• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR 15 Pistol Ammunition

That 3031 load is a good universal load. Id venture to say its practical accurate out of any .223.

That 3031 load is a good universal load. Id venture to say its practical accurate out of any .223.
I got to agree. If I ever want to know what a bullet is like and its 52 to 64gr I load it with 3031if any data is available at all. Usually you can still find 3031 in most listings. I am going to try some 5 round groups with the 18" , these things seem to shoot well

You and Nite told me 3031 was a good go-to from the beginning, and Im a firm believer. My pet load for the bull barrel uses 3031. Id have to say if i could only pick a single powder to stock up on. That would be it.

Speaking of IMR 3031

@dieselmudder
@nitesite
@terry2425
@carbinemike

I need a data check or opinion on the 3031 data for the 53gr Harnady VMax

Hornady says IMR 3031 22.2gr-25.5gr at 2.240"

I loaded and shot at 24gr and liked what I saw

I know 24.5 with a 55gr is a compressed load

I filled a case with 25.5gr of IMR 3031 and it is literally to the rim....a sick might even protrude a bit....I didnt load it.

Do you guys find data for this bullet anywhere else because I cant ?

Do you guys think its fine with a work up because it is mile long stick powder that crushes down ok and it is I believe Hornady #8 data?

Thanks guys if this bullet can do the velocity it claims with 3031 or Win748 I might try it at the 600Y through my range for fun

24gr of 3031 shows promise of sub moa in my rifle but I need to bag the gun and run 5 rounds to see for sure

Hornady 9th shows the same data. That's the only paper i have wirth that specific load. The loading guide that came with my Lee .223 dies have data for 53 grain jacketed bullet, max 24.5 gr, at 2.200 OAL. Lyman 49 has no data for a 53 grain projo.

Hodgdon loading gives a starting load of 3031 at 21.6 grns (2907 FPS) and a maximum load of 24.6 grns compressed (3233 FPS) for a 55 grn bullet. I personally would not exceed the maximum load.

I can only get somewhat "close" to what you are looking for because it's slightly different bullets so different bearing surfaces/friction/pressures might apply. And I don't know what cases you are using. I'm assuming it's a mil-spec since you are almost pouring out the top.

The only 52~53-gr data with IMR-3031 that I have is-

*- Sierra 5th Edition 3rd Printing 2003 and it's for (of course) the HPBT Matching #1410 @ 2.250" OAL Sierra's AR-15 data MAX is 25.1 and does not show as being compressed. They say the case was Federal which might be Lake City or Commercial.

*- Lyman #49 shows the #1410 Matchking data and IMR-3031 at 25.0C @ 2.250" no specific mention of bolt vs gas gun but they used commercial Remington brass. I think the 52/53 bullets was from a 1:12 Universal Receiver because they also used an AR15 with a 1:7 so I'm guessing UR for lighter bullets, AR for heavier.

*- also, Speer #13 2006 shows their 52-gr BT-HP #1036 @ 2.200" in a bolt gun with IMI (Military) brass. Its MAX is (unbelievably) 26.0-gr as a compressed load

Oddly, over at www.6mmbr.com http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html there is not even a mention of using IMR-3031 in the many lengthly articles on that cartridge, which I found rather curious. Those guys over there sure know their stuff. But Me and oli and diesel and lots of guys sure do like that powder for mid-weight bullets in that cartridge.

Last edited:
ok, thanks guys.

Data for the 53 Vmax is a little scarce.

I'll trust Hornady and work up.....

Those BR shooters are way to anal for 3031.....they ditched that for Benchmark.......then H322....

Yeah. I can't imagine how they pulled that off. I don't get it.
Probably start he bullet in with a little hammer then put it in the press

seriously it only can be that there is so much space in between sticks of powder I would think.....crush it down to RE15 sticks or something

That has to be pushing 3500fps from their test barrel

Back