• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone have experience with the 500 waterfowl?

Hey all, I'm looking at purchasing a 500 waterfowl with the X factor ported tube. If you have used one, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Haven't used that model, but it looks like the biggest difference in the chokes is that the X-Factor are rated for lead shot only while the Accu-Set chokes can handle lead and steel shot. One may very well offer better performance than the other, but I have no first-hand experience with either...

How can they release a "waterfowl' gun with chokes only rated for lead shot? It is a federal requirement that steel shot (or approved non-lead alternatives) be used for waterfowl.

I have the 930 waterfowl model but it did not come with the f-factor choke tubes.

It would seem odd to me that they would make it non steel. Especially when the X-factor choke shotgun is more expensive than the accu set.

I agree it's more than a little odd, but all the literature I can find says lead only with the X-Factor chokes...

Okay, I finally got around to calling Mossberg. The tech rep I spoke to explained it to me, let me see if i get this right! The accu-chokes are not extended past the barrel. That's the main difference. The X-chokes are extended out the barre for better range/patterning. He also said that their is a wider variety of chokes available with the X-chokes. And the big question "will the X-factor shoot steel?". YES it will. In fact the X-factor was designed more for waterfowl with the extended tubes. My only question that did not get answered was, will accu-chokes work in the X factor barrel. Again this is what the tech said.

Back