• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

All purpose gun

As long as it's not as long as waiting on the mailman to bring a tax stamp ;)

It's been over a month since it was sent off.

I have spoken with Remington a few times since.

The first time was to authorize the work after the estimate.

After seeing the estimate (nearly $500 in total) I opted to not get the 44 magnum barrel. Mostly due to the fact that realistically there isn't much a 44 magnum can't do that a 12 gauge slug can't do as well.

The second time I called was about 2 weeks ago to check what's taking so long to headspace 3 barrels (that's only about a 7 minute task) and they said they had been waiting on payment from me, so I paid for it at that time.

Now, I called this morning to check to see what's going on with it since it's been more than a month since it was sent and they said it had been on hold waiting payment, and I told her that I paid for it already. I was put on hold and after about 7 or 8 minutes she came back on the line and said that she'd email them and have it shipped out today and she didn't know why it hadn't already been returned. She verified my email for tracking purposes when it does go out.

So, we'll see how this works now.

While they may be good gun builders, there right hand sure doesn't know what their left hand is doing.

On a bright note, I have a guy lined up do cut crown and thread the 38/357 barrel for me when it does get here. I think that's what excites me the most about this gun.

And no tracking number email this evening.

Anyone want to take bets that it didn't ship out today as promised either?

Gun still hasn't shipped.

34 minutes waiting for someone to pick up, 4 minutes on hold checking to see if it had shipped, 1 minute to leave Mr Salyers (sp?)--supervisor a voicemail. 1 hour later he calls me and says there was a error on their side that he has corrected and it SHOULD ship back to me this coming Friday.

Let's see how that goes.

The parts and return shipping charges cleared the bank last Friday.

Yeah I am.

I actually thought it was the law that you couldn't be billed until it's ready to ship. Apparently that's not the case.

But at any rate, as long as I get it back by mid next week I'll just be glad to have it.

I spoke to Jim @ jpgrips and he said to expect up to a month turnaround time to thread the barrel since it's a tapered barrel because he usually does several at a time to save time setting up the lathe for that kind of barrel. So it may still be a while before it'll be "done" but I'll be able to pattern the 20 and 12 gauge barrels in the meantime, so all is not lost.

I guess sometimes you just have to go over heads, but the gun shipped out Friday as promised.

I got the tracking email late yesterday and the rifle is already sitting at my local hub/distribution center about 3 miles from me. Unfortunately though, they don't deliver on Saturdays so it'll be Monday before I get it, but at least I know it's here.

It's here. I also didn't know the 357/38 barrel was a bull barrel either. Good looking barrel for sure.

The scattergun barrels certainly do not have the sheen as the old blue barrels. These new barrels are really dull and decidedly matte appearance. Not that that is a terrible thing, but is certainly noticeable.

Also, I'm not sure what was up with that 20 gauge barrel. It's like it started out as a 26 inch barrel and someone threaded the front sight wrong and perhaps it was chopped and redone, but it's the first barrel that I have ever seen that was 25 1/2 inches straight from the factory.

Anyway, the 357 barrel will be sent off tomorrow for a cut and thread, but everything is here now.

kitchen process 020.JPG

barrels 001.JPG

barrels 002.JPG

I just can't wait to get the barrel back from threading. That's something that has been on my long list for quite some time now.

I'm allowed to use suppressors while hunting and the 357 is a sure deer 'gitter in my neck of the woods. I should be able to dial the scope in at 75 yards and not much is going to get past it.

Factory 357 loads are a touch over supersonic so there will be some crack, but the 38 special is subsonic, so depending on which casing I use to push the bullet through the barrel, will be the major determining factor.

Though I suspect anywhere between the lower 120's and lower to mid 130's all depending on whether I use the 38 or 357 casing.

Neither should be unpleasant to shoot.

Even with the 120 gr Hornady 6.8 spc at upwards of 2500 fps was very comfortable suppressed. It's what I anchored the 4 point with the year before last.

Back