• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

barrel for my 500

joespin82

Copper BB
I have a 500A 12g https://www.turners.com/mossberg/mossberg-500a-12-gauge-185-bar-6976
and couldnt seem to find longer barrels. it has a screw cap like the 590/835 have. I'm trying to find a longer barrel I could use for trap shooting or sporting clays. I went with some co workers and enjoyed it. its not something I plan on doing often maby every few months. id like to take my own shotgun and not have to barrow one every time. I used a 930 JM pro series. from what I looked up I can use 835 barrels. Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag12 Gauge All-Purpose Barrel 28" Bead Sight Matte Blued 90831 is what I'm looking at. just want to make sure I got this correct and where I can I a good deal on the barrel

I think Mossberg has barrels on sale right now but you'd have to call for availability.

If your 500 has the same magazine configuration as the 590 and 835, then yes, the 835 barrel would work. Though you won't be able to use the 3-1/2" shells because the 500/590 ejection port is smaller than that of the 835 but it doesn't sound as if you'd be using those anyway.

And welcome to Mossberg Owners!

Can you post a picture of the magazine cap before and after barrel replacement? I'm definitely interested in a similar set up and option. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

so I emailed Mossberg about using 835 barrels and this what they said.

This is one of a few of what I call "special-case" model 500s. Normally the 500 has a takedown screw, however like you've stated yours has an open lug and magazine cap. You cannot use the 835 barrels on the 500 because the 835 barrels are overbored. If you would like to use a longer 500 barrel, you will need to change out your magazine tube

Yes, you can use 835 barrels. Why that person said that, I'd love to know. An overbored barrel is the size of the bore, not the diam of the barrel. Ross is completely right on that. You can use *6 shot* (5+1) 590 barrels, not the common 9 shot (8+1) ones. If you plan to switch hit a lot, though, your best bet is always to get the common 6 shot 500 mag tube, though. That one item is the first item I always suggest to new 590 and 835 owners. If you have either, you should have that mag tube no matter what.

@MikeD ^^^ what say you? You change things up with yours yes?
I am not familiar with this specific model 500A but I doubt the receiver is any different then any other 500A. The barrel lug may be in a different location than a 835's so the appropriate length magazine tube would need to be used.

In general the barrels are interchangable between a 500A receiver and an 835 when using the appropriate magazine tube for the barrel

Yes 835 barrels are overbored. All this means is that they have a larger ID, basically a 10g bore, so it is not receommended to shoot slugs through them as they could theoretically tilt and become lodged in the barrel. They also use a larger diameter choke tube then the std model 500A. Mossberg only uses overbored barrels in the 835/935 models.

You cannot shoot 3.5" shells when using a 835 barrel on 500A receiver. Conversly you cannot shoot 3.5" shells from a 500A barrel mounted on a 835 receiver. You are limited to the smaller of the combination of the barrel/receiver capacity. I.e. if the barrel is stamped 2.75" shells only that is all you can shoot regardless of what receiver it is mounted to.

It would not surprise me that OFM would not advise this type of swap for liability reasons.

Back