• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bead sight on my new 590A1 is crooked, thoughts please

I wasn't going to mention it on here but after doing a little research on Mossbergs and crooked front sights and finding it's common enough after doing a Google search, I thought maybe it is in fact a good idea to ask advice on this forum.

I bought my 590A1 model 51411 a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy with it, but I began to notice that the front bead sight is very slightly crooked, like Italy's leaning tower of Pisa. At first I thought it was me and in different light it "seemed" fine, but mostly it nearly always looked crooked. I finally got serious, put on my glasses (for things close) got out the magnifying glass, and double checked with a "feeler gauge", and yep, it's crooked, it's not me, not my eyes, not the lighting, the bead sight is crooked, it leans to the right.

I should say this, the base of the sight is not flush with the barrel, there is maybe half a thread between the base of the sight and the top of the barrel, so it looks like it can be screwed in a couple of hairs more, or maybe half a turn or one full turn, but regardless, it's crooked. I don't want to screw it in, I'm thinking I should leave it untouched in case Mossberg wants me to send the barrel back.

I thought about asking Mossberg to first send me a new bead sight in case it's just the bead that's crooked.

I thought about asking Mossberg to send me a new barrel in case the hole drilled in the barrel is crooked and a new sight won't fix it.

I thought maybe something else is wrong, out of alignment, but hopefully that's not the case, I would hate to have to send the entire gun back.

I thought maybe get an XS Big Dot and have a gunsmith install it, drill it straight this time, but bead sights don't fade out after ten years and I pretty much want to stay with the bead sight, but a tritium sight does have its appeal, I won't deny that.

So anyway, I just thought I'd put this out here and solicit your thoughts, advice, past experiences, etc.

Thank you my fellow Mossberg enthusiasts!

You can unscrew it yourself. It's really easy. Grab some blue loctite and screw it back in.

I replaced my front sight with a meprolight tritium bead. Easiest install ever.

you need to determine if the hole is straight before you do anything.

I've looked at this very closely and it seems to me the hole has been drilled crooked. I spoke to somebody at Mossberg about my options and I think it's best to leave the barrel untouched so they can see this is exactly how it left the factory and I'm hoping they provide a new barrel.

Thanks for the suggestions and replies!

They certainly should make it right.

Keep us posted.

Back