• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A Perfect Day!

Sn3aKyGuY

.30-06
So, have you ever had one of those days where everything just went right. Then to top it off a few surprises came along with it? Well, that was today for me. Earlier this week a buddy and I made plans to go out to his cousins farm and shoot off the G19 and Mossy 500 as well as his cousins Remi 870. Yesterday plans kind of took a nose dive and my buddy informed me he had some last minute family things to go to so we wouldn't be able to go out shooting. I was bummed, but stuff happens so I figured I'll just sleep in today and call it good.

Well, about 11 am (I work nights, so 11 am is early for me) I get a text saying plans changed and did I want to still go out shooting. I shot him a text back saying hell yea and told him I would get up in an hour or so and call him. Well, while I was trying to lay back down, FedEx showed up with my 18.5" barrel that I wasn't even expecting to be here till next week. So of course I had to get up and play with that thing. Told my wife what was going on and since this was the first Sat. she's had off in over a month we decided to get a babysitter for the boys and make a day of it together.

So I call up my buddy and he informs me he's going to bring his 12 year old brother with him so he can learn to shoot. Awesome, I always enjoy teaching first timers and my buddy was kind of new himself having only shot a few long guns in his life. So I start packing up everything while the wife took the boys over to the babysitters and when she got back we all met up at Bass Pro Shop to pick up some extra hearing/eye protection for my buddy and his brother. They were having a good deal on Winchester Target & Game Load bricks, so we picked up a few boxes of that as well as a box of clays and of course we couldn't get out of there without the wife spotting some new sunglasses.

We get out to the farm and my buddies cousin ended up bringing not only his Remi in 12g, but a 20g as well for the little brother. All in all we ended up having 100 rnds of Federal TruBall low recoil slugs (ended up shooting about 75 of those), 200 rounds of 20g target & game (ended up shooting about 50 as the little dude wound up liking the 12g), 25 Remi Home Defense (ended up shooting prob. 12-15 of them) and 350 Remi UMC 9mm (shot every single one). Blew all sorts of things up from milk jugs filled with water, to metal trash cans (the kitchen type) and even an old basketball backboard. Had a cardboard backer that holds 12 clays on it at a time that we utilized as well as a few we threw. The throwing didn't last long though because we forgot a thrower. I even got my wife to shoot my Mossy 500 4-5 times, which is amazing because she's scared of shotguns after one of her ex's had her shoot a 3 1/2" turkey load when she was younger.

And then to top off the night, the wife and I ended up going out on a date for the first time in ... jeez, I don't even know how long. At least 2 years. Turned out to be a totally awesome day. Oh, AND my ATI forend wrench was setting on the porch when we got back from shooting. Another toy I wasn't expecting to show up until next week. I ended up collecting on all the hulls and brass to start stockpiling and I got to sight in my SPARC red dot sight. Man, today was just great. The only downer was I couldn't find the camera before we left, but it's not a day I'll soon forget.

Congrats brother!

I love hearing about days like that. Sounds like you guys all had a great time...

Sure did. My buddies little brother is a natural as well. After some basic instruction on shooting pistols he hit a clay about 45 yards out on his first round! I said beginners luck, but he was pulling it off pretty consistently. My wife got in some needed practice drawing from concealment and is really psyched about getting her permit to carry and her new pistol.

A wife willing to shoot with you is awesome! That alone would have made my day right there. Oh, and the date afterward. Lucky!

Sn3aKyGuY said:
My wife got in some needed practice drawing from concealment and is really psyched about getting her permit to carry and her new pistol.

Very cool, what carry pistol she go with?

She's been wanting a Glock 26 for a while now. The only thing I worry about with that is she has carpel tunnel and after about 45 rounds out of my G19 her wrists are sore, so I don't know how bad the G26 is going to bother her to practice with.

I've got both and I don't notice a whole lot of difference between the two.

I run the Pearce Grip +2 extensions (PG-2733) on my G26 mags so I still get a solid three finger grip. It's snappy, but no more so than the G19.

Sounds like an awesome day! +1 to the pierce grip extension on the g26; I had one on mine and loved it.

the_mule said:
Have your wife call mine please. HA. I can't even get her to touch the Mossberg.
When I first read this ^ I thought it said, "Have your wife call me please." ... I was like, W T Fudgesauce!? Then I reread it. :lol: Yea, it took some convincing. She shot 2 of the Fed TruBall slugs and 2 Win target loads and said she couldn't even tell a difference. I'm defiantly going to be replacing the ATI pad with a LimbSaver though. The ATI isn't bad, but it's not quite what I thought it was going to be.

The SPARC was almost dead on out of the box, which was cool. I still want to get it to the range and put it on a rest to make sure it's 100% before next deer season, but I got plenty of time for that. I did have an issue with the 2x multiplier that came with it, but I'll post up more about that in the review section. Overall, though, it's a nice red dot for $200.

The sling plate that comes with the ATI stock ... well, lets just say it's not meant for HK style hooks found on single point (and other?) type of slings. I tore that thing all up. I'll get some pictures up of it in my 500 thread. My GG&G front and rear loop hooks (as well as my AFG2, finally) came in today and man it's a world of difference in material thickness.

Back