• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

a590A1 updates to improve it?

dog229

.22LR
Dog229 Here,
I just got my 590A1 out of layaway and by talking to Mossberg i found that it was made in Sept. of 1998. The gun is like new condition and i was wondering if any internal changes are needed from then until now in current production to improve it for function and reliability if any can do just such. I was also wanting to know of any aftermarket items would need to be gotten for it also. My style is the 18.5 barrel with bead sight. What would be a better sight system for iron sights or i would really like a red dot system. Let me hear from you guys!
Dog229 Gone

Sights are such a personal preference thing. Beads are good for getting on target quick but not adjustable. If it happens to be off you can learn where to hold but it will be off for anyone else who shoots it. I like ghost rings, adjustable and quicker than traditional iron sights. But you will have to get the front post silver soldered on and the barrel refinished after soldering. Red dots work well, quicker than ghost rings, adjustable. But they run on a battery, and most of the inexpensive ones are weak as far as impact. I have been running a PA micro reflex green dot mounted in a Burris picatinny protector base and love it. I keep a battery and a wrench for changing it on the gun at all times, and the Burris base protects the sight very good…..nothing is as reliable as the bead you already have.

Dog229 Here,
Thanks oli for the info. i really don'thave a gunsmith locally i trust to do the silver solder so it will be a electronic dot system but must be compact. I will work on my bead sighting on target for know and just have fun with the gun.
Dog229 Gone!

Mossberg has upgraded the trigger group on the 590A1 several times since your shotgun was made. If yours hasn't been updated there have been a couple of pins and springs that are now stronger and made of better materials.

A set of ghost ring sights go for $70. Can you purchase a new heavy walled barrel for the 590A1 that would already have the front sight mounted? all of the barrels listed on the site go for less than $200.

What does a good red dot cost compared to that?

Back