• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ammunition loading

Dave

Copper BB
410 shotrgun fires great the first round. Second round falls to the deck. Third round fires fine. ?????

Welcome to MossbergOwners.com Dave! As for your shell issue, are you sure you're pushing the second round in all the way? Not to insult your intelligence, but this does happen some times. If that's not the issue, I would recommend breaking own the gun and making sure the elevator is installed correctly and not bent. Get back to us and let us know what you find out.

Dave said:
410 shotrgun fires great the first round. Second round falls to the deck. Third round fires fine. ?????

Welcome to the Forum, Dave.

Your first post is awfully vague and doesn't give us any real information with which to try and analyze for a solution. I think that with some more details your odds of a suggested fix will go up.

Two rounds in the magazine, one round in the chamber. Weapon fires first round. Loads second round and it falls on the ground. Load third round, fires just fine. Why does the second round always fall out and not the rest of them? I don't know what other info I can give. Thanks!

The only thing I could think of without looking at the gun is the mag tube plug is longer than it should be and isn't letting the second round seat all the way into the tube. Try pulling the plug and seeing if you have the same issue.

When you fire the first round the recoil is jarring the cartridge interrupter enough that it is letting the second round go. By the time the third round comes up the interrupter catches it . If you had more rounds it would probably drop the fourth and catch the fifth. Check the action of the cartridge stop and the cartridge interrupter while cycling dummy rounds. The problem could be with the cartridge stop as well, it might need to be slightly bent to stop the cartridge when cycling. If you watch it you should be able to see what is going on. Thats what I would try anyway

1) What make/model shotgun are you having problems with (Mossberg, Remington, Ithaca, Winchester, Browning....)
2) What ammunition are you experiencing this with, and have you tried another brand

Good advice on the possible causes.

I'm leanin towards what Oli mentioned about the cartridge stop. Could be it needs just to be taken apart, cleaned, and reinstalled. Whatever the case, its allowing the shell to go free before being cycled through the action.

That could also be due to the plug as Sneaky mentioned, or even spring length.

Try the dummy rounds as Oli suggested, see if you can jar the shell loose, check to see how its resting against the cartridge stop, and also check to see what happens during cycling.

Dont know what else to say here Dave. OH! Welcome to MO!!! :D

Nitesite: My rifle is a Mossbergt 500 310 pump and the ammunition I'm using right now is Winchester and I have tried two or three different brands as well - don't remember at the moment what they were though.

Back