• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best barrel for my project ?

joespride

Copper BB
So I'm converting my mossberg 500-A to a tactical home defense, I have the combo with 24 & 28" smooth bore barrels I thought I would sell both my barrels and buy the 18.5 inch smooth bore, but I have a chance to trade my 24" rifle sight smooth bore for a scoped 24" rifled barrel straight up trade,

Now I'm wandering how the rifling would affect the bird shot rounds I plan to use, the scope mount would make for an easy way to attach a tactical scope/laser. I'm assuming the rifling would concentrate the shot into a smaller pattern ( not exactly optimal for home defense ) I suppose I could fire a couple rounds and do some measurements but I was kinda hoping someone here might shed some light?

I would also be interested in knowing the value of a mossberg scoped barrel with the scope mounted I believe this is all factory original

Joe

hello Joe,from what i understand shooing bird shot from a rifled barrel will cause the shot to spin in a circle as it leaves the muzzle,,,,,,hitting like an open circle.

Like Mossy said, the rifling will cause the pattern of the shot to open up.......picture how a blender at full speed causes the liquid to go away from the center of the container.......it's centrifigul force.

I would also suggest using your current 24" barrel and trying to move through your home.......see if you have pinch points where that barrel length is simply too long to move with the gun shouldered. The 5.5" difference between a 24" and an 18.5" is a lot more than you realize when you are trying to move with it. Some houses your okay, others not so much.

Hey thanks guys, I did some more reading and found others stating the donut effect from rifled barrel, guess that's out of the question, the 24" barrel causes several pinch points, guess I'm on the hunt for the 18.5" barrel.

Any advice on value of my existing barrels ( I will sell them to finance the shorter barrel and maybe a heat shield

Existing barrels are
28" vent rib smooth boar, and 24" rifled scope barrel with factory scope, I also have the original wood stock and forfend in great shape checkered grip areas

joespride,

I personally recomend the Vang Comp 18.5 barrel. They sell the barrel with all their goodies done to it (Porting, chamber cone, and back bore) for about $200.00.

If you would like to trade, I have a stock 18.5 barrel (Brand new, never shot) that I would trade you for your 28". PM me and let me know.

Frank

Back