been thinking that my 930 SPX would be just an EXCELLENT 3-gun shotty..... Except the 18.5" barrel not being 'choked'... How much would/does he charge to thread out a 930 SPX barrel (newest 930 SPX, slightly thicker barrel if that helps?), and possibly the 590A1 9-shot I have on layaway for a choke set-up?? And you COULD still use it effectively w/slugs (Obviously!) and for SD/HD(obviously prob have a CB like choke for max spread at short home invasion distances)? THANK YOU!!! :D
Stephen

They do have what they call their custom shop, and they LOVE the 590A1! They can magna port the barrel, back bore, lengthened forcing cone, and polishing. The entire setup turns a basic cylinder bore barrel into essentially an IC, or improved cylinder designed to make something like the Federal Tac LE low recoil or Federal Premium VitalShok low recoil (PD132) with FliteControl even better! Still entirely usable with slugs as well.

I'm not sure what they are doing with the 930 yet, but my advice is the same as Dans, give em a call! I'm sure theyd be happy to hear from you as long as you tell them we said hi! :D

Back