• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Army, Marines and Coast Guard to suspend Tuition Assistance

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013 ... 828&rank=1

I'm currently working towards my Bachelors degree and have used TA quite a bit in the last few years. When I do, I usually stay well within the $4,500 allowed during a calendar year. Now I'm left with either paying for it myself or applying for FASFA.

Don't get me wrong folks, I appreciate all the benefits I receive for my service, and many civilian counterparts have to find their own money to go to college. But when you look at the fact that most service men and women who are using Tuition Assistance barely make it over the poverty line for base pay, can't we keep some of the good programs running?

Guess my plans for a Degree will have to change a bit :?

Re: Army, Marines and Coast Guard to suspend Tuition Assista

What a bunch of BS!!! I saw this on the news last night and to say I was pissed would be an understatement. Most of you guys are taking courses to better yourselves and many are taking them to get promoted since the higher ranks require it. What's next, shutdown the academies?

I honestly believe the gov't is pushing the population to revolt with all these "take aways" while handouts keep going up. Cut the welfare programs for those that are able bodied.

That's Obama's Sequester Agenda: "Make it hurt. Piss off as many people as possible. I'll blame it on the Republicans."

Just got word from my brother, he's being hit by this.

It's all good, at least now we'll know why lesbians are overweight. ;) [/sarcasm]

,,,simple answer,,,,,,

Attachments

• obama-blame-bush.jpg
    obama-blame-bush.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 532

I'm outraged over this.

I've been keeping up with it, and this is wrong no other way of seeing it.

If you were an illegal, you can get reduced tuition in Colorado right now.

Forget reducing a veterans tuition, or an actual citizens' tuition. Can't have that.

"Some people you just can't reach, which is the way he wants it"

My aunt in Michigan has never worked a lick in her live, lives in a trailer the gov't has paid for (since they declared Bankruptcy a while back), has always fed her kids off of food stamps and now collects some othe state compensation for one of my cousins she has taken in (dispite the fact she couldn't feed her own kids)....

Tell me how its fair for her to have everything paid for, while we (those who work for a living and also happen get deployed in harms way) can't recieve 4k in college aid. Like I said, many of us don't use the whole amount... so are the service men and women just such a damn burdon that we can't afford a couple grand a year to help them with college?

I'm boiling like the rest!

Add Air Force to the list of cut TA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

,,,,i joke around alot all in fun,but this has my blood pressure up.this -uckin administration sucks big time.these bastards grant 1.5 mil to find out why lesbians are fat and are taking monies from our veterans, give me a -uckin break. i pray to God we can make it through the next 4 years. i'm sorry for the rant on this MF but i type this with my blood boiling and tears in my eyes.
sorry just an old American letting off steam.

All part of the Grand Plan to Fundamentally Transform the country. It's not a secret. It was announced and applauded 5 years ago, and it's what got Obama elected.

Charles Krauthammer and others have been warning people about this since the beginning. Maybe some people are starting to pay attention now, but there are still millions who think things like this are good and fully support the Grand Plan.

Remember Obama's statement a few years back that he wanted a Domestic Force as powerful as the military? Well, it's been happening right in front of us. The military gets hollowed out, and the Domestic Force gets a bigger budget.

Whatcha gonna do about it, huh? :x

Guess I can look at the bright side... who needs college when civil unrest and economic collapse have left the country in ruins. Better put the college money I was going to save into buying ammo (if I can find it).

On top of it all I just heard from my LT that they're thinking about putting a premium on Tricare ( the military's health insurance if you're not familiar), and all the retirees are looking at having to pay a much higher percentage than before.

Please Forgive me for my Short, Abrupt, Explosive Reply to this...

THIS IS ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!!!!! Politicians are pretty much saying... "Hey, go defend the Country, it's freedoms and the people.. so in return for risking your life... when you come back home... WE LEAVE YOU WITH NOTHING!!" Way to save your own Paycheck Obama and Gang!

feds are the last to feel the sting, first it was private industry, followed by the states then the fed....in the last five years I hit a pay freeze, one furlough day a month, position reclass and my wife lost a teaching job.....been playing this game for a while, welcome aboard

I have been following the Forest Service on this a little, they said “fires will burn unchecked because of program cuts and furloughs”……I’m here to tell you it can be done, the state of OR has been doing it for 5 years….we were told here is what we got to do and we still have to provide the people with good fire protection, figure it out or we will find someone that will.”
It is tricky but it can be done…..Leave it to the Forest Service to just throw their hands up and quit. They didn’t do much real firefighting anyway….

