• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Threading ~~ UPDATED PICS!!

Awesome

Can't wait to check out the pics on a screen bigger than my phone

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Nice pics bro!

Looks like a clean threading job too. Let us know how she does after you've had a chance to send a few down range...

I'm going to try and sneak out tomorrow! I have some left over skeet shells to launch down range. I just have to make sure that there aren't any junior hunters out and about the woods surrounding the range. I'd feel pretty shitty scaring deer away from some first timers :(

The threading is even better than you can see in the pictures. I'm gonna get the cannon point and shoot out and try to get better pics tomorrow as well. There is some residual gunk that he must have used for coolant or lube, but it wiped away with some Hoppes :)

I'm definitely going to get this done on my 930 barrel as soon as funds will allow.

Thanks Rossignol! I think I talked the ole' Lady into getting me either a scope or the Hasting Rifled Choke for Christmas :)

MikeD: lemme know when you send it out, I'll shoot the guy a message. Maybe get it done just as quick as mine. He says 10 day turn around, definitely only like 6 haha :)

Itsricmo said:
MikeD: lemme know when you send it out, I'll shoot the guy a message. Maybe get it done just as quick as mine. He says 10 day turn around, definitely only like 6 haha :)

Will Do. It probably won't be for another couple months

Okay! No worries! :) I can just email him and be like:

"Yo, waddup Brotha'! I got a dawg sendin' you some partz!!"

haha... or:

"Hey Steve, a fella I know from Mossberg Owners is going to be sending you a 930 barrel to be threaded, Name Mike *******, Great guy, likes you work! Thanks Rick..."

:p

MORE PICTURES! :D

Well my light source this time around is a 9 LED cheapo I got from a Vo-tech Open House:

DSC01060.jpg

Here are a few of the inside, I was messing around with the settings on my Sony Cyber Shot (Not a Cannon like I thought haha):

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01063.jpg

Here is an External View of Sir MikeD's Straight Rifled Choke (Shoot Buck Shot 00 Out of it? )

DSC01065.jpg

And Internal:

DSC01064.jpg

Here are a few of my Shotty with the Traditional Style Stock I have reverted back to for ease of use. I LOVED the LEO Adpater, I would have absolutely loved to of upgraded to the High Tube, but for my purposes it was A LOT of money sitting in the corner for HD :p and I got better stuff done with the money I recieved, EXAMPLE: A Threaded Security Barrel, who woulda thought? :p

DSC01066.jpg

My Cat getting a feel for the cheek weld ;)

DSC01055.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

What do you think: Scope than Rifled Choke

Or Rifled Choke than Scope?

I think I could still pretty accurately hit the deer with the bead, I even have a red dot that could do for now

Sorry man, I can't advise on either.

I haven't enjoyed a sight on my shotguns and I haven't used a rifled choke. Rather helpful aren't I! :D

DRATS! lol.. Well with your infinite experience... :) ... What would you think of doing should you fall into the same situation?

For me, if I did a sight, it would have to be a low profile deal. I can't stand not havin a good cheek weld with full power 12 ga recoil.

I can't think of a need personally for a rifled choke. I haven't used one and don't know of the benefits.

Hmmmm... I think if I were doin it right now, id look into a low profile red dot or if I wanted magnification, I. Would consider somethin like the variable power, (1.25 - 4 power) scopes. That would really bring 50 to 75 yard shots in close, or back it off for closer targets.

You mention it bein primarily and HD firearm though, in which case a variable power scope wouldn't serve you well. A red dot may be the way to go, like the SightMark. For HD ranges, I don't see a ton of benefit from a rifled choke. Improved or modified maybe?

Oh My Apologies, Sir!!! It is my primary HD shotgun, however, with the choke system now it is my most Versatile Firearm and I will be using it to hunt once again :)

Thus where the Hastings Rifled Choke comes into play for White Tail and Bear :)

The scope I had in mind is a Bushnell Banner 1.5x - 4x with a 32mm objective lens. I want steer clear of red dots if possible, makes precision sort of difficult hunting. I have the Sight Mark and could make due with it, just hunt in the thick brush, skipping the fields, but that is if I get the Rifled Choke. The Banner has a 6" eye relief at 1.5x and something like 4" at 4x. It is a shotgun specific scope.

All reviews actually say that you should shoot something like Sluggers or KO's out of the choke, because they bring "rifled" slugs up to or near the accuracy of Sabots. (roughly 3" at 100yds.. so says the average joe doing reviews)

I would go for the optics first

The performance increase I've experienced with rifled choke tubes has been negligible

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Okay, I presume I could get the Banner and a Extended IC Choke from Carlson's for slugs. I'll get some KO and Fed Tru-ball to test out which does better

Another question for you fellas with more Experience than me:

Would there be an added benefit of the Variable 1.75 - 4x over the Fixed 4x? I could save a few bucks and extend it towards a better set of rings if the benefit, be it any, is just as well negligible.

Thanks!

Ahhhh, I gotcha! Sounds like you got a good plan and maybe give my experience too much credit, I do however appreciate it! ;)

I really like the way the set up sounds and I get your predicament now. I'll defer to MikeD's judgement! :D

Okay I shall wait to hear back from MikeD:

Scope: Fixed or Variable?

Choke Tube: Carlson's or Hastings?

Thanks Again, Brad! :D

Back