• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Armed Forces Day

old mossy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
like to thank all our brothers and sisters a Happy Armed Forces Day. thank you for your sacrifice.

Attachments

• 2013ArmedForcesDayThumb.jpg
    2013ArmedForcesDayThumb.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 735
Shame on me...been so busy I didn't even know it was coming up... :? Yes, thank you to all my fellow vets and active duty for your sacrifices!!! How do you make a smilie salute?

I'm sorry but I have a difficult time with the word "Happy" in this connection. I know you and others mean well, but I knew several men whose names are engraved on this wall. I just can't bring myself to think of Memorial Day as an occasion for happiness and cookouts. :( Sorry.

vietnam-wall-sidney-oh-sep2010.jpg

GunnyGene said:
I'm sorry but I have a difficult time with the word "Happy" in this connection. I know you and others mean well, but I knew several men whose names are engraved on this wall. I just can't bring myself to think of Memorial Day as an occasion for happiness and cookouts. :( Sorry.

vietnam-wall-sidney-oh-sep2010.jpg

Gunny i agree with you 100%,,,,but i am not referring to Memorial Day.

Armed Forces Day is a day put aside to honor the Armed Forces.
c&p

In the United States, Armed Forces Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. It falls near the end of Armed Forces Week, which begins on the second Saturday of May and ends on the third Sunday of May.

First observed on 20 May 1950, the day was created on 31 August 1949, to honor Americans serving in the five U.S. military branches – the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Air Force and U.S. Coast Guard – following the consolidation of the military services in the U.S. Department of Defense. It was intended to replace the separate Army-, Navy-, Air Force-, Marine Corps- and Coast Guard Days, but the separate days are still observed, especially within the respective services.

The first Armed Forces Day was celebrated by parades, open houses, receptions and air shows. The United States' longest running city-sponsored Armed Forces Day Parade is held in Bremerton, Washington. In 2012, Bremerton celebrated the 64th year of the Armed Forces Day Parade.

Memorial Day,,,
c&p

Memorial Day
The gravestones at Arlington National Cemetery are decorated by U.S. flags on Memorial Day weekend.
Type National
Date Last Monday in May
2012 date May 28
2013 date May 27
2014 date May 26
Observances Remembrance of American war dead

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday which occurs every year on the final Monday of May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service[3]. It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

By the early 20th century, Memorial Day was an occasion for more general expressions of memory, as people visited the graves of their deceased relatives in church cemeteries, whether they had served in the military or not. It also became a long weekend increasingly devoted to shopping, family gatherings, fireworks, trips to the beach, and national media events.

Annual Decoration Days for particular cemeteries are held on a Sunday in late spring or early summer in some rural areas of the American South, notably in the mountains. In cases involving a family graveyard where remote ancestors as well as those who were deceased more recently are buried, this may take on the character of an extended family reunion to which some people travel hundreds of miles. People gather on the designated day and put flowers on graves and renew contacts with kinfolk and others. There often is a religious service and a "dinner on the ground," the traditional term for a potluck meal in which people used to spread the dishes out on sheets or tablecloths on the grass. It is believed that this practice began before the American Civil War and thus may reflect the real origin of the "memorial day" idea.[4]

Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, living or dead.[5]

My bad. I get the 2 confused. Too close together on the calendar I guess. Or I'm just getting old. :roll:

Maybe this pic of a soldier at an American Legion parade in Los Angeles 1938 will make up for my error. :) Apparently everyone was watching a flyover.

AmerLegionParade1938.jpg

great pic Gunny.
as far as the memory goes,,,,,i'm right next to ya. good thing i have my DAV calender next to me to remind me. :)

A most sincere thank you from my family and I to all who have served and continue to serve.

Your dedication and sacrifice goes unnoticed by many, appreciated by many on days like today, but know that there are those of us out here that thank GOD for you every day and pray for your good health and safety...

"Praise to you, ever-watchful GOD,
for you are our refuge and strength
in every time and place.
Send your blessing upon those
who have served and are now
serving our Country.
Let your peace be the sentry
that stands guard over their lives
and shield them from all harm."

Happy Armed Forces Day !!

...to all the veterans and active duty soldiers around the globe protecting the freedoms we are lucky to enjoy everyday !!

The wife and I just got back from the 6th annual Walk for the Wounded in Rose Tree Park in Media, PA...an awesome yearly event whose proceeds support our nation’s Wounded Heroes and their families with personal and financial needs. Services are provided from the onset of injury, throughout their recovery period and along their journey from military life into the civilian world. Financial aid varies as each case is based on individual needs ranging from rent, utilities, vehicle payments, groceries, clothing, and travel expenses.

http://www.walkforthewounded.org/

To read more about how you can help...

http://www.operationfirstresponse.org/

Back