• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATR 30.06.bipod...

Ok I've looking for a bipod for my ATR 30.06 and I've seen a few out there, but I'm wondering if anyone is currently using the Blackhawk Sportster Pivoting Bipod and if so how is it working out?

I haven't used the one from Blackhawk, but they're virtually identical to the Caldwell XLA Pivot models. I've got three or four of those and their form and function are great. They've held up to any and all abuse I've put them through over the years...

I've seen a video on YouTube that got me thinking about the thrust the 30.06 has. In the video this guy shoots his 300 and the bipod falls off. Note the video doesn't have any description as how and or why this happened. The sling pivot on the ATR looks a weak to me and I was wondering if it could handle a device like that.

Haven't seen the video, but I'm sure there are folks that could break a bowling ball.

The sling swivel is really only used to secure the bipod's base to the stock. Once it's tightened down, all of the weight and pressure is distributed to the entire bipod and not just the sling swivel. My bench rifles weigh in the 10-11 lb range and the Caldwel bipods have held up well underneath them. Don't have a .30-06, but the .308 still transfers a good amount of energy to the bipod...

My molded in swivel mount broke on both my ATR and 4x4. I just use a little metal cutoff wheel and remove what's left of it. Then drill a hole of correct size just forward of the old swivel mount divot to thread in a normal steel swivel stud. Then on the top side of it (barrel/action removed from the stock) I put JB Weld around the stud threads to give it more strength. One of my bipods is the blackhawk swivel ones. It works fine. It's not as sturdy feeling as a Harris, but I don't load the legs heavy anyway. It's had some use and hasn't broken yet. I did have to tighten the leg pivot bolts a bit to get the slop out of them, and I added a little loctite to prevent loosening.

Back