• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Swap for Mossberg 500

rarrieta

.22LR
Hey y’all, so I just ordered a 12 gauge 18.5in security barrel from Mossberg so I can swap out this heavy tacticool breacher barrel that came with this one (Mossberg 500, sku #54124), and the new barrel won’t fit. The website says it would be compatible with my current 500, but it’s not. Looks like the takedown mount is much smaller on the new barrel so it won’t fit over the magazine tube, and it also uses a takedown screw (breacher barrel on my current setup uses a magazine cap). I emailed Mossberg, just waiting to hear back. Is there another barrel I can get? I honestly just want to take the breacher off. Unfortunately it’s not threaded. I appreciate any feedback in advance. I have added pics of my current setup for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3796.jpeg
    IMG_3796.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3806.jpeg
    IMG_3806.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 16
If I remember correctly the breacher barrel is designed and uses the 590 type barrel and mag tube.
To use the 500/ 18.5" barrel you will need to get a 500 mag tube.
mossberg_500_cruiser_54125_standoff.jpg
You have the cruiser stand-off barrel.
They sent you a 500 breacher barrel style barrel.
barrel90018.jpg

As I remember your 54124 is a similar style to the Thunder Ranch model which had the breacher barrel with a shorter LOP stock and older style 500 magazine cap. On the 54124 they have gone to the 590 style cap. The improvement over the screw type 500 magazine cap is access to the mag spring and follower without removing the tube. The other advantage of the 590 style magazine allows an extension tube to increase the capacity. However, this is likely negated with the breacher muzzle device which is not removal.

I'm not sure if a 590 barrel will fit this model due to the mag tube length but Mossberg should be able to advise.

As Old Mossy said you should be able to change out the mag tube and use conventional 500 barrels if you can't find a suitable barrel.

Regards

1701808830379.png

Last edited:
Much appreciated everyone! Funny thing is, I got a response from Mossberg and they said according to my serial number, I have a 590 Shockwave SPX. Hahaha, no I don’t. They further said they do not carry accessory barrels for the 590. Now I’m thinking if I should just send it to Vang Comp, Suarez Int, or somewhere else for some custom work. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Would rather keep this style barrel/magazine tube as oppose to swapping to a different magazine tube to fit the 500 style.

Last edited:
That's interesting! Flip the gun upside down and see if it says 500 or 590 just forward of the loading port opening?

Secondly, measure your mag tube length? A normal Shockwave mag tube is approximately 11 1/2 inches from the receiver's front face to the back end of the barrel lug.

They do make some 590 Shockwaves with a breacher barrel but they didn't have 18.5 inch barrels. Shockwave barrels are 14.375 inches.

What's is the overall length of the barrel from the receiver face to the end of the muzzle? 18 inches?

The 54124 model is essentially an upgraded model of the older 500 Thunder Ranch with a 14 inch LOP vice a 12.5 inch LOP on the Thunder Ranch.

Most of the regular non-shockwave 590 SPX models I've seen have an adjustable carbine butt stock.

Below is a picture of a Shockwave 590 SPX. Clearly not what you have.

109195.jpg

I know this thought is totally out of the blue but have you considered buying a second shotgun - maybe Mossberg Mavrick 88 with a 18.5 inch barrel. These are great shotguns and can be had new for around $200.

Plus you could keep the model you have. Choices are good.

I'm not sure what you want a gunsmith to do with the current barrel but those cost may exceed what you will pay for a second gun.

Just a thought for your consideration.

Regards

That's interesting! Flip the gun upside down and see if it says 500 or 590 just forward of the loading port opening?

Secondly, measure your mag tube length? A normal Shockwave mag tube is approximately 11 1/2 inches from the receiver's front face to the back end of the barrel lug.

They do make some 590 Shockwaves with a breacher barrel but they didn't have 18.5 inch barrels. Shockwave barrels are 14.375 inches.

What's is the overall length of the barrel from the receiver face to the end of the muzzle? 18 inches?

The 54124 model is essentially an upgraded model of the older 500 Thunder Ranch with a 14 inch LOP vice a 12.5 inch LOP on the Thunder Ranch.

