• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

BlackHawk Serpa System Holster.

3skulls

.270 WIN
Don't have a CCDW permit yet so if I carry, it has to be open.

Wanted something that I felt was secure and something that was comfortable to wear. Shopping online for certain items like a holster, can be difficult.

I could get my hands on the BlackHawk with a short ride over to the local Bass Pro Shop.
I said what the Hell and went for it.

a7ada2yz.jpg

After having it for a couple of months, I'm really liking it. I have the "Sportster" model.
Is it something I would take into battle? I doubt it. They do have a carbon fiber version that is stronger but I couldn't find any local.
For what I need it for, I feel its strong enough. Time will tell if it holds up.

After picking up my 2nd pistol I added the Quick Disconnect system to my holster.

I wanted to keep the holsters as close as possible when wearing different pistols. This now allows me to keep the paddle hooked to my belt and I can change out holsters within a min.
sudu5eqy.jpg

You can also pick and change your cant very easily. The "cog" rotates 360*.
Adding the quick disconnect does add about 3/4" between the holster and the paddle.
9azysy4e.jpg

Being an open carry holster, I find that to be a benefit. Keeps the gun away from my body some and allows to tuck my shirt down behind the holster.

The paddle portion is very comfortable.
e7y3eha7.jpg

It had 3 hooks. 2 to catch your belt and 1 to catch the inside of your pants. It's not coming out unless you really take your time to take it off.

With the quick disconnect system, you can also add attachments to MOLLE gear, drop legs or even screw the female "cog" under a desk.
enajepa4.jpg

y6uqu8e6.jpg

Now I have read the horror stories with people having troubles with accidental discharge while drawing their weapon.

I'm not sure if they were in high stress environment or just didn't know how to work the holster. To me, I feel its a very safe system. If you were really pushing down hard on the release lever while drawing, I could see someone having a problem. Now would that same person have the same problem with a different set up? I'm not sure.

Like i said, to me I feel very safe. Even safer with a 1911 with the thumb safety on and my Sig with DA/SA.

Overall...
Really happy with the whole system.
Feels safe and secure.
Open carry only (unless you had a huge coat on)

If you guys have any questions or if I can get a pic of something not shown, let me know.

Here are a couple more shots on the vest.

Thanks for reading, hope this helps some
rugeje6u.jpg

hybevesa.jpg

I will add. The the holster or the cog wheel is attached with 3 screws. (As you can see in the pics)

When using just the paddle and holster. You can also adjust the cant front and back.
e9ypu4un.jpg

The screws did come with loctite on them.

You can also pick and change your cant very easily. The "cog" rotates 360*.
Adding the quick disconnect does add about 3/4" between the holster and the paddle.
9azysy4e.jpg

That wouldn't be pointing right at the photographer would it? ;-D

Nice write up. I've heard some mixed reviews on these as there seems to be an issue with them locking up if things get into the mechanism. I've not actually used one myself but know a few that do.

Haha it wasn't but it looks that way. It was also unloaded while I was out taking those pics.

I could see a problem with something getting stuck in there. Going through brush or the like and something getting wedged in there.

ydy9e6us.jpg

arutepup.jpg

y4a3umez.jpg

7a2eju7a.jpg

Even with a stick small enough to fit in there I can still press the release to allow the pistol to come out.
Now something with no give, like a metal rod or gravel or something might have a different outcome. Defiantly a good point and something to think about.

Nice write-up!

Nicely detailed and the pics are great. I have three of the Serpa Sportster paddles that I use primarily for the range. I'll post up some pics later this evening...

Coincidentally, the Glock 21 model also fits my Beretta 92 Vertec...

...and Beretta M9A1...

Fitting the 92 Vertec and M9A1 was a nice bonus since Blackhawk doesn't "officially" make a holster for the railed Beretta models...

I have a couple of them for the Beretta 92. Both right and left handed that I use very often. Especially when I'm checking my trail camera's. It is also one of my first grabs.

I had a friend who used one of those with his issue M9 while in Iraq back about 10 years ago.

I don't know anyone personally that has had any trouble with them. I think they are very well made and a good design. I am happy with all of mine.

Wow nice!
Looks like the one for the mid size Glocks has been worn a bit :)

So have you had any problems with any of them?

Thanks for posting man.

Good to know John! I'm glad you guys like them as well.
I was on the fence with them but it was one of the only ones I could get my hands on and see in person.

At one point I even put it down. Glad I went back for it.
Thanks for the input John.

Wow nice!
Looks like the one for the mid size Glocks has been worn a bit :)

Thanks for posting man.

Yes Sir,

I've carried my Glock 19 in the first one pictured for years. It's seen the most use for sure. Haven't had any issues and have been very happy with all of them...

With the Serpa holster, I have trained myself to inspect the release whenever I go through brush. I also check it very closely when shooting matches that require the shooter to "get dirty" (Going to ground to complete the stage). You DO NOT want to get a pebble or other debris behind the release. As far as shooting yourself while using this holster.... Keep you finger off the damn trigger and it will not happen.

I know someone who fell off a horse with a Serpa and it took about 10 minutes of digging with a pocket knife to get all the crap out from under the button to release the gun. Don't know anyone who had a discharge on the draw.....seems like I heard of someone locally losing a pistol in the brush but cant put my finger on who, few years ago.
I like them but that mud really put it out for a while, didn't have any close by water to flush it out.......oh and the fact someone can easly snatch your gun on the sneak or in a wrestling match, other than that they seem great

Ouch. Hope he was ok.
It would be nice if they had a way to pop the lever off for when a time like that occurs.

Now that had been something that pops in my mind. When your pistol becomes a target and someone comes to take it.
How do other holsters compare? What makes other holsters better in that regard?

Ouch. Hope he was ok.
It would be nice if they had a way to pop the lever off for when a time like that occurs.
it was a she and she was fine tough as hell cowgirl.......
Now that had been something that pops in my mind. When your pistol becomes a target and someone comes to take it.
How do other holsters compare? What makes other holsters better in that regard?
holsters with less obvious release or multiple retention systems work better for someone else trying to get you weapon. At least gives you more time to club them in the face. Since you hang yours in the front of your vest I wouldn't worry about it as much because you can protect it better than if it was on your hip or drop leg set up

The retention system is probably a good thing for open carry.

The 2 main items discussed have been touched on here - crud in the button and ADs on the draw. The crud is obviously true but most mechanical systems will be subject to that failure.

The ADs are largely if not completely exaggerated. Even if true the user has developed a bad habit and is not controlling their finger properly on the draw. One could cry 'bad design' but the finger pulls the trigger not the holster.

I have one and use it occasionally when I carry a G22 and may be doing some moving around. Comp Tac usuually has enough retention for me (and is a helluva holster IMHO!).

I just ordered a CT paddle holster for a Ruger SR40c that is on the way. They have gone up from $57 to $63 but are excellent holsters for carry or competition - a great balance of retention and fast, confident draw!

Back