• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammo for getting started

kebu

.22LR
Hey all,

Just got my 500 cruiser and want to start off with 12g shot that won't beat me up too bad, but isn't too low quality either. I really know nothing about manufacturers reputation when it comes to ammo... or ammo, really...

Right now I only have a pistol grip, but want to get a tactical stock before I really start shooting becx I hear you can wrench your wrist up pretty easily if you are new to shooting.

Thoughts or questions?

Thanks

I dont have a ton of experience with a PG only shotgun, but I've done it. Dan has been testing lots a PG's and can tell you more as well as a handful of others.

I would think some of the lower velocity birdshot and target loads. Go to WalMart (best deals on ammo available from a retailer) and get the 20 to $25 brick of shells. Its gonna be either Winchester, Remington, or Federal. Likely #8 shot which is a small small pellet, and somewhere around 1300 FPS. There are 100 rounds in the brick, so that should get you broke in! ;)

Brace your PG hand against your hip when firing. Don't try to hold it out from your body-- or it will break your wrist! Once you are aware of the recoil force you might try something different.

Cool - thanks for the heads up lady... I'm a writer so I CANNOT take any unnecessary chances with the paws or I won't be able to buy ammo! I see there is quite a bit of stuff going on in the stock options topic, so I will check it out right away.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0DtiCi5pc[/youtube]
Above is a video shooting a pistol grip shotgun with "birdshot" (Federal brand from walmart) and some "slugs". Keep in mind that this pistol grip in the video has a recoil reduction system. I would definitely start with some birdshot and go from there.

Finally shot it with the factory pistol grip the other day at the range - they wouldn't let me fire from the hip, so raised it to shoulder height and fired off about a dozen 00 buck (no bird shot permitted becx of the rubber backstop at the indoor range). It honestly was not as ruthless as some of the rumors implied. My hand was a bit sore fore for a few minutes afterward, but that was it. I feel much more comfortable now. Also shot my buddy's 870 with the blackhawk tactical stock and a snub nosed S&W five shot .357 revolver... then we ate some steaks and sweet talked the waitresses at Texas Roadhouse... it was a good day!

Glad to hear the recoil was enjoyable. When your ready for home defense ammo. There is alot to try, the top brands i believe are federal 00 buckshot with control wad. Very accurate from different distances.

EAINC said:
Glad to hear the recoil was enjoyable. When your ready for home defense ammo. There is alot to try, the top brands i believe are federal 00 buckshot with control wad. Very accurate from different distances.

True that! The Federal (LE132) or (PD132) is the tightest patterning 00 buck I have witnessed yet, and available as a low recoil load!!!

Back