• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Allison, pistol shooting!

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
She started doin some weird stuff with the handguns. She switched to a "cup and saucer" grip, (dont know why, we've never practiced this way...) and she was aiming with her left eye again. Still put rounds on target. Thats one of the reasons we do the videos, we can look back and see where corrections can be made.

Anyhow, here's Allison firing our 1911, and our friend's Ruger P95 9mm.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIphVBlj_WU[/youtube]

Sometimes different things work for some people, looked good as a whole to me, good posture nice steady trigger pull ….good gun etiquette, a natural I’d say.

Nice shooting Allison! I see 3 gun competitions in her future...

Well Daddy, she looks like she had a good time !!

...and some right-handed people are left eye dominant, so if she hits her target...shouldn't be a problem.

But do tell her about the cup/saucer thing...it looks unstable and could actually hurt her if left unchecked.

Thanks fellas, and we're hopin on the 3Gun thing!

I dont mind her changing to her left eye, but its a little strange if shes shooting shotguns. The grip, I dunno, I too think shes a little less stable like this. She practices "dry runs" and reloads with other grip, the ergonomics are better with the slide release.

Oli, I think shes a natural too. It really doesnt matter how she shoots or what she shoots, she's almost always on target, almost always... :lol:

She's on the target and steady with the gun. The cup/ saucer thing may be because the grip on the gun is long for her hand. A smaller gun may produce a natural cupped grip. Nice shooting!

Thanks Lady, I'll pass along the compliment!

As for the size of the grip, it seems the single stack 1911 fits better than other smaller caliber guns, like the double stack P95 in the video... when she grips it the way she most commonly practices.

I have a question yall may be able to help with while I have you. She really is amost always on target, but often times what happens, is she places her first shot, then misses with consecutive shots. Any ideas? I'm afraid I dont do enough pistol shooting myself to know how to diagnose the issue. The best I can come up with, is she isnt anticipating the recoil and flinching on the first shot, but doing so afterwards...

^ That combined with the idea that folks tend to concentrate more and take more time lining up the first shot. After that, it can become more of a point and shoot scenario. It can be as simple as taking more time to reset and relax between shots. Try to get her focused on her breathing. Take time between shots to fire on the natural pauses at the top and bottom of each breath when the body is most still. This will slow down both body and mind and the added concentration may help eliminate the shot anticipation as well by giving her something else to think about.

Ahh....she's young. Too much trying to imitate what goes on on TV. I agree with Sniper.
Thinking along the lines of "fun" rather than serious business of competition. She is probably not thinking along the line of duplicating the sight picture after the first shot. I do that also sometimes when I lose concentration. Try limiting to 3 shots at a time and checking target. Safety is the primary lesson this young- and I think she has that. No fear of the recoil- she has that also. She is well on her way to become a good shooter. Keep it enjoyable and don't worry about bullseye's. Enjoy your time together.
Before you know it - she will ask you for the car...........then you can worry Dad!

Hey folks! I've been wanting to get to this but wanted the time to really look at it.

Lots of good points, and she and I will be go over this stuff!

Sneaky, I havent printed any of those out, but have compared her targets to those and she often shoots a little low and right after the first shot. I forget what that means it could be! :lol:

Lazy, I think youre right, and I have encouraged her to reset after each shot, but man she likes to get on the trigger and empty my mags! But I'll mention it again and keep in mind that combined with breathing...

And Lady!!! Youre right, she does keep safety in mind and def doesnt mind the recoil! Also, she is very competitive, but I know she would like just to keep it low key and fun, BUT!!! Fun for her is fast on the trigger! I think I'll do like you say and only load 3 rounds! Good idea, so I'll shift the emphasis to resetting the sight picture between shots and fewer rounds in the mag at a time!

Thanks again all!!!

Either to much trigger finger or tightening the grip just befor the shot breaks. Either way its jusf getting her to relax and embrace the recoil vs anticipating it and trying to compensate.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Either way its jusf getting her to relax and embrace the recoil vs anticipating it and trying to compensate.

Yep, I agree! She and I shoot very similarly, I do the same thing sometimes and anticipate the recoil for sure!

Good lookin out!

I do the same after a few mags. I think it's just a subconcious thing every shooter has to learn to deal with in their own way. Just tell her to imagine a ice cave full of penguines playing. Unless she has a fear of penguines... :lol:

No, no fear of penguins... but she would look at me like I have 2 heads then roll her eyes at me! :lol:

... when you say things like this it makes me worry even more that the bun in the oven (so to speak) is a girl. 4 more weeks and we find out I guess... sounds like you got a good one there though. You won't even have to worry about cleaning the shotgun as her prom date shows up ... she'll be putting the finishing touches on her own ar build. I think that'd scare me more as a randy little 17 yr old punk. :lol:

Rossignol said:
...but man she likes to get on the trigger and empty my mags!

I can't say that I blame her. I'm notorious for load'n em up and let'n em fly every once in a while. It's a great feeling!

Back