• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone ever go from tactical to traditional?

JayC

.270 WIN
Back around August or September I got the ATI tactical stock (not the collapsible type). I also got the shell holder that screws into it. A week or so later I got the ATI heat shield. I had a long list of things I'd like to do after looking at this site. :mrgreen: However, I've taken the stock off and went back to the original. I also took the heat shield off. I've come to the conclusion that I think I like the traditional setup the best. The ATI pistol grip feels great, but I don't like having to take the stock off to be able to strip the gun to clean it. The pistol grip also changed how I reach the safety and slide lock release. The heat shield looked great, but again, it's not the funnest thing to take on and off the barrel when cleaning. I was also surprised at how much the weight changed with it on. I'm curious, has anyone else here tried the tactical stuff, and ended up taking it off in favor of a traditional setup?

I like the tactical stuff, because it's generally very functional. However, I tend to stay away from it. Reason being, all of my firearms are potentially home defense weapons. If I ever (god forbid) have to use one of these firearms for defense, I don't want it to land me in jail, based on it's appearance to a jury. Unfortunately, I don't believe jury verdicts all are about the evidence and/or the law. Take care. Tom Worthington

I never did go tactical,,,,,always liked the traditional wood look. I do see quite a few members putting on the wood furniture. Don't forget the pics once you get her traditional. :)

handles a lot better, but you can literally shoot full power slugs all day with the Knoxx

,,,,Reloaded Lee's with a Limbsaver works too. ;)

Love the Vang comp barrel work.

What front sight is that ?

All of my Mossberg 500's have retained the traditional look and they function better for me that way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who went back/kept it traditional. :lol: I guess I just had to get the pistol grip out of my system. :mrgreen: Plus, once I put the tactical stock on with the other two barrels it looked funny to me. I just couldn't get used to the look of the tactical stock with the 28" or 24" barrels.

old mossy said:
I never did go tactical,,,,,always liked the traditional wood look. I do see quite a few members putting on the wood furniture. Don't forget the pics once you get her traditional. :)

As far as the traditional look goes now, it looks pretty much like it did when I posted a pic in the picture thread awhile back. I can post another pic, though. :mrgreen:

I took the scope off the rifled barrel, and am currently looking for a new one. I've got my eye on a Nikon ProStaff. I also took the shell holder off. I don't really like the way it feels against my cheek, or the way it moves around when I shoot. I may slap it back on for hunting purposes, but I'm not sure.

I do like the look of 500's with wood furniture. I especially like the look of the wood stock with corn cob forend. I think that may be the route I go whenever I get around to getting some wood to go with it.

That's a great looking setup, oli! I really like those barrels with the extended mag tube.

Tom396 said:
I like the tactical stuff, because it's generally very functional. However, I tend to stay away from it. Reason being, all of my firearms are potentially home defense weapons. If I ever (god forbid) have to use one of these firearms for defense, I don't want it to land me in jail, based on it's appearance to a jury. Unfortunately, I don't believe jury verdicts all are about the evidence and/or the law. Take care. Tom Worthington

It's funny you mention that. I've been thinking a lot about that off and on. I didn't really think too much about that aspect until I watched the hour long video on this site about choosing a home defense firearm.

After I got my second 500, the first 500 got a few tactical parts slapped on it.
That was very short lived.
My shotguns are all pretty much used for shooting things flying through the air. This is what they were made for. Tacticool does nothing to improve my bird and clay hunting so I am not really a fan of it.

old mossy said:

Looks like the Meprolight tritium bead... I've got one too :D

old mossy said:
I do see quite a few members putting on the wood furniture

Like this ;) ......Sorry... I love showing her off :cool:

I've come full circle on my 590 as well. I had a ergo trirail forend...gone, had an optic rail with a little red dot...gone, had a mesa tactical butstock adapter with a collapsible stock... was installed for about 37 seconds before I took it off :lol:

I can see the appeal of certain tactical accessories... and some are quite functional, others not so much. I'm really quite happy with the mixture of accessories I have and paired with the wood stock. I think the only thing that I don't need is the heat shield... but for me it's an aesthetic thing.

It doesn't matter what you throw on your shotgun or if it's bare bones.... the important thing is that it fires every time you pull the trigger, and you've practiced with your specific setup.

old mossy said:

it is a Mepro.....if it was my first one I would bad mouth them as it only glowed for a month.....and I emailed them with no response but that's ok because I didn't have the purchasing paperwork so probably would have turned into a pain in the ass.....for 25 bucks for a new one I just left it alone. Still works great and if the occasion comes up that I just cant do without a little glowing bead at the end of my barrel then I guess I am screwed but I doubt it

The more I see the wood furniture the more i'd like to ditch the plastic stuff on my 88! I was pulled in by the tactical stuff and was considering a new stock, but now that I look at it that stuff is out of my price range at the moment. So I guess my next question Is what wood stock to find that shortens the LOP so I can add a limb saver? Thanks in advance! Sorry if its kind of off topic!

oli700 said:
old mossy said:

it is a Mepro.....if it was my first one I would bad mouth them as it only glowed for a month.....and I emailed them with no response but that's ok because I didn't have the purchasing paperwork so probably would have turned into a pain in the ass.....for 25 bucks for a new one I just left it alone. Still works great and if the occasion comes up that I just cant do without a little glowing bead at the end of my barrel then I guess I am screwed but I doubt it

Thank you oli.

My first 500 was a 28" wood furniture bird gun. After I got my second, which was a cruiser model, I began to tac it up.

I took the furniture off my bird version and sold the receiver. Now I have one shotty, and it's prepped to switch between traditional (wood furniture, 28" barrel) and tactical, though it primary lives in tactical mode.

Back