Most of the regular non-shockwave 590 SPX models I've seen have an adjustable carbine butt stock.

Below is a picture of a Shockwave 590 SPX. Clearly not what you have.

View attachment 30161
Here are the shots requested. Agreed on what you’re saying. Definitely says 500 LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_4312.jpeg
    IMG_4312.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4313.jpeg
    IMG_4313.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4314.jpeg
    IMG_4314.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 6
I know this thought is totally out of the blue but have you considered buying a second shotgun - maybe Mossberg Mavrick 88 with a 18.5 inch barrel. These are great shotguns and can be had new for around $200.

Plus you could keep the model you have. Choices are good.

I'm not sure what you want a gunsmith to do with the current barrel but those cost may exceed what you will pay for a second gun.

Just a thought for your consideration.

Regards
I’ll be 100% honest, literally the only thing I want is to remove the breacher. Just a little too tacticool and unnecessary imo. I purchased this guy thinking the breacher “muzzle device” was threaded/removable. My background is in AKs/ARs so I’m sure you can understand my reasoning. And not against the idea of just picking up another one, two is one and one is none, as they say haha. Definitely keeping that in mind.

Well that's definitely an upgraded 500 Thunder Ranch model. That model was first introduced in 2011 if I remember correctly.

First of all I'm not a professional gunsmith but have done a lot of work over the decades. I'm not sure if your barrel has a built in choke or more likely with a breacher device it's wide open. Might check your spec sheet. If you cut the breacher device off you would still need to maintain the original barrel length of 18 inches so IMO options are limited.

Here's a review article on the original 500 Thunder Ranch model.

Well that's definitely an upgraded 500 Thunder Ranch model. That model was first introduced in 2011 if I remember correctly.

First of all I'm not a professional gunsmith but have done a lot of work over the decades. I'm not sure if your barrel has a built in choke or more likely with a breacher device it's wide open. Might check your spec sheet. If you cut the breacher device off you would still need to maintain the original barrel length of 18 inches so IMO options are limited.

Here's a review article on the original 500 Thunder Ranch model.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated! So funny that I can find literally zero information on my specific model. Even worse that Mossberg calls it a 590 shockwave from the serial #. I may just keep it as is for that same reason. Thanks again.

Here's a different thought to consider. There are 20 inch cylinder bore 590 barrels around even though Mossberg doesn't sell them. I've seen a couple for sale on Ebay in the past.

And the chamber locking lugs on a 500 barrel and a 590 barrel are the same. The thing you would need to research is mag tube compatibility. Is your mag tube length compatible with a standard 590 20 inch barrel. And I'm guessing it is. But you would need to find someone selling a barrel and get some exact measurements from them to make sure before buying.

If so, this might be your best option for a second barrel. And in use you will likely never see much difference in overall barrel length.

Regards

A breacher barrel is valuable to many people, so much so you would have no problem selling it for a profit on debay. Perhaps offer it up for trade for a "regular" SW barrel. It is gut-wrenching to see someone wanting to cut the end off! :eek:

I see "parts-only" (no receiver) 500s, 88s and occasional SW routinely go for $100-$150-ish on a gun-busters auction on GB. THAT could be an option to re-barrel the gun.

You might even find a short barrel that matches your tube from a brother or sister in Canada, where they are more "legal". :rolleyes:

A breacher barrel is valuable to many people, so much so you would have no problem selling it for a profit on debay. Perhaps offer it up for trade for a "regular" SW barrel. It is gut-wrenching to see someone wanting to cut the end off! :eek:

I see "parts-only" (no receiver) 500s, 88s and occasional SW routinely go for $100-$150-ish on a gun-busters auction on GB. THAT could be an option to re-barrel the gun.

You might even find a short barrel that matches your tube from a brother or sister in Canada, where they are more "legal". :rolleyes:
My original plan was just to swap the barrel out and keep the breacher barrel. I’ll keep searching around and hopefully I’ll be able to find a replacement barrel and still hold on to this one.

