• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ballistol or Rem'oil?

never used either. but ive never heard anything good about rem-oil. i'm sure more responses will follow.

Amazing and it's distributed by Remington Arms Co. I also think Hoppe's bore cleaner is junk. It dries out faster than a popcorn fart.

In my opinion Rem-Oil does nothing particularly well. It is a very light machine oil which almost completely evaporates in short order. That makes it unsuitable as a lubricant for firearm actions. It does not lift or displace dirt, copper or carbon fouling so it a poor cleaning solvent. And as a rust preventative it is no better than kerosene or 3-in-one oil.

I have both those products in my upcoming evaluation of gun care products (along with about 37 other products) Depending on when all the products arrive in the mail I could begin the corrosion evaluation by the weekend.

I use Ballistol, works for me. No rust issues at all. If I really need to I'll use Hoppes for the bore but Ballistol is my preferred.

Good decision. Ballistol is far better than Rem-Oil for most applications including rust preventative, lubricant, cleaner, and as a gentle wintergreen-scented laxitave.

also think Hoppe's bore cleaner is junk. It dries out faster than a popcorn fart.

Please add further comments about the bore cleaning properties and drying out so quickly. Sounds very interesting.

I used Rem Oil for many years. As others have said, it not horrible;e but there are better options. I use Slip2K and it has worked great in all my guns.

Haven't used either.
But I like mbshops way of thinking with mobil1 oil. Hmmmm.
The combustion chamber of an engine gets way hotter than a bolt over time and an engine lubricant seems to work great. So why not on a bolt.
Might just have to try a dab or two myself.

I use Militec-1 and Wilson Ultima-Lube. To protect the bluing and anodizing I recently started using Renaissance Wax and it's good stuff that doesn't show fingerprints. I then do occasional wipe-downs with silicone rags. For detergent... I haven't used Hoppes since I switched to warm water and soap years ago! :eek: :D

I use Militec-1...

Good weapon grease. I've used it. It was as good as red synthetic Valvoline grease.

To protect the bluing and anodizing I recently started using Renaissance Wax and it's good stuff that doesn't show fingerprints.

Renaissance Wax makes a blued gun look absolutely incredible. Some sellers on GunBroker use it to make average blued guns look amazing. It is good hard paste wax. I like it.

For detergent... I haven't used Hoppes since I switched to warm water and soap years ago!

But what do you use for copper fouling?

I like Hoppes #9 for a lot of things. Soap and water to me is mostly for black powder. Are you finding it really good for other stuff about which I never knew?

I shoot a good deal of corrosive ammo out of my Mosins, so I like Ballistol. In my semi autos I use Gunzilla and Walmart auto grease (AKs).

I believe Ballistol to be a better lubricant than Rem oil. Rem oil is a light oil and evaporates to quickly. Ballistol works well for cleaning too. Having said that, I mostly use Frog Lube. Forgive me for mentioning it, because you know where it's going from here. ;)

Back