• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another Mariner Question: How do you mount a bayonet lug?

Bobster

.30-06
Another Mariner Question: How do you mount a bayonet lug?

I've noticed that Mariner 590 20" don't have a bayonet lug. Is there something aftermarket that can be clamped onto the tube and barrel? Or maybe epoxied on?

And where would be a good source for an inexpensive M9 bayonet? Gun show?

Thanks, Bob...

Re: Another Mariner Question: How do you mount a bayonet lug

There are some aftermarket clamps such as the S&J Hardware version (see image below) and I personally like the lan cay m9 bayonets. They are not the cheapest but have great customer service and are a really quality piece.

file_1_3.jpg

Hey thats cool, never seen one before

Yea they are pretty neat!

DHonovich said:
There are some aftermarket clamps such as the S&J Hardware version (see image below) and I personally like the lan cay m9 bayonets. They are not the cheapest but have great customer service and are a really quality piece.

Thanks for the pic and info, Don. I followed a link to LanCay in another thread and don't know if I will be spending THAT much (a Franklin+) :shock: for a bayonet but they did look like nice units.

The S&J isn't going to work on the 20" 590 or Mariner.
The rear barrel lug (which is where the bayonet lug is positioned on the 20" 590A1 and the 590) is right where the mag tube clamp would need to be. The forward barrel band is also going to make getting the clamp on there difficult.
For a Mariner you are pretty much SOL unless you want to pick up a 590 or 20" 590A1 barrel and have it finished to match. I wouldn't epoxy a lug on there because you will end up popping it off if you ever actually end up doing anything with a bayonet. You may be able to have someone weld one on, but that is going to expensive and will need refinishing as well.
If you want a bayonet pick up a 590 or 20" A1.
And $100 for a knife is not bad, particularly for a good one. That would be the starting point. Now it could be said that the M9 is not a great knife, they are serviceable. You can find the knock-offs cheaper, but I have no question about the durability of my Phrobis (it is one of the early units, and the materials and construction were a little better than late production examples), which I'd definitely put above a LanCay and way beyond many of the others.
If you want to get a good bayonet for less, you could hunt down a used one on Ebay or in a surplus store. Just check the edge and make sure it hasn't been messed up. Bayonets end up doing wierd things in the .mil sometimes.

Thanks for pointing that out m24shooter! I completely forgot about that aspect on the 20".

Back