• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Axes and Hatchets and Machetes rule my life...

Got a lil project in gonna try. Found used firehose, 5$ per foot, shipped, on eBay. See if I can make some sheaths.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Today I used the boys axe to buck and limb half of a HUGE Bradford Pear tree that split off and fell in a recent windstorm. It was as quick to cut it at the forks with the axe as I could hope for. Fun to make wood chips! Three inch branches at the joints took three swings to clean. Easy even for this old man!

And then I split some really hard hickory to make grilling wood for BBQ chicken this evening. I love the "CLINK" sound of really hard wood banging together into a pile.

How did I miss this....rats. bradford pear. I would have had you ship that tree to me.....i would have made a ton of bowls for you dude.....

I typically carry a machete when opening up some shooting lanes. But i decided to bring the lil forest axe. Its not north country logging but that darn thing is sure sharp and made short work of the couple little trees i needed cut out. Old Bammer fat boy at work. Arrow blockers be gone.PICT0007 (7).JPG PICT0028 (8)-1.JPG

Welcome to the Jungle!

Where I live you don't cut things down to make your shooting lane. You must put things up.

Welcome to the Jungle!

Where I live you don't cut things down to make your shooting lane. You must put things up.
Perhaps geographical and grammatical difference explanation is in order these "shooting lanes" are technically open paths to kill spots nothing to do with recreational practice shooting. Lol

You have to go about 30 minutes from my house, up the mountain, to see that kind of jungle.

We live on one third of an acre, in the suburbs, on the outskirts of town.

This is about as much jungle as I can lay claim to, except for one shade tree in the front yard and a small palm.

20170917_075201_resized.jpg
Anyhow, I shot a possum with a pellet gun here last week, so this is my shooting Lane.

A Big truck load of stuff just got pruned off that eucalyptus tree or it would be much leafier. It's amazing how fast it grows. It took three guys with chainsaws and Ladders.

A Big truck load of stuff just got pruned off that eucalyptus tree or it would be much leafier. It's amazing how fast it grows. It took three guys with chainsaws and Ladders.

Ladders to prune a tree.....not good.

got any fairly good sized limbs left over? eucalyptus is nice stuff....

They needed ladders to get high enough in the tree so they could easily climb it.

I don't think my wife kept any of the wood, but it's easy to get around here, and there is more than one species.

Back in the Steamboat Days they planted it all over here for fuel, because it grew so fast and it burns hot.

Send me a PM with how big a piece you need.

8 inch wide when flat, two canvas layers, and a rubber liner. Should work well.

839ba83aac0ee9f9ea58daf5272b91b4 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That would make a great axe sheath. If you have a small scrap left over I would like to buy it from you. I would remove the rubber liner and put in a wooden dowel at the hinge point where the blade contacts the canvas. But that is just me. Again, great idea. Congrats on a new fun project.

I really dont like you crafty people. I can build things handle most mechanical tasks and enjoy working on guns and such but my attempts at craftwork look like second grade vacation bible school projects.

I really dont like you crafty people. I can build things handle most mechanical tasks and enjoy working on guns and such but my attempts at craftwork look like second grade vacation bible school projects.
I'm not crafty either. This is a trial and error, with some eBay materials. This was $5/foot shipped, so plenty of room for mistake.

I'm not crafty either. This is a trial and error, with some eBay materials. This was $5/foot shipped, so plenty of room for mistake.

I got 2 feet of it from my fireman buddy....
Check the local fire stations. They replace em every so often, cuz they dont last. It may be worn some but usually they have no problem cutting off a length of it....

8 inch wide when flat, two canvas layers, and a rubber liner. Should work well.
839ba83aac0ee9f9ea58daf5272b91b4.jpg

Take process pics!!!!

Back