• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

About to purchase my first shotgun and have a few questions!

Hey am I glad to have found this place! Im just about to purchase my first shotgun and I have narrowed it down to a Mossberg 500 after a lot of research. Now after extensive research I have some more minor questions Id like to get cleared up. I am a member at 2 other forums where users are quite helpful but I think here I will find better knowledge of the particular shotgun.

This is the gun I am going toward right now. The reason is it offers the best of both worlds at a good price. I was initially going for the Persuader/cruiser but decided against as these are not as easily exchangeable with certain barrels ive been told.

Anyway on to my questions:

1: What size action slide do I need to buy? I assume the gun I am getting has the one piece polymer and I really want to put the classic corn-cob / ribbed style fore-end on the gun so which assembly do I need? I read the thread describing these and it says you can fit any assembly on any gun within its gauge so which size should one choose? And out of curiosity why do mossberg not offer one piece polymer corn-cob style fore-ends to be bought separate?

2: Are swivel studs usually installed already?

3: I want to add a heat shield mostly for aesthetic pleasure. There is an indestructible light polymer version on ebay that people seem to like and its supposed to work well even being polymer.. Im just wondering would this be the way to go or stick with mossberg original metal?

4: Any recommendations on shot shell holder. I like the ones that sit left side of receiver not on the stock. How are these usually mounted?

5: Do all new Mossberg 500's come tapped and drilled?

6: This package I am looking at comes with and 18.5" and 28" barrel what other size barrels are available and for what purpose?

7: I seen this high vis magazine follower in a video and thought it was a cool upgrade. But looking at the pic it looks a lot different in size to the regular follower I seen in other pics.

This is all I got for now :) I look forward to hanging out here!

Any help much appreciated!

Hi and welcome to MO!

1. The longer action slide tube is the one for the ribbed corn cob style forend. But, if you find know the shorter, Hogue Grips makes an extension nut.

2. It should come with studs. They may or may not be installed but its an easy thing as the holes are there.

3. My preference is for the Mossberg heat shield.

4. There are a couple styles. CDM Gear carries one that is similar to the Mesa Tactical, there's the Tac-Star style, and there is the Velcro type, Vang Comp had a heavy duty type with the Velcro. I honestly can't think of others right now. The non Velcro use the holes in the receiver but replace hardware. I don't like these because it has to come off to break the gun down. It's an extra step and I like simplicity and minimimal drama. I use the Triad Tactical stock packs but those are on the side of the stock, not the receiver as you're looking for.

5. Yes.

6. Any number of lengths will work with that set up except 20" barrels designed for the longer magazine tube. My recommendation, if you buy another barrel, get one that's threaded for choke tubes. It should include a few chokes. Barrels and chokes are meant for all manner of sport and game from skeet and trap to deer, small game, wing shooting, waterfowl, and turkey. The chokes help sort out the load choice and intended range or distance. Or the other way around, but its based on want you want to shoot at. Also there are fully rifled barrels, sometimes with integral scope bases meant for use with sabot slugs for deer hunting.

7. They may be slightly different on the face, but the way they work is the same though not all are created equal. There are different materials, aluminum, stainless, and polymers. I think some have something of a "tail" to prevent binding. But just about anything is an upgrade compared to stock. In the 500 models, I think the magazine tube has to be removed from the receiver to install it.

Hi and welcome to MO!

1. The longer action slide tube is the one for the ribbed corn cob style forend. But, if you find know the shorter, Hogue Grips makes an extension nut.

2. It should come with studs. They may or may not be installed but its an easy thing as the holes are there.

3. My preference is for the Mossberg heat shield.

4. There are a couple styles. CDM Gear carries one that is similar to the Mesa Tactical, there's the Tac-Star style, and there is the Velcro type, Vang Comp had a heavy duty type with the Velcro. I honestly can't think of others right now. The non Velcro use the holes in the receiver but replace hardware. I don't like these because it has to come off to break the gun down. It's an extra step and I like simplicity and minimimal drama. I use the Triad Tactical stock packs but those are on the side of the stock, not the receiver as you're looking for.

