• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Break In?

Salberg

.22LR
Hello Gents,
Do shot gun barrels need to undergo a break in procedure? I'll be using 2 3/4" 00 Buck and 1 1/8oz slugs. What lubrication (CLP has been recommended) would do the job for the slugs or should the barrel be dry? Talking 500 and 590.

I hope this doesn't get me busted down to Copper BB again. :oops:

Be well

Here you go....

Shotgun Barrels ABSOLUTELY DO NOT require any "break in" procedure.

Barrel bores should not have wet oil inside them (except for very long term storage). The plastic wad provides the lubrication with shot shells, and rifled slugs will skid and don't get any rotation if the bore is oiled.

Yes, after extended firing some bore cleaner (Hoppes #9 or Ed's Red or something else) might be required to bring the bore back shiny and bright without plastic, lead or powder residue.

And there are action parts which probably need some grease or oil, and the exterior always yearns for a little bit of TLC.... But the bore is the one area that, if kept stored properly, will be perfect 50-years from now if just left alone after solvent and a dry patch is run thru, followed by a very damp patch with soaked with #9.

As nitesite said the barrels do not.

However many Semi Auto's will cycle better after a bit of a break in period with heavier loads.
Also many O/U or SxS wil break in or open easier after some use.

Sirs,

Thank you for your excellent replies. I guess I should have known but better to ask. as they say 1 "aw s***" wipes out all the "way to go's". Thanks again.

Sal

Back