• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bob Costas on gun control

Re: Boob Costas

I hate when they get on their soapbox and spew crap like that...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbUf4GZrMk[/youtube]

I never cared for Bob Costas and I like him even less now.

Carrying a gun has had the opposite effect on me. It makes me look for less confrontational means of getting out of situations without escallating it.

I have swallowed my pride and walked away many many times because it's not worth fighting over some things.

People always like to look for excuses for people behavior rather then looking at the individual. Some people are more prone to violence than others, miswired, etc. Some will act out and do harm regardless of the tools equipped. You can blame mommy and daddy all you want but at the end of the day, we are all in control of our own actions. The gun does not cause violent people to act out, but in the right hands it can damn well stop it.

...with "God Bless America" playing in the background none-the-less! Tell me that was a coincidence! Though he quoted him heavily for his comments on gun control Costas conveniently did not mention Jason Whitlock's (FOX) further comments about multiple concussions and the adverse affect on players - this in an industry that plays fast and loose with life altering enhancement drugs, masking techniques and ways to stay one step ahead of the rules and tests to gain an extra percent of physical prowess at any cost with no regard for short or long-term affects on the player's health be it physical or mental.

OY - don't get me started!

I figure when Costas and NBC start addressing NFL and NBA players drug problems, animal abuse problems, financial problems and other such issues they can talk gun control...til then this is just another pot calling the kettle black scenario. Unfortunetly, pitching this to the football crowd was a bad idea, and I'm sure we haven't heard the start of the backlash.

The Jason Whitlock article that Costas quotes from:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jova ... day-120112

"In the coming days, Belcher’s actions will be analyzed through the lens of concussions and head injuries. Who knows? Maybe brain damage triggered his violent overreaction to a fight with his girlfriend. What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."

Convenient what Costas did NOT quote. ARG!

I'm petty confident that if he wanted to kill her that possessing a gun is a moot point...but I'm sure the anti-gun crowd will disagree with me.

Never let a crises go to waste.

I ended up turning the game off soon after that anyway.
I don't like politics and the media to begin with.. That's just me.. :)

MikeD said:
Carrying a gun has had the opposite effect on me. It makes me look for less confrontational means of getting out of situations without escallating it.

Me too, the last thing I want to do is have to use a firearm on someone. I do carry so I will draw the weapon if all other reasonable option were exhausted for the given situation and my extent of involvement in that situation. I think a lot of people who don’t carry are quick to talk and think about all the ways they would use it to save the world or not take s**t but when you are actually packing a gun you think about ways not to use it, unless you’re a psycho then you’re going to get shot by sane people with guns

Bob Costas tried to clarify things today. I won't take time to point out the obvious blunders and falsehoods in his comments. I will note that it's the typical anti gun crapola. It could have been said by any anti gunner:
On gun control:
“Here’s where I stand: I do not want to see the Second Amendment repealed. I don’t want to see a prohibition on people owning guns. People should be able to own guns for their own protection, (and) obviously those who are hunters. But there’s a proliferation of guns in this country. The access to guns is too easy in some cases. I don’t see any reason why a citizen should be able to arm themselves — as they can in some states — in ways that only the police or the military should be able to … why do you need a semi-automatic weapon?”

On his closing:
“There is a gun culture in this country. It expresses itself in different ways. There are those who honestly believe that if you stopped someone from being able to purchase a semi-automatic weapon, an assault rifle, that that’s the first step down a slippery slope of denying an old lady a gun in her house for her own protection. There are people who believe that. There are people who honestly believe that in Aurora, Colorado, if only a dozen or so people there to watch the Batman movie had been packing, they would have been able to take down this nut-job who showed up in full body armour with all kinds of military-type guns. I think any police officer, if you told them that, would roll their eyes. Because they know that would happen in that situation is just more carnage.”

The whole thing:http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...trol-remarks-on-jovan-belcher-murder-suicide/

Ripjack13, can I add to that? I was thinking Boob Costass.

Costas doesn't regret anything he said he knew what he was doing. Many many more heard his message than will hear his back peddeling. The message was sent and he knows it.

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

carbinemike said:
Ripjack13, can I add to that? I was thinking Boob Costass.

It's funny you should say that....I almost did the same thing. ...cept with hole.
;)

I have been following the many rants on FB about this incident to be light about it...
VERY Entertaining! While these channels do need to be censored to only broadcast what it is intended too, there are slip ups.. this was not one of those however!

It was a blatant attack, because, just as MikeD has pointed out, many have heard his message and it is too late to stop it...

Back