5. Yes.

6. Any number of lengths will work with that set up except 20" barrels designed for the longer magazine tube. My recommendation, if you buy another barrel, get one that's threaded for choke tubes. It should include a few chokes. Barrels and chokes are meant for all manner of sport and game from skeet and trap to deer, small game, wing shooting, waterfowl, and turkey. The chokes help sort out the load choice and intended range or distance. Or the other way around, but its based on want you want to shoot at. Also there are fully rifled barrels, sometimes with integral scope bases meant for use with sabot slugs for deer hunting.

7. They may be slightly different on the face, but the way they work is the same though not all are created equal. There are different materials, aluminum, stainless, and polymers. I think some have something of a "tail" to prevent binding. But just about anything is an upgrade compared to stock. In the 500 models, I think the magazine tube has to be removed from the receiver to install it.

Thanks for answering my questions. So for example if one had the smaller tube that hogue nut will essentially fulfill the purpose and make it compatible with the fore-ends made for longer tubes?

Is it true all the new 500's are coming with the single piece polymer? And is there a reason they dont sell different options for them in this single piece style (I notice the manual doesn't even touch on changing out the fore-end grip) If mine does come with the single polymer piece, would it be recommended to get the longer assembly tube? (obviously if it fits the fore-end i want but is this the most common size for after market grips.

I cant find an official mossberg corn-cob fore-end can anyone provide a link?

CDM gear ones look good as do the mesa which seems to be the most popular. Tacstar also looks good maybe looks a little cheaper.

So is there no 20" Barrel available for this set up just out of curiosity? I think its funny it will take 18 - 28 but not 20" .. As it comes with the 18.5" and the 28" I dont think ill need an additional barrel anytime soon. It comes with 3 chokes also :) . If I do get a barrel it would be the standoff / breacher barrel.

PS I have never seen anyone with a side saddle and a stock saddle, is this considered overkill haha?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
My replies in red

Thanks for answering my questions. So for example if one had the smaller tube that hogue nut will essentially fulfill the purpose and make it compatible with the fore-ends made for longer tubes?
yes

Is it true all the new 500's are coming with the single piece polymer?
I have no idea.

I cant find an official mossberg corn-cob fore-end can anyone provide a link?
havlin sales, numrich gun parts, ebay may have some

CDM gear ones look good as do the mesa which seems to be the most popular. Tacstar also looks good maybe looks a little cheaper.
I have a few plastic ones. I like metal better, but the plastic ones do work.

So is there no 20" Barrel available for this set up just out of curiosity? I think its funny it will take 18 - 28 but not 20" .. As it comes with the 18.5" and the 28" I dont think ill need an additional barrel anytime soon. It comes with 3 chokes also :) . If I do get a barrel it would be the standoff / breacher barrel.
The 20" barrel usually comes on a gun with a longer mag tube, thus why they are the way they are.

PS I have never seen anyone with a side saddle and a stock saddle, is this considered overkill haha?
Not at all.
But then again, I also have a sling on mine that holds 25 spare shells, so....

Thanks!!

Just touching back on the barrels. You say the 20" is usually for the 7+1 models right? But do you mean this is just the minimum for them.. When looking at barrels at different stores is doesn't actually say this one is for the 5+1 and this one is for the 7+1 etc... So how does one discern the one they need? Sorry if thats a silly question.. thx

the 8 round mag tube is nearly as long as the 20" barrel itself.

the other is shorter.

you just have to look and see what's on the gun.

the 8 round mag tube is nearly as long as the 20" barrel itself.

the other is shorter.

you just have to look and see what's on the gun.

Yea I know that. But im wondering if the 5+1 models accept all barrel lengths .. If it takes an 18 and more I cant see why it wont take a 20.. I do understand the barrels for the longer tube are different as they meet in different spot. But do 20" not exist for the 5+1 models? Im just trying to understand the way they do things.

OK, here are two pictures of the barrels so maybe it'll make it easier to understand.

