• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone ever try this?

Comarade

So I've been wondering to myself "Why doesn't Mossberg make a bayonet-ready 18-inch version of their 590 with a magazine tube that extends to the end of the barrel?"

I was looking at my 590A1 20" and there's certainly enough room between the forend in the forward position and the ring with the bayonet lug to imagine that if you could take 2" off the barrel and magazine tube and still have enough room in there for 6 or 7 rounds in the tube, plus have the bayonet lug.

The benefit over the current 20" version would be marginal, but we're talking hypotheticals here :)

I might do a little experiment in the future and get an extra barrel and magazine tube from Mossberg just to try this out. It sounds like alot of work for very little benefit but the mad scientist in me wants to see this happen.

Be very carefull in cutting that barrel. You DO NOT want to end up with an unregisterred NFA item.

Yeah I wouldn't cut it down to 18" exactly. I'd leave an extra 1/8"-1/4" of an inch there for legalities.

This is all a pipe dream at this moment anyway lol. Odds are I'll purchase several other fire arms before getting around to this, just wanted to see if anyone out there had tried it and what their experience was.

I would be interested in seeing your results if you attempt this.

Comarade said:
So I've been wondering to myself "Why doesn't Mossberg make a bayonet-ready 18-inch version of their 590 with a magazine tube that extends to the end of the barrel?"

Simply put, Mossberg doesn't have a reason to make one.

Only reason the 20" 590a1 has a bayonet mount is so that it would comply with the U.S. military mil-spec 3443 standard...

Ah yes, I am taking the time to read the Mil Standard now and it even specifies the 20" length on the barrel. That would explain why they went 20" instead of 18" :)

Back