• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Aftermarket Non-Binding Followers For 930.

reeseman67

.270 WIN
Hey guys, have a new 930 SPX and I'm installing a Nordic +2 (flush-ish to the barrel) extension w/XL cap on my SPX, and am curious about the different non binding followers out there, if you have info like length, material, PERFORMANCE,(?) PICS,(?) and mag capacity 'deformation'/loss(?) in PERTICULARLY w/the SPX, or 7-shot tubes! I appreciate ANYONES input, thanks :D !
Stephen

I sent you a couple of PMs on this.
In short, you're going to lose a round with a non-binding follower that has a tail usually. You can use a shorter spring sometimes, or you can jockey the extension body enough to regain the lost round with a longer mag tube cap. The particular round you use can impact that as well because different rounds have different unfired lengths.

i work at a machine shop and i'm tossing around the idea of getting our cnc guy to turn me a custom follewer on the lathe. i'd most likely try to retain the dimensions of the stock follower. my only goals would be to use a material that causes less friction and something to be a visual aid. we do have some nylon laying around somewhere, but it's a dark grey color. so i'm not chomping at the bit to use that. also i've been looking at durometer charts online and would rather use a bit harder a material. i'm thinking phenolic is too hard, but could be just what i want. alas, we don't stock that in our plant.

we do have other materials at our disposal, but i think companies use nylon for a reason. so i'll probably abandon my plan and just leave the stock follower in there for now. time will tell.

Thanks very much guys! I'm gonna (for now at least, 1300 Defender still pulling 'front line duty' till I get SPX broken in and set up w/rail for light, sling, and then forward hand stop) either stick w/standard 'cup' follower(should it bind during first 100-200, and with ANY consistency after that, I will GLADLY go to 6+1..w/6+1+1 as an option! LOVE 'GHOSTIN") and also coat follower and mag tube, and 'slider assembly', maybe BCG too (??) with 'ultra gun shield', works GREAT and I think its permanent if you can 'bake it on', gonna call and get some today(and more BORE COAT, should help w/residue ESPECIALLY in a semi SHOTGUN). BUT, Im thinking of having it threaded for a choke and getting a set of extended chokes to get mag tube and barrel as even as possible then simply going with an +3 extension from Nordic with a non binding follower (also toying with having a longer barrel taken down to "20, choked, and runnin' that for 3-gun w/3shot wXL)) if not +2 w/XL cap? It should be fun 'customizing' this bad boy though! Any good non bind followers of shorter dimensions? Thanks.
Stephen

Back