• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

action tube nut loose, long spring in short tube?

1. After installing a Hogue forend and putting the action nut back on, I've tightened is as much as I am conformable doing but there is still a bit of give - 1-3mm - on the forend. In other word,s the forend nut is not tight enough to keep the forend from shifting a little along the action tube. Is this a problem, or should I try to tighten it more?

2. Can I use the (long) spring that was in my extended magazine tube with a short magazine tube?

Thanks for your help.

johncard said:
1. After installing a Hogue forend and putting the action nut back on, I've tightened is as much as I am conformable doing but there is still a bit of give - 1-3mm - on the forend. In other word,s the forend nut is not tight enough to keep the forend from shifting a little along the action tube. Is this a problem, or should I try to tighten it more?

2. Can I use the (long) spring that was in my extended magazine tube with a short magazine tube?

Thanks for your help.

1. If you can tighten it without breaking anything I would do it.

2. Short answer is Yes. But you may have too much tension and more than one round may slip out during cycling. You also will lose some capacity as the extra spring will need to take up more space in the tube when compressed.

Mike - thanks for the info. A follow up regarding the spring:

I ordered a spring from Midway (not the extended mag spring). What arrived was a few cm longer than the spring already in my gun. What is an ideal spring length, and how would you recommend I buy or modify one?

I couldn't quote you an ideal length.

Best to just try it and see how it works. if the tension is too much you can try cutting it about an inch at a time and retest it. You want to make sure the last round will feed. If you cut it too short it may not feed cleanly so work it down in small increments.

If you bought the std. length spring I doubt you will have too much of an issue with it.

Back