• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another 80% AR lower

Let me elaborate a little. You can build more than one for personal use such as one each of a pistol, carbine, rifle, varmint, etc. (for example). But technically, you can not transfer the "gun" (lower) you made to anyone else unless it is serialized and through an FFL.

You can not also make (machine) an 80%-er for anyone as you are now a "manufacturer"... This would also apply to someone having an "80% build party" where everyone puts their lower into a jig and a CNC cuts it out after they press the button.

You're info is mostly correct I think, but maybe not exactly.

You can make all you want for personal use, but if you got tired of it or ever transferred it, you can't sell it unless you pay the FET (tax) which was 11% I think. And that's all that it boils down to I think. As always, the gov't has their hand out and wants their "fair share".

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/background.shtml

It would not have to be transferred through an FFL to my knowledge because it's a personally owned gun, just like any other gun you already have unless a state requires all transfers. Even if not, you would need to take reasonable precautions that you're not selling it to a felon or prohibited person for obvious reasons all the same.

You would have to engrave the required 1968 GCA info onto the receiver for FET purposes because that's how they check if the gun is in compliance is the serial just like the NFA branch does (name, make model, serial, etc) but there is no FFL requirement that I know of.

Keep in mind, there is probably a thin line of how many you can make and "get tired" of and the timeframe you can do it in. I don't know those answers, but since none of that pertains to my intent on making my own receiver (for me to keep), is moot.

You're info is mostly correct I think, but not exactly.

I stand corrected--or not... ;)

Why did you have to go ruining my mojo by linking to that tax page? :( I started reading a couple pages and the most I was able to gather was a 10% tax will be due. And probably dozens of forms to be filled out... :rolleyes: I will be sure to keep my 80% clean of fingerprints "just in case". Wouldn't want to rase the ire of the tax man... :cool:

Keep in mind, there is probably a thin line of how many you can make and "get tired" of and the timeframe you can do it in. I don't know those answers, but since none of that pertains to my intent on making my own receiver (for me to keep), is moot.

That's why it's written vague in all the ATF laws, to include the new EO's. FFL-03 is kinda the same deal... I can buy a crate of Mosin 91/30's ... keep one or two for my collection and sell the rest... but how often I can do this and how many I sell is never actually stated... it all boils back down to the current definition of what it means to be a dealer, i.e. whether or not the sale of said firearms is a main source of income and livelihood.

Any of you have a jig that has the fire control holes on both sides of the jig?

The jig I bought, you have to drill through on one pass from one side, and since my press and vise are 2 separate pieces, I'm not comfortable doing mine that way in case I can't get it perfectly true in relation to the bit

I really am not wanting to buy a different jig just for 6 little holes. So, if any of you have one that is willing to loan it to me, I'd pay shipping and insurance both ways.

If nobody has one, I could put a complete lower in the jig and drill through it that way, so I could find the holes from either side I guess.

Any of you have a jig that has the fire control holes on both sides of the jig?

The jig I bought, you have to drill through on one pass from one side, and since my press and vise are 2 separate pieces, I'm not comfortable doing mine that way in case I can't get it perfectly true in relation to the bit

I really am not wanting to buy a different jig just for 6 little holes. So, if any of you have one that is willing to loan it to me, I'd pay shipping and insurance both ways.

If nobody has one, I could put a complete lower in the jig and drill through it that way, so I could find the holes from either side I guess.
Let me check mine. I just got it and have not even bad a chance to open the box

@John A. I just checked and mine does have the holes on both sides. I sent you a PM.

Thanks Mike.

Most all of the big work is finished with mine now. I did the final sanding this morning and I think the pocket will be fine. It may not accept one of the drop in aftermarket trigger packs because I intentionally stayed will within the jig on the sides out of an abundance of caution, but shouldn't have any issues with any OEM setup now. Overall, I'm content with how it has turned out. I'm anxious to get it together and see how it does. And then maybe a coat of flat black and then to put a bunch of rounds through it :)

Last edited:
Good deal. You can always remove more material if you need to.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to remove it than it is to put it back LOL

Just waiting on a few little parts to come in.

A set of antiwalk pins (because I know how Murphy is and I've used them on many of my AR's in the past with no problems). The OEM pins are installed for the time being. Also waiting on a strike industries winter trigger guard.

And finally, waiting on an offset light mount because I'm really particular about my guns being equipped with a light. Even my KISS setups.

So by all intents and purposes, it's done. Or at least functional now.

80% 003.JPG

Thanks Oli.

The irons are all dialed in for 25/250 ;)

That is so cool.

My youngest son helped assemble everything on this one. Upper and lower.

The only things I had to step in with were tightening the barrel nut a little more than he could, and the little C clip that captures the ejection port door pin.

Back