But like gun control I feel that the Feds are going to make this a state problem as well…..lay of the Fed worker and that worker collects state unemployment and eventually might go on state welfare……

Sorry for you tuition but a lot of Americans have been crossing this bridge for some time now…..its not the end of the world.

Itsricmo said:
so in return for risking your life... when you come back home... WE LEAVE YOU WITH NOTHING!!" Way to save your own Paycheck Obama and Gang!

why do people act like solders do what they do with no compensation ?

Oli, I always love your straight forward "Tough Shit" approach lol... Enlightens me to what the world really is every time!

This Nation we live in is certainly a crippled nation and our own Gov't is doing nothing to help... I know that Thousands of people deal with this same thing every day but to do it to our troops is flat out disgusting... leave them nothing to fall back on.. no new traits to learn... Nothing.

My advice is go into "Private Defense" lol...

This week is the first time in about 20 years of military service that I have heard my brother complain about the state of the country

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

I remember a time when you never ever talked bad about the government. I feel so bad doing it but if it walks like a duck.......we need to be honest with ourselves or we do ourselves a disservice.

In the 60's you never talked bad about the government or you were a dirty communist bastard but they spit on solders that were trying to do their job while the Whitehouse tied their hands behind their back.

Now we trash the government and hoist all solders on our shoulders like everyone is a hero and can’t do wrong...... Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate it all big time and we all like to be appreciated and thanked from time to time, I just hate hearing thing like " my son volunteered to get shot at so you can live the dream".......your son took an honorable job sir, he isn’t doing it for nothing but the dream, there are many benefits and many risks like a lot of jobs that make the world go around.
You guys know I hire a lot of kid back to the world……excellent , I love them. Something I ran into the last couple years ?......the entitled veteran. Expecting the praises and expecting the special treatment. Maybe they deserve it but it never feels right when you deal with an entitled person.

I think the issue with the entitled service man is the disillusionment experienced while in the military and when they get out. So they cling onto what they feel they are and often times are owed.

I can't believe we have suspended tuition assistance but send billions overseas in foreign aid.

Oli, I definitely agree there are many more "entitled servicemen", and I think we've discussed some of the origins in another thread here. Please don't get me wrong, I don't in any way feel that this nation owes me more than I already receive. I've got a roof over my head, my family is fed and dressed, we have working transportation in our driveway... and I even have some money to stock up on guns :D As said before, I CHOSE to join the service... no one put a gun to my head or threatened my family as I signed my name and took that oath. I've said it before and I'll say it again (and you may tell the next "entitled servicemen" this when you see him/her) it is a PRIVILEGE to serve in for this countries armed forces, not a RIGHT.

What bothers me is when I see packing receipts for $12,000 worth of new office furniture ordered by command cadre, when the old stuff was only a few years old. And that's happening right here in my back yard...who knows how many millions are thrown out the window or into contractors pockets that could be reallocated to things like TA.

Just like the state of OR is asking you guys to fight more fires with less people and less equipment, the Coast Guard is still operating cutters that were originally commissioned in the 1940's, while congress grants the navy a few more nuclear submarines. There's a fundamental problem with the priorities of Gov't, and I really don't see a solution.

aksavanaman said:
What bothers me is when I see packing receipts for $12,000 worth of new office furniture ordered by command cadre, when the old stuff was only a few years old. And that's happening right here in my back yard...who knows how many millions are thrown out the window or into contractors pockets that could be reallocated to things like TA.
or 30,000 dollar 1930 Ford model A wildland fire engine that was built to look like a 30's era truck we have a picture of, used for parades......while I was told by the very same guy that I had to cut my annual order by 15000 bucks.......so that’s hose, tools, nozzles and all kinds of equipment I couldnt buy for that summers fire fight :x

Back