Rarrieta,
I’m looking at the photos you posted and IMHO that is one good looking shotgun. Why change a thing.
The breacher barrel looks scary but really only those of us in the know understand what it’s for.
I’m not sure of your intended use but as a HD weapon that is assume.

Rarrieta,
I’m looking at the photos you posted and IMHO that is one good looking shotgun. Why change a thing.
The breacher barrel looks scary but really only those of us in the know understand what it’s for.
I’m not sure of your intended use but as a HD weapon that is assume.
I appreciate that man! Yea I’m actually feeling the same way about it and probably going to keep it this way. Thanks again.

You would need to get the 18.5" barrel from a newer 590 model, but before Mossberg started putting 6-shot tubes on the 590's

The 18" barrel off the 590A1 would work, but its parkerized, not matte blued, so the finish will be off, and they are now updated for 6-shot mag tubes (yours is 5-shot).

The breacher barrel is really a 14" ish barrel with the breacher extension portion brazed/soldered on to make it to 18.5", and is heavy-walled like the A1

Since Mossberg changed the mag tube to 6-shot on the 590's for all but the Thunder Ranch (which has the same breacher barrel as yours), you are basically stuck with it unless you swap the mag tube to 6-shot, and 18" barrel off the Model 50778 (590, non heavy walled, 18" barrel, blued)

If you bought a 50778 model you could swap the breacher barrel and your current mag tube on it, put the barrel and mag tube off the 50778 on your gun (and you'd be getting a +1 as that tube holds 6) and sell the 50778 as a 'frankengun' privately, thats probably the only/best option, as I'm sure buying the mag tube and the barrel off the 50778 model, if Mossberg would sell them to you, might cost as much as another gun anyway

You would need to get the 18.5" barrel from a newer 590 model, but before Mossberg started putting 6-shot tubes on the 590's

The 18" barrel off the 590A1 would work, but its parkerized, not matte blued, so the finish will be off, and they are now updated for 6-shot mag tubes (yours is 5-shot).

The breacher barrel is really a 14" ish barrel with the breacher extension portion brazed/soldered on to make it to 18.5", and is heavy-walled like the A1

Since Mossberg changed the mag tube to 6-shot on the 590's for all but the Thunder Ranch (which has the same breacher barrel as yours), you are basically stuck with it unless you swap the mag tube to 6-shot, and 18" barrel off the Model 50778 (590, non heavy walled, 18" barrel, blued)

If you bought a 50778 model you could swap the breacher barrel and your current mag tube on it, put the barrel and mag tube off the 50778 on your gun (and you'd be getting a +1 as that tube holds 6) and sell the 50778 as a 'frankengun' privately, thats probably the only/best option, as I'm sure buying the mag tube and the barrel off the 50778 model, if Mossberg would sell them to you, might cost as much as another gun anyway
Man, I appreciate the info! After all that I might as well just keep this one as is and buy another shotgun in the future. Not sure it would be worth all the hassle just for a barrel swap. The intricacies of these shotguns are fascinating!

Rarrieta, your experience with the original Thunder Ranch and your upgraded model is a good example of the crazy marketing strategies these days.

However, that confusion is pale in comparison to today's Shockwave line. The original Shockwaves with their 14.375 inch length barrel and 26.37 overall length came out in 2017 and were offered with either a plain or breacher barrel and birds head stock.

Today when folks talk about a having a "Shockwave" you really need to understand their definition. While Shockwaves still come in their original configuration there is an upgraded model that, without external mods, cycles the mini shells as well as the standard length shells.

And then we have the "Shockwave" model 51600 that comes with an 18.5 inch barrel with an overall length of 30.75 inches.

And to add to the confuusion there is a mag fed Shockwave, model 50208, with a 15 inch barrel.

Added to this is a number of different finishes ranging from traditional wood to cerakoat.

Talk about customer confusion but guess they are playing off the Shockwave name to sell different models to all folks.

And as you've experienced finding information on a specific model and worse, replacement parts, is a nightmare.

Regards

Last edited:
Back