• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bob Costas on gun control

Costas is still it courtesy of Bill O'Reilly who gave him a forum to contiue spreading misinformation. Some of the lowlights:

But Costas, who had three days to digest criticism by those who believe “guns don’t kill people,” revealed on Bill O’Reilly’s program he is woefully unaware of current gun laws in America – suggesting he is opposed to the unrestricted sale of “military-style artillery” and “automatic weapons,” both of which are banned.

O’Reilly didn’t point out that fact in the interview.

Costas insisted he is not opposed to the Second Amendment of the Constitution but merely wants to address “a gun culture in this country.”

“It plays itself out in many ways, but it almost always leads to tragedy rather than safety,” he said.

Costas also added that when guns are prevalent, “far more often than not, bad things happen.”

For his part in the discussion, O’Reilly suggested it was America’s founding fathers “who gave us the right to bear arms,” a claim that the founders themselves would find ludicrous. They believed the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights were universal, inherent and inalienable – i.e., bestowed by God.

carbinemike said:
Costas also added that when guns are prevalent, “far more often than not, bad things happen.”

It is his opinion and is driven by fear and and preconcieved/media images that are a very distorted view of the "gun culture".

The number of people killed by guns compared to the number that carry and use them for legal activities every day is so miniscule that most statisticians would ignore it it were related to anything else but the media spins it to look like the majority of gun owners are rogue vigilantes that will engage in a shootout at the mere drop of a hat with blatant disregard for public safety.

I've carried for many years and have never had to draw my gun on anything other than paper targets on the range and I live in the FBI's most violent city in America for the last two years running.

I really wish the media would start taking some responsibility and differentiating fact from opinion when reporting on guns (or anything for that matter). We have become a society where perception is more important than substance and the MSM is definitely driving perception.

Who here paid attention in 5th grade science class?

If you did, you would know that you do not need a gun to kill someone if that is your intention.

You can use bare hands/choking, fists, rocks/stoning, rope, sharp things, sticks, heavy things, drowning, plastic bags, pillows, hot water, poison, food depravation, water depravation, swallow a cup of table salt, etc etc etc etc etc.

Anything that will disrupt normal body functions to the extreme will cause death if prolonged enough. It's really that simple.

I guess my question is, where's the outrage for the mans actions that killed his wife?? It was HIS choice, and HIS actions. Not an inanimate objects' fault.

I was hurt badly in a car wreck a couple of years ago from a woman who was too busy on her cell phone to watch what she was doing.

Was I mad at her cellphone?

no.

Was I mad at Chevrolet for building the truck she was driving about 60 mph that wrecked into 3 stopped cars in front of her?

no.

That would just be stupid wouldn't it?

My blame lies directly on the guilty person and the bad choices they made for theirself.

This story should be no different

But since it involved a gun I guess that I'm not supposed to blame the man who made the choices and carried out his actions and blame the gun for doing it.

This is where I have to just be blunt and tell anyone who thinks it's the guns' fault are not mentally capable of basic critical thinking skills.

And if you fall into that category and hurts your feelings, all I can tell you is "Tough".

John A. said:
This is where I have to just be blunt and tell anyone who thinks it's the guns' fault are not mentally capable of basic critical thinking skills.

Sadly you have just described a very large, very vocal portion of the voting public.

You're probably right, and my intention was not to upset a large portion of people.

However, I still have to stand by my statement and say "if the shoe fits".

John A. said:
You're probably right, and my intention was not to upset a large portion of people.

However, I still have to stand by my statement and say "if the shoe fits".

Go ahead and upset them. :D :D

If making a few people cry in their Post Toasties is what it takes to keep the 2A alive, so be it. ;)

MikeD said:
If making a few people cry in their Post Toasties is what it takes to keep the 2A alive, so be it. ;)

Now this I know how to do, and do it well, as often as possible! :cool:

I think that the recent election taught the left that they can say whatever they want and say things that are outrageous lies and the media will never call them on it. Some right leaning media outlets may try to call them on an outright lie but the sheeple don't hear it. They are coming after the guns. Make no mistake about that. All they need is a another Obama sumpreme court justice, a back doored u.n. treaty, another mass shooting or a crisis with martial law.

I guess Costas speaks for his anti gun self and employer but not the athletes he covers. 3/4 of NFL players are armed for protection. I remember Sean Tylor of the Redskins was at his home in Florida due to an injury. 4 thugs broke in assuming he was in DC for a game. He unfortunatley confronted them with a golf club (I think) and was shot in his leg. It pierced his femoral artery and he died from to much lost blood.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...n-belcher-kansas-city-chief-nfl-guns/1752195/

The NFL has another tradgedy to deal with today. Two members of the Dallas Cowboys were in a DUI wreck last night. The passenger died and the driver is charged with some very serious crimes.

I wonder of Bob Costas will be jumping on the tradgedy and calling to ban alcohol, driving or both? Per his logic,on guns this tradgedy would not have occured if it were not for the easy access to alcohol and cars. Somehow I think he'll be quiet on this one.

Back