• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone ever go from tactical to traditional?

I added a extended magazine tube to my HD gun which I later removed as I did not like the balance of the gun with more of the weight forward.

I'm not big on "tactical" so that was the extend of what I would call "tactical" upgrades.

I did it! Had the blackhawk spec ops expanding stock, polymer foreend, side saddle. It's not the most tactical assembly ever, but it got the mission accomplished.

Since moving to 2A friendly Hawaii (there's sarcasm there... Did you catch it?) I elected to switch to a traditional style. It's got the wooden buttstock I cut down myself, with matching forearm, side saddle, and I switched out the standard 18" barrel for one of shoten's ported barrels.

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't fired a round since I was in kansas in February! I can't find a range that doesn't require a membership that is close enough to me. There's supposedly a gun club on post but I don't have much time and they're only open for specific events.

This is gonna be a long tour.

I started out with 500 flex but had an issue with the stock , I exchanged it for the standard 500 long to short I thought about going tactical but I really like the way the wood looks image.jpg

i remember having a pistol grip on my HD shotty....i thought it was pretty cool. Then one day got to thinkin and decided to measure the longest distance(straight line view) that i might need to shoot my shotty to protect me and momma in my house.Small house on the beach,that distance was 21'. Went to my shooting area with the shotty,some potential HD loads(buckshot) and a buttstock with tools to change it out maybe. Measured my distance.set up paper target,try loads. My barrel is 18 1/2" improved cyl. Patterns ranged from 6" to about 10" depending on the load at that distance. Given the size of the patterns i found that it would be fairly easy to MISS with a pistol grip gun at that distance, particularly under stress. Added the buttstock, a proper mount and cheek the stock and it's just about impossible to miss at that distance......so my HD guns get a buttstock w/13"LOP....no pistol grip. Lots of folks have seen too many "movie shotguns".....the kind where you pull the trigger and it obliterates everything in front of you and everything in your peripheral vision, when a bad guy gets hit in the torso and flies about ten feet from the impact. Take your loads out and try em....Mike

i remember having a pistol grip on my HD shotty....i thought it was pretty cool. Then one day got to thinkin and decided to measure the longest distance(straight line view) that i might need to shoot my shotty to protect me and momma in my house.Small house on the beach,that distance was 21'. Went to my shooting area with the shotty,some potential HD loads(buckshot) and a buttstock with tools to change it out maybe. Measured my distance.set up paper target,try loads. My barrel is 18 1/2" improved cyl. Patterns ranged from 6" to about 10" depending on the load at that distance. Given the size of the patterns i found that it would be fairly easy to MISS with a pistol grip gun at that distance, particularly under stress. Added the buttstock, a proper mount and cheek the stock and it's just about impossible to miss at that distance......so my HD guns get a buttstock w/13"LOP....no pistol grip. Lots of folks have seen too many "movie shotguns".....the kind where you pull the trigger and it obliterates everything in front of you and everything in your peripheral vision, when a bad guy gets hit in the torso and flies about ten feet from the impact. Take your loads out and try em....Mike

Yep. :)

I love the sight of a blued barrel and nicely stained furniture. The only tactical weapon I have is an AR and I am looking to possibly putting wood on it if I can find it.

I bought a 18.5" barrel and put an Post-War US Issue M-1 Rifle Sling on my Model 500 and that is about as "tactical" as I plan to go. I also have an older set of stock and fore-end wood on the way, but it is the wood ribbed style. Never got into the "tactical" stuff really.
Mark

Last edited:
I bought a persuader. The price was right. Took it home. Wondered what it would look like with wood. Bought used wood parts. Black plastic is now under the workbench. Went to the skeet range. Watched. My 18.5 inch barrel was in the trunk. Heard discussions of the need for longer barrel and tighter choke. Left 18.5 in the trunk and watched.

Bought 28 inch barrel. Bought skeet choke. Went back to the range. Shot at a sheet. Missed.

But I looked like I belonged. Found a gold trigger group - used. Wood guns with 28 inch barrels need gold triggers. Bought gold trigger. Now I look like I REALLY belong. Shot at a skeet. Missed again. But some of the old-timers offered advice.

One of them said I was. Doing pretty well considering I was shooting a Mossberg 500. Real skeet guys shoot Bennellis or Berettas or double-barreled Bugattis or something.

I think I need a double barreled whatchacallit.

If I had one of those, I could convert the Mossy to a Tactical model. I'd need a Tac light and a rail to put it on. I think my 18.5 inch barrel is still in the trunk.

I'm sorry, what was the question, again?

Back