• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A good day at the range

NCLawman

Our department has been in the process of getting everyone qualified over the last month...Pistols one week, rifles, then finally shotguns. Now when it comes to the first two I know I'm good, been asked on several occasions to join CIRT but I'll leave that to the younger guys. Anyway being older and having been in this field for about 16 years now, firearms instructors seem not to give too much instruction on the shotgun, so I usually keep doing what I was doing 20 years back when the military first instructed me on the 590 in a "Fam Fire".

I got to the range early because the shotgun that I was issued needed to be sighted in. This gave the range instructor. Our primary firearms instructor is an avid shooter and was able to give me some pointers with the shotgun that was new to me.

1. As a rifle shooter Ive always pulled to the rear with my support hand, he told me that with a pump action your pull to the rear is with the rear / shooting hand.
2. Square off with the target. Blading the body with the weak foot forward causes the but of the stock to rest on the edge of the shoulder and not in the "pocket" of the shoulder where it should be.
3. Lean forward with the weight of your body over the balls of your feet. This helps to counter act the affects of recoil and get back on target more quickly.

The adjustments felt uncomfortable mainly because it a new stance for me, but I'll dedicate myself to getting this down and we'll see how I progress.

For any firearms instructors out there. Please dont feel because an Officer has a bit of gray or has been around the block a few times that he is too set in thier ways to change.

I think you will really like the shooting style once you get the hang of it! It doesnt take long to for it to feel comfortable and my daughter shoots that way too! :D

Back