• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Accuracy..

WCMTWS

.22LR
So I don't think it's me but my poi with my 590a1 18.5 bead sight is about 8 high and 1/1-2" to the right with Remington High Velocity sluggers. I am shooting at a slight downward angle (range is subpar...only 25yds, 50, 100 and a few gongs and what not a 2-350yds...

1. Is shooting at a downhill angle (it's maybe a 10 foot drop? maybe...I could be completely off :mrgreen:)
going to have this big of an effect on trajectory even at 25 yards?
2. I am also using Winchester Super X 2-3/4th slugs and getting similar results.
3. It's been awhile but I had better luck at 50 yards then I am at 25yds
4. This is unsupported, can I even shoot a shotgun of a bench or is that going to be a disaster? :lol:
5. Maybe I should set up a bit more, just the target stands are only so wide so I can't see exactly where the misses are going but friend did say they were a bit high.
6. Slugs are to expensive.

WCMTWS said:
So I don't think it's me but my poi with my 590a1 18.5 bead sight is about 8 high and 1/1-2" to the right with Remington High Velocity sluggers. I am shooting at a slight downward angle (range is subpar...only 25yds, 50, 100 and a few gongs and what not a 2-350yds...

1. Is shooting at a downhill angle (it's maybe a 10 foot drop? maybe...I could be completely off :mrgreen:)
going to have this big of an effect on trajectory even at 25 yards?
2. I am also using Winchester Super X 2-3/4th slugs and getting similar results.
3. It's been awhile but I had better luck at 50 yards then I am at 25yds
4. This is unsupported, can I even shoot a shotgun of a bench or is that going to be a disaster? :lol:
5. Maybe I should set up a bit more, just the target stands are only so wide so I can't see exactly where the misses are going but friend did say they were a bit high.
6. Slugs are to expensive.

The downhill shouldn't have that much effect at that range. I'd guess your subconsciously holding the bead too far above the receiver/rib. You should not be able to see the full length of the receiver. If you can, you need to adjust your hold/sight picture.

Take a close look at these pics and you'll see what I mean:

ch7_021.gif

bead_alignment.jpg

^ Great info Gunny.

I wouldn't suggest shooting from a bench unless you're into pain. When seated, all the recoil energy is transferred directly into your shoulder. Feels like you're get'n kicked by a mule every time you pull the trigger. Also, if your elbows are supporting the rifle on the bench you'll lose a good amount of skin.

Speaking of recoil, what stance do you take when shooting? Taking a more athletic stance, shoulders squared up behind the weapon, knees bent, and leaning forward into the shot will effectively turn your body into a shock absorber. Controlling recoil will help keep the muzzle down and bring your shot placement down as well. Here's a great video demonstrating what it'd take me forever to type...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]

For those longer shots where more precise aim or longer holds between shots are required, try shooting from one knee. Your off-hand elbow supporting the shotgun on your forward leg will provide the stability you need and again leaning forward into the shot will go a long way toward mitigating recoil...

I take this kneeling stance when shooting slugs at 100yd. With the 8 round tube my A1 tends to get a little heavy after a while... :D

It could quite possibly be my sight picture, I went ahead and shouldered my shotgun and I seem to like to see a portion of the barrel. I'll need to go ahead and try to just focus on the bead as shown in the images.
Lazy, thanks for the info! I'll try shooting from a knelling next time around. Just seems strange that I was landing more shots at 50 then I am at 25

WCMTWS said:
It could quite possibly be my sight picture, I went ahead and shouldered my shotgun and I seem to like to see a portion of the barrel. I'll need to go ahead and try to just focus on the bead as shown in the images.
Lazy, thanks for the info! I'll try shooting from a knelling next time around. Just seems strange that I was landing more shots at 50 then I am at 25

I catch myself doing the same thing occasionally. It's easy to do.

Good argument for putting rifle sights on a shotgun, at least for slugs. Somebody ought to design some hide away sights that can be flipped up when needed. :)

Awesome Gunny!
That's what I was doing wrong :oops:

Certainly pulled a few and need to work on getting a decent group, only shot a few but at least they are on target :lol:
Thanks again
(don't mind the other holes...still trying to get the matech sighted in)

9868380653_621144026f_z.jpg

WCMTWS said:
Awesome Gunny!
That's what I was doing wrong :oops:

Certainly pulled a few and need to work on getting a decent group, only shot a few but at least they are on target :lol:
Thanks again
(don't mind the other holes...still trying to get the matech sighted in)

9868380653_621144026f_z.jpg

Glad I could help. :) The bad guys don't stand a chance now. :mrgreen:

Gunny, you are a tremendous resource of knowledge for which I thank you.

WCMTWS, I think you've got it dialed in pretty well now. Congrats, man!

nitesite said:
Gunny, you are a tremendous resource of knowledge for which I thank you.

Thanks, but let's not go overboard with the compliments. :) There are many others here who have a great deal of valuable info that they share frequently, and from whom I have benefited also. :)

Okay, Okay....

Leaving your own modesty aside (and recognizing that SEVERAL... "Hell, LOTS of" other members on this forum really help out with troubleshooting situations)...

You still did a terrific job on this one.

Rendering Hand Salute.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'm with nitesite.

You're a valued resource Gunny, and any compliments are well deserved...

Thank you. I do appreciate compliments, and the opportunity to occasionally help someone out. Can't always do that.

Ya' know the best compliment I ever received was from someone I used to work with. He said: "You don't blink, do you?"

I suppose he was right. I've never backed down from a challenge, whether it's a person or a task. Don't always win, but that goes with the territory. ;)

Newbie from New Mexico here, thanks for the info and the video. Fired my new-to-me 500 for the first time yesterday and experienced that kicking recoil. I'll try your method next time.

You're welcome.

This shooting style will help a lot with recoil. Let us know how it works for you...

Back