• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best way to Store for Home Defense

tlpe548b

Copper BB
Im looking for a good way to store my spx for home defense, i was very sold on something like a http://www.shotlock.com/ until i figured out the spx wouldn't fit. How does everyone else store theres, any good suggestions? I ran accross http://www.safetybullet.com/, this seems like an awesome solution if it was made for 12 gauges :).

I need something to keep the kids out, but still fairly quick access

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions, thanks!

When you've got kids in the house, it's always a compromise. I don't, so I haven't any knowledge of stuff like this except what I see advertised. There are members who have many different solutions for this tho. Have you tried searching the forum for pertinent threads? :)

From the Last Frontier!

HERE'S a thread on storage. As Gunny said, there's lots of different opinions on the matter, I'm all about the training/teaching your children to be respectful of the firearm, but there's some good discussion in the linked thread.

aksavanaman said:
From the Last Frontier!

HERE'S a thread on storage. As Gunny said, there's lots of different opinions on the matter, I'm all about the training/teaching your children to be respectful of the firearm, but there's some good discussion in the linked thread.

That reminds me. Besides the fingerprint biometric, you can also get voice activated gun safes. May not be good if you catch a cold, but technology is into everything these days. There's probably retina readers, maybe even full face recognition. I know that some of this kind of thing can be programmed to recognize more than one person also. Worth exploring all the options.

Thanks for the info. Ya they are young 5 and 3, i'm a big fan of education as well when they are older, but I still do not think they should have access to it without me, even in their teens. But only time will tell my opinions on the matter in the future.

Im fairly new to guns in general, the spx is my first gun. I got it mainly for a defense when bow hunting big game (on the ground) and doubling as home defense. I'm 26, for some reason I was sold on an auto loader, everyone tried to tell me to get a pump. I just feel like I would have to put a couple hundred into a pump to get it where I wanted to be, and it would have little to no resell value. The spx came out of the box what I wanted, and seems to hold's it's value well, which is important to me if I decide to get rid of it later. I had been shopping around for awhile, going back and forth educating myself on various models, and was pretty sold on the spx. I ran into one at my local dick's, apparently it had been sitting in the back for awhile, it was the only one I could find so I figured I should grab it.

It is just really frustrating that there are tons of super quality bio-metric pistol safes for under $200. Even getting a quality safe for a shotty is $400-500 minimum, all of the cheaper one seem to have very mixed reviews. Which would be fine if I was planning on owning more long guns, I am currently not.

Im thinking I'll keep the magazine loaded, camber empty, safety on, and up high out of sight for the time being, until I can find good safe. I am also considering keeping a snap cap in the camber and first up in the mag as extra precaution. Has anyone had any experience with the brass pro-shot snaps? How do they cycle? The only other ones I've found that seem to be great quality are the Beretta snap caps, but they are running ~40 a pair.

tlpe548b said:
I am also considering keeping a snap cap in the camber and first up in the mag as extra precaution. Has anyone had any experience with the brass pro-shot snaps?

While a snap cap in the chamber for a pump could make sense (although it would be an inert shell that COULD fail to extract in a time you need it most) , I don't see how it would be a great idea for an autoloader. That would mean you'd have to rack the bolt three times before you get a hot shell in the chamber... seems like for HD that would kinda defeat the purpose. I would just keep the chamber empty and the tube full with your favorite 00, 000 or #4 Buck... Then you just have to rack the bolt once and you're in business, just my $0.02. ;)

This was a big dilemma for me as you can see from the link above. Your kids are just a little older than my son and I know it will be a bigger issue in the future.

What I have done so far is to keep the shotty up high in my closet; it is over he door opening on two hooks so figure 7' off the ground, safety for what it's worth is on. There are five rounds of 00 buck in the tube and nothing in the chamber. Originally I had a breech lock on but it really wasted lots of precious time if ever needed for real so it is no longer on. In the future I think maybe a cabinet with biometric lock may be the way to go. Hard to justify for one firearm but when you have a few it's easier.

This is a tough decision and at least you've made the first good decision to seek advice and be conscious about safety with kids. If only every other firearm owner was as cautious there would be far less accidents.

My wife and I have kids right around the same age. I girl at 5 and a boy at 2. We have worked out a little system that seems to work well for us. I keep all my guns in my primary safe with the exception of the 930 and a Ruger SR9. The primary safe is bolted down to the foundation in my office. However in our bedroom we have a pistol sized biometric safe sitting on my nightstand with the SR9 in it. We keep it ready to go with one in the chamber. In addition to the bio pistol safe we also have a small stack-on lock-n-key rifle safe right next to my nightstand. i keep the 930 in this with one in the chamber +7 in the mag.

Our trick is that we keep a key to the stack-on in the pistol safe. So our process is that if we hear something and feel the need to arm ourselves I will reach over and open the bio safe, get out the SR9 and hand it to the wife, I will then get the key to the stack-on and get out the 930. We have found that we can have both weapons out and be in the designated positions we have worked out in about 20 seconds. It seems to be a really good compromise because there is no chance the kids are going to get to either weapon but being able to be ready to rock and roll with 17+1 rounds of 9mm and 7+1 rounds of 12ga in 20 seconds is not to bad.

hope this helps!

Save your money and get a safe. Get one with a key pad. Takes 3 sec to access and you can keep it loaded.

Back