• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best Gunsmithing tools?

Need I say more? :cool:

Magnets and a bright flashlight. Every time I drop something I get a great view of how much dog hair is on the floor. One day after vacuuming! I wouldn't give her up for clean floors though:).

Nut-N fancy. A headlight flashlight, magnifying glass for old eyes, toothpicks/chopsticks/Q-tips/dental picks, an allen wrench set all those don't really need to be high end. I'd spend a bit more for quality good fitting screwdrivers and gunsmithing files. A dremmel can be a great tool or a gun wrecker, so in ALL things go easy & don't force things. If your having a tough time & getting frustrated, walk away for a while & cool off. The right tool for the job is great, realistically you won't have it, so being patient and a good improviser go a long way. Know your limitations and have realistic expectations. When a smith is needed use one.

Thank you NachoGrande.

Good lighting is really essential, particularly if you are old and have cataracts. I still weld OK, because there's always plenty of light but I wear 3x cheaters on my goggles so I can see without sticking my nose in the puddle.

I upgraded all the lighting in my garage last year to LED overhead fixtures. What a difference.

I also have a big magnifying work light for fine work.

The aftermath of an over Enthusiastic Dremel operator. His touch-up paint didn't hide the scratches.

It just made them embarrassing.
Fortunately it fell off when I oiled the gun.

toobig-1.jpg

BTW, This is a closeup picture of the infamous California Bullet Button.

I always taped off the surrounding area's and on any contact points (vise/clamp) when I worked on someone elses' gun just in case of such mishaps.

You would expect him to be more careful, especially since I hadn't paid for the gun at the time.

Back