• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

All I can say is, WOW!

BowtieBill

.270 WIN
Well, my wife and I went to the range today.
Remember, this is our first time shooting(not counting pellet guns as a kid).
First we were enrolled in a pistol class. My wife had our Glock 19, I rented one.
Instructor was great, went over all the essentials.
Then to the range. I did pretty well. Actually started out good, then started anticipating the recoil, causing me to drop the shot. Need to work on that.
My poor wife did not fair as well. The slide caught her thumb after the second shot, tore it up pretty bad. She was a trooper though, continued after they wrapped it up. She actually did very well, hitting her target consistently.
After the pistol class, I had a one on one training with my 590A1. After the classroom, on to the range. Well, lets just say, I shot the CRAP out of those targets. I started with the Federal 7.5 target rounds (bought from Walmart). The instructor had me shoot both close range and far to see the difference in the pattern. He then had me practice on quick reloads, single shot, reloading directly into the chamber, as if in a home defense situation. He stood behind me giving me quick commands, trying to get me use to differnt situations.
Then, I pulled out the LE132 rounds I bought through Kyle's Gun Shop. I told the instuctor about these in the class, he was not familiar with them. I only shot 5 rounds, first close range then at, I believe, 75 feet. Man, those are impressive. Even the instructor was impressed with how tight a pattern they kept. I will definetly keep buying these or the PD132 to stock up on HD.
I was so impressed on how well the 590A1 worked. Though I do not have any experience with others to compare it to, I can say that it was easy to shoot (eaisier then I expected), did what I wanted, and was comfortable. I had added a Limbsaver Precision fit recoil pad prior to ever shooting it, so I can not compare, but my shoulder never got sore, even after 30 rounds. All I can say is that I am hooked, and I will be heading back to the range as soon as I can.
Thanks to all fo the info and support. I am not going away anytime soon.
Bill

Great report Bowtie Bill! I'm glad it went well for you the first time out. Shooting the 590 is addicting! Be glad you added the Limbsaver. I started without it and was a little sore the next day. I'm sold on them now.

Too bad someone didn't teach her to hold the gun right .. both thumbs along the slide which helps to reduce felt recoil and muzzle tipping, never one back behind.

I was in your shoes not all that long ago. Get sound training.

I'm glad you had a positive experience. I couldn't tell from your post if your wife did, but I hope she thought it is worth returning and doing it again.

You two are doing the right thing by wanting to learn and getting some rounds downrange!

Congrats on the new experience!

Sorry about your wife's thumb, I hope she heels up quickly and is ready to get back out there. Keep us posted when you're able to get back out there...

I do not blame our instructor for her injury. Though he did not emphasize the need to keep your thumb away from the slide, he did go over the proper grip with us quite a bit. I was concerned with it (saw an episode of CSI where this happened), since I have large hands.
She did not enjoy it has much as I did, she has always been startled by loud noises. But she says she will go back with me. She understands the need to get comfortable with it. She says she feels a lot better handling the Glock now after our class.
Maybe next time we will hit a local outdoor range.
Can't go back next weekend (have a BBQ comp to attend), but hope to the following weekend.
I AM ADDICTED!

Just a thought Bowtie Bill, I start people out with .22 LR since it isn't so loud or kick for them.

Good luck!

Good point Mike,

A .22lr training pistol is a great way to familiarize new shooters with fundamentals and mechanics. The minimal recoil and relatively quiet report can significantly reduce the intimidation factor. My wife started out on a Walther P22, but the first time she fired my G19 she was hooked...

Great suggestions guys.
I mentioned to her that maybe another gun would be something that we could look at, but I wasn't thinking about the noise or recoil as much as ease of use. I think the suurounding noise was starling her as well.
Maybe going to an outdoor range might help?

BowtieBill said:
I think the suurounding noise was starling her as well.

You could also try doubling up on ear protection. A set of ear plugs, and ear muffs. I had my wife do that, and she liked it better than just muffs.
That should block out more of the sound. However you might need to yell a little louder to her. ;)

That would help over an indoor range but if you have someone shooting a larger caliber hunting rifle it will still be very loud, especially if your shooting from under a roof.

You could also try doubling up on ear protection. A set of ear plugs, and ear muffs. I had my wife do that, and she liked it better than just muffs.
Great point Ripjack13. I had my boy double up when he shoots 5.56 ammo.

However you might need to yell a little louder to her.
So...I can yell at my wife and not get in trouble?
Me yelling: "It's ready. Take the safety off and shoot at the new target. Oh yeah, you need to step up the housework and stop getting turkey burger." :lol:

Nice work man! Congratulations to you both, and I feeel y'all are doin the right thing and the commendable thing goin for some trainin and practice to familiarize yourselves and become proficient with your firearms!

I think we have all experienced slide bite, my daughter did for the first time last fall I think it was with our 1911 .45 auto. She wasn't at all happy about it but like your wife, she went back to it for more! ;)

A thought about the noise; maybe some noise cancellation headphones? They can sometimes be found reasonably priced, like from amazon.

Well done my friend, thanks for a great post!

Back