18 inch barrel with lower capacity mag tube is the most common and will take longer barrels, BUT you need to note the location of the barrel lug that the mag tube locks into. Highlighted with the red arrow

25967bbb-b019-4bcb-bcc1-570328cb1568_zpsq9bppywy.jpg

6239a67a-7e2d-4a29-81f1-287b6d0122c3_zpsh0hgh0mc.jpg

For whatever reason, those 20" guns whether a 500 or 590, have magazine tubes specific to the barrel. The only exception I know of is the 835 20" barrel which fits all 835s and shorter magazine tube 590s.

Incedentally, the 590s and 835s also accept magazine extensions.

A question I forgot to ask you trusty Mossberg owners.. I already pretty much know the answer just making sure!! I read an article where they described how the trigger housing would break and this is why the 590 have metal trigger assembly. The same article went on to read that it could not be repaired or replaced rendering the shotgun useless. But upon further research im pretty certain that the trigger assembly can be replaced right? Even with a 590 assembly? I just wanted to make sure, maybe that article was super old or something. cheers!

I'm not going to say it will never break, but that its highly unlikely that it would. Many of us have guns that have been around for decades in some case with the plastic trigger guard/housing. Mine is at least 15 years old for example.

I think the trigger stuff from the 590 fits the 500 but not the other way around, or at least between my two guns. But it's not likely to ever be an issue.

I'm not going to say it will never break, but that its highly unlikely that it would. Many of us have guns that have been around for decades in some case with the plastic trigger guard/housing. Mine is at least 15 years old for example.

I think the trigger stuff from the 590 fits the 500 but not the other way around, or at least between my two guns. But it's not likely to ever be an issue.

Thanks .. Yea with the way I intend to use it I doubt ill ever have that issue..

My safety button broke off of the trigger tab and mine no longer has a mechanical safety, but it still shoots. I just don't ever chamber a round until I am ready to shoot, but I'm not advocating anyone walk around knowingly with a malfunctioning weapon.

I think midwayusa sells replacement trigger packs (metal-Mossberg 590) that will simply swap out with the factory model, but as Mr. Rossignol pointed out, there are few that I have seen or heard of breaking and rendering the gun useless, and besides, even if that did happen, Mossberg will fix it, but they usually want YOU to pay for shipping, which I dont' like, but I digress.

My safety button broke off of the trigger tab and mine no longer has a mechanical safety, but it still shoots. I just don't ever chamber a round until I am ready to shoot, but I'm not advocating anyone walk around knowingly with a malfunctioning weapon.

I think midwayusa sells replacement trigger packs (metal-Mossberg 590) that will simply swap out with the factory model, but as Mr. Rossignol pointed out, there are few that I have seen or heard of breaking and rendering the gun useless, and besides, even if that did happen, Mossberg will fix it, but they usually want YOU to pay for shipping, which I dont' like, but I digress.

What is the standard warranty on Mossy's btw?

They said they'd fix it if I paid shipping both ways (about $45) for a $5 part, but I'm not going to do that.

I would be willing to do a small flat rate box with just the trigger group in it, but they said I had to send the entire gun which is stupid.

Mossberg does make a 20" vent-rib barrel (threaded for chokes) for the 500 with the shorter magazine tube. This is what we run on one of our 3-Gun pumps. Midway appears to currently have it in stock as well as a 24" ported version:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...3-full-modified-improved-chokes-vent-rib-blue

The picture doesn't show it, but ours had a mid-bead already on the barrel as well, giving you some more sighting options without visiting a gunsmith.

-William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Mossberg does make a 20" vent-rib barrel (threaded for chokes) for the 500 with the shorter magazine tube. This is what we run on one of our 3-Gun pumps. Midway appears to currently have it in stock as well as a 24" ported version:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...3-full-modified-improved-chokes-vent-rib-blue

The picture doesn't show it, but ours had a mid-bead already on the barrel as well, giving you some more sighting options without visiting a gunsmith.

-William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

I sure do love the 20" guns!

I'll add there are fiber optic bead options that also do not require a gun smith.

Back