• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Back with new toy - 464SPX

Necrius

Copper BB
Hello all,
WOW, it's been over a year since I last posted. My life was on hold so I could home care my father after mom died. He passed in February, I still need to find a job and rejoin the world of the living but I could not resist the 464SPX. I wanted a 30-30 that I wouldn't mind getting tossed around and used. I could never bring myself to take out a Marlin or Winchester - they are just too pretty.

I took off the side rails to regain the sleek slender feel of the forend. I have been switching between the magpul afg2 and the magpul xtm hand stop kit to see which I like better. For optics, I had a nikon 4-16x42 monarch 3 BDC and ordered the see thru mount from kwik site. One thing to keep in mind when considering this option (as seen in the photo) is that even though in theory it seems cool to quickly switch from scope to irons, depending on the objective diameter, you will lose a considerable about of field of view / sight picture.

I am a novice and haven't even thought of reloading so I am at the mercy of public opinion and manufacturers specs regarding ammo. On the hornady website, they claim that muzzle velocity drops anywhere from 25fps to 35fps for every inch of barrel loss from the test length of 24". Using nikon spot on software and entering the reduced MV and a sight height of 1.8" (due to the kwik site mount), the BDC circles with a 100 yard zero calculate dang close to 50 yard increments out to 300 yards (much longer than I feel comfortable shooting).

The factory sights seemed to me to be pretty much on target at 25 yards for a 6'oclock picture. I took three shots and made a triangle around the 1.5" 10 ring with two through the ring between 9 and 10. They hit at 1, 4 and 8 o clock around the ring. Being a short barreled, light gun (7.4 lbs. with scope), the felt recoil was more than I experienced from my 20" winchester but manageable. I was shooting the hornady leverevolution 160gr. round with a stated mv of 2400.

Unfortunately, I did not have enough ammo to confirm the 100 yard zero. After shooting a three round group at 100, I only had two rounds left so I just shot them without making any changes. The attached picture shows the five round group at 100 yards, shooting from a bench.

464-02.JPG

I adjusted the scope at home after measuring the group placement and still need to go back to the range. I must say that even though I do prefer and own the classics, I love this gun for what it is - a user that won't win any beauty contests LOL.

Peace,
Mark

Back