• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: My first AK!!!

That's a fantastic looking AK. I love the red furniture.

And the new front sight.

The front sight is similar to what came on my Stg 2000. You could probably apply some birchwood casey blue paste around the exposed metal on the barrel.

Let us know how the red dot works out for you. Congrats on the AK.

Man that is a beauty! I never thought I would have liked red furniture but the more I see it the more I want it.

That's a great looking AK Ripp!!. I've been told by some local AK pros that the Ultimak is the way to go as long as your optics can handle the heat. I'm curiois to know how the trs-25 holds up in this configuration. I have the TRS-25 on an AR and I like it.

MikeD said:
That's a great looking AK Ripp!!. I've been told by some local AK pros that the Ultimak is the way to go as long as your optics can handle the heat. I'm curiois to know how the trs-25 holds up in this configuration. I have the TRS-25 on an AR and I like it.
The reason why I went with the TRS 25 few of the reviewers had success with them on the Ultimak. Plus I figured it better to melt a $89 dollar optic than to melt a $600 dollar aimpoint...

RippSpeed said:
MikeD said:
The reason why I went with the TRS 25 few of the reviewers had success with them on the Ultimak. Plus I figured it better to melt a $89 dollar optic than to melt a $600 dollar aimpoint...

There are some local guys here that do ACTS with ultimak mounted aimpoints and they swear by them. I've not personally bought want, though it os on my wish list.

MikeD said:
RippSpeed said:
MikeD said:

There are some local guys here that do ACTS with ultimak mounted aimpoints and they swear by them. I've not personally bought want, though it os on my wish list.
whats an ACTS ??? Not into AR jargon

went to zero the irons at 25yrds today ... so I need to re-zero @ a 100yrds to verify

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEhLQNH2t0I[/youtube]

Looks like the hider did pretty good at the flash.

x39 ammo isn't exactly known to be loaded exactly the same every time where powder levels is concerned. I would guess that some are just loaded a little hotter than others.

And just to be honest, the original M43 ammo (7.62x39) was really designed for powder burn rates for 20 inch barrels in the original rusky SKS-45 rifles.

John A. said:
Looks like the hider did pretty good at the flash.

x39 ammo isn't exactly known to be loaded exactly the same every time where powder levels is concerned. I would guess that some are just loaded a little hotter than others.

And just to be honest, the original M43 ammo (7.62x39) was really designed for powder burn rates for 20 inch barrels in the original rusky SKS-45 rifles.
the thing is here in California ... for you to be able to have your detachable magazine... my rifle has to be featureless, meaning no pistol grip or flash hider... And people on the California boards are saying that the AKBC from Battle Comp is a flash hider/ flash suppressor ... Which is its not and its really a great compensator...

I made the vid @ 11am in the morning .. And it flashed that much pretty much says its not a flash suppressor/ hider

RippSpeed said:
the thing is here in California ... for you to be able to have your detachable magazine... my rifle has to be featureless, meaning no pistol grip or flash hider... And people on the California boards are saying that the AKBC from Battle Comp is a flash hider/ flash suppressor ... Which is its not and its really a great compensator...

I made the vid @ 11am in the morning .. And it flashed that much pretty much says its not a flash suppressor/ hider

I'm not really up on CA laws, but even milspec A1 and A2 flash hiders occasionally show a flash just as yours did. But if that helps you sleep better at night.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dd6Q_XUHms[/youtube]

As for the detachable mag and pistol grip, I'm not sure how you're going to justify them either if they're prohibited.

John A. said:
RippSpeed said:

I'm not really up on CA laws, but even milspec A1 and A2 flash hiders occasionally show a flash just as yours did. But if that helps you sleep better at night.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dd6Q_XUHms[/youtube]

As for the detachable mag and pistol grip, I'm not sure how you're going to justify them either if they're prohibited.
In California no where in the law does it state that you cannot OWN 30rd magazines it just states you cannot buy 30rd magazines. A pistol grip is covered by the solar tactical paddle ...

For the flash hider vs compensator... I think you need to read up on actual law and definition of it... This text is what is written description here in California law...

