• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
6881931018_481af6d3d5_z.jpg
6947840007_dda484aa1b_c.jpg
Here's a little before and after pics of my "wild cat". Ming and Rossi you two can't have all the fun :) . I added the magpul furniture, a BCM charging handle, a Aim forearm, and a Bushnell rds. I will be adding a Spike's nickle boron coated bolt carrier group when my $$$ allows.

BenSamp said:
6881931018_481af6d3d5_z.jpg
6947840007_dda484aa1b_c.jpg
Here's a little before and after pics of my "wild cat". Ming and Rossi you two can't have all the fun :) . I added the magpul furniture, a BCM charging handle, a Aim forearm, and a Bushnell rds. I will be adding a Spike's nickle boron coated bolt carrier group when my $$$ allows.

SCHWEET!!!!

Great lookin rifle Sir...

Rossi, its all your fault :D , man your 590A1 made me want one, I like the FDE colors on the AR, would have had the same fore arm but Botach Tactical had the magpul on backorder so I went with a Aim instead. I ordered 4 magazines from them and used "SLICKMAG" and got a 20% discount and free shipping for under 30.00. If this is the wrong venue for this, I'm sorry and won't do it again.

Well, after all the time I've been waiting for the M&P 15 Sport, my LGS got the M&P 15 OR in. I picked it up. It really is exactly what I wanted!

UGT short rail
Bushnell TRS-25 Reddot
VTAC Sling
Universal 6" wire sling loop
11 PMAGS

photobucket-4497-1333508721629.jpg

photobucket-5543-1333500641558.jpg

Okay - finally got to the range and here's results from the noob on a learning curve with an AR15. I bore sighted at my house to get a (really) rough starting point at 50' indoors. At the range I started at 25 yds and sighted the Vortex Sparc red dot and the BUIS. I moved to 50 yds and had to make more refinements - same at 75 where I made a rookie mistake and reversed my adjustments throwing me OFF the paper. Back to 50 to understand the error then out to 75 again. 100 yds may be tough for me with the red dot - its 3 or 4 MOA (have to check) and I may need a scope - will try the screw in doubler that came with as well. BUIS for me at 54 will not work at 100 with much accuracy (AND I did not spend a lot on them - hence the term backup!). Here's 3 final target shots (55 gr Federal 223 brass at 75 yds). Won't bore you with BUIS shots - okay but not as accurate. Front does elevation, rear = windage. Took a bit.

Big target has 2 groups of 3 each - 1st 3 are still a bit left, 2 clicks and I'm closer to my zero with the next 3 - a little sloppy but WTF. I'm about out of ammo so I took my last clean SLOW shots at the 2 small bullseyes on the target. One is a group of 3 = the other is my last 4 (5?!) shots of the day. It's only 75 yards with a red dot but I went home feeling like I'd gotten somewhere and put a good cap on the end of the session.

7049298879_04a7f15e01.jpg

2 groups of 3 with adjustment

7049298035_0661644305.jpg

3 at 75 yds

7049297297_f018abbda2.jpg

Looks like 5 not 4 final shots of the day at 75 yds

7045080581_e519259791_z.jpg

New Magpul and grip on the DPMS. Had it on scale today 7lb. 10oz. with unloaded mag, no sling.

Nice job Sir!

Sighting in can be a bit frustrating, but the learning curve is all part of the fun. Glad you got a chance to heat her up a bit...

Thanks LES. I may be making crib notes for each sight I have. That silly wrong twist adjustment mistake came after an hour of careful shooting and adjustments. The outdoor range I went to is $3 an hour and run by a federal conservation agency- run by the book. No rapid fire and lots of walking on cease fires. I want to be good at 100 yds and beyond but trying to learn and max out what I have before making any more changes. Pegging the small circles to end the day was slightly reaffirming. The new front grip puts my arm/wrist in a more comfortable, natural position which is a+ in a long shooting session.

Yes Sir,

A group like that to end the day definitely makes you feel good.

Notes for your optics are invaluable. Knowing exactly where your sights are zeroed is great for when you're switching between various distances. Sights can shift is transit sometimes too, so it never hurts to know where your clicks are for a quick reset.

Once I get the dope on my adjustable power scopes, I remove the dials and reset zero to "0". That way I know where my starting point is for each range session and only need to adjust for conditions...

Went out to the indoor range today (25 yrd max) and shot my new S&W M&P 15 OR today. I put about 300 rounds through it in about two hours. I started out at 20 feet to get a feel for where it was hitting. I put all my shots in the size of a half dollar. I was amazed at the accuracy of this rifle. I slowly started moving back until I got to 25 yards. After adjusting my red dot a few times, I called it good. I started practicing shooting off hand. Except for the 590, I've not done much shooting with rifle or pistol in many, many years. So when I shot the following group I was really surprised! This appears to be a tack drive IF I do my part.

Max spread: 4.461"
Group width: 1.934"
Group height: 4.516"
Ammo: AE .223 Rem

frttstar.jpg

The S&W was the gun I really had my eye on. As I saved I watched the prices rise quite a bit and availability really became spotty. when I saw the DPMS available for $600 I jumped. Do you mind me asking where you got the M& P and what the price was??

Those are some sweet rifles fellas!!!

Our first groups were real similar and we were sighting 25 yards without benching. Once we benched the rifle we were able to make the fine adjustments and were breaking little orange clays at 80 + yards!

So much fun! :D

Nice work guys!

mingaa said:
The S&W was the gun I really had my eye on. As I saved I watched the prices rise quite a bit and availability really became spotty. when I saw the DPMS available for $600 I jumped. Do you mind me asking where you got the M& P and what the price was??
Not at all! Carolina Guns & Pawn in Fayetteville, NC for $800+tax.

@Rossignol I can't wait to do the same!

Kodiak, no doubt that rifle will be a tack drivin son of a gun! I feel the same way, we do our part and the gun will do the rest!

I just put a small bipod on mine. Its a 6" off a Kel-Tec with a picatinny mount. I moved a rail from the side of my Magpul MOE forend and put it on the bottom. Its a little short maybe, but I got it super cheap from my LGS and I'm willin to give it a go!

Heres Ally's first group at 25 yards. She was firin standin up without the aid of the M1907 sling and was shooting irons, one after the other just as soon as she reaquired the target with the sights! Not bad at all I dont think! ;)

100_6403Small.jpg

I still havent put the video together of her hitting those clays... Eventually though. Just gotta get to feelin like it.

Kodiak said:
mingaa said:
Not at all! Carolina Guns & Pawn in Fayetteville, NC for $800+tax.

@Rossignol I can't wait to do the same!

Yep - I watched the S&W creep from 6 hundred and change to the point where $800 IS a bargain price. $900 or more is now common. It's great that you have a friendly shop in the area but they don't have a national web presence.
*Google search*
Store Information:
Carolina Firearms Sports & Pawn Inc
2803 Bragg Blvd,
Fayetteville, NC 28303
That's about all that I see.
(910) 433-2200
Is that the place?? I've got a few in my area too and they do all that they can for local repeat customers - something that I try to be. Relationships are great as is buying local when you can.
Shipping and FFL would add $50 or more to the total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back