Flash Suppressor/ Flash Hideris a device attached to or integral with the muzzle of a firearm, designed to eliminate or reduce the incandescent flash of the firearm's discharge. Although they can reduce the visibility of the firearm's location when fired, they are primarily designed to prevent the shooter's vision from being blinded by the flash at night. Many flash hiders also act as a muzzle brake.

Characteristics of a flash suppressor:The majority of these devices come in two styles. The multi prong and the birdcage flash suppressor. The inner cavity of the muzzle device is usually several times the diameter of the bore. The muzzle device usually has large slots to allow the propelling gasses to blow through: redirecting, reducing, eliminating the muzzle flash from the shooters field of vision.

Muzzle Brake Muzzle Brake/Muzzle Compensator is a device attached to or integral with the muzzle of a firearm, designed to redirect the propelling gasses to counter the firearm's: recoil, muzzle rise.

Characteristics of muzzle brake:The major difference between a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake is the size of the inner cavity. The inner cavity of a muzzle brake is usually just slightly larger than the diameter of the bore. This better traps the propelling gasses behind the bullet. This forces/redirects more of the gasses to escape through small ports/slots in the muzzle device. These ports/slots are usually machined/drilled in strategic locations or angled to divert the gasses to reduce the firearm's: recoil, muzzle rise

We Gun owners here California have to be well versed in the law... Its a simpl way of life if you collect guns here... I myself usually have to read up and research it before making any modifications to any of my guns...

Yeah, I've seen several definitions of what makes a muzzle attachment a flash hider and what makes it a compensator/brake where function is concerned. But in reality, there is often very little difference between the two except from a few words written on a piece of paper.

My point being earlier, that even milspec flash hiders do randomly burp out some fire so you probably shouldn't think that just because yours flashed sometimes that it couldn't be considered a flash hider, because in all honesty, it was doing a really good job at it. Especially taking into consideration your shortened barrel length.

I now see that the kydex thing that wraps around your grip is not supposed to be a part of your shooting vise, although it wasn't shown in the photo of it on your kitchen table.

John A. said:
Yeah, I've seen several definitions of what makes a muzzle attachment a flash hider and what makes it a compensator/brake where function is concerned. But in reality, there is often very little difference between the two except from a few words written on a piece of paper.

My point being earlier, that even milspec flash hiders do randomly burp out some fire so you probably shouldn't think that just because yours flashed sometimes that it couldn't be considered a flash hider, because in all honesty, it was doing a really good job at it. Especially taking into consideration your shortened barrel length.

I now see that the kydex thing that wraps around your grip is not supposed to be a part of your shooting vise, although it wasn't shown in the photo of it on your kitchen table.
Thats not my kitchen table was from the orignal owner...

There are some vids out there with the akbc being shot at ni g ht and it flash like crazy...

Bushnell TRS 25 came in the mail yesterday...

9024015247_8db0005f7b_b.jpg

9024015155_731729777f_b.jpg

Very nice man! Can I ask you who did the work? I have a NJ compliant arsenal rifle I would like to do this to. It comes shipped to NJ with a cap on the end of the muzzle that looks welded on...Thanks for any help you can provide.

MrMirz said:
Very nice man! Can I ask you who did the work? I have a NJ compliant arsenal rifle I would like to do this to. It comes shipped to NJ with a cap on the end of the muzzle that looks welded on...Thanks for any help you can provide.
His a local guy here in California problem is he doesnt have an FFL and cannot recieve any firearms. So I had to go to his house and wait for him to do the work. Took him 1hr 30mintues to do cut down, de-pin gas block, crown, thread the barrel, install my bolton gas block and pin my compensator...

While I admire wood, and it has it's place, on military style firearms I think synthetics are better. I sure wouldn't be dismayed if someone handed me a M1A1 with a wooded stock, the black M16A2s we shot worked well too. I get bummed when the wood gets gouged, chipped, or scratched. No worries with syn black. Some updated pics.

Attachments

• DSC00587.JPG
    DSC00587.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC00596.JPG
    DSC00596.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC00597.JPG
    DSC00597.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 326
Status
Not open for further replies.