• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bought my first mossberg 590A1

MWright936 said:
You have an awesome shotgun by the way!!

why thank you for the compliment. Does yours have the M4 stock on it? if so there is a few tips i can give you for making it easier to take apart for cleaning.

Also for the afg1 the main thing you will have to do is grind off the ears. i would be real careful doing this with a dremel unless you have some serious skills. Just go slow and you will be able to tell how much to take off. Just test fit the piece and see how it fits and where you need to cut. I could take a few pictures for you since i have both afg's. it shouldn't be hard to do and once you get the pieces rough sanded just juse finer and finer sandpaper until you reach a finish on the plastic that is to your liking. Just like smoothing up wood. If you need any help just let us know man!

Thanks! That explanation paints a pretty good picture. I have done some research on the difference between the AFG1 & 2, so no need to worry with sending me pictures.

I do have the same stock you have. I recently took it completely apart for a good cleaning and reassembled successfully (with the aid of a YouTube video). Now that I've done it once, I think I'm good. It's a big learning curve from the Remington 870 I use for hunting!

the secret is drilling out the end with a 3/4 step bit so that you can get a long handle screw driver all the way up in there to tighten and loosen the screw holding on the whole assembly.

If you do it like you probably did you have to take the pistol grip off then losen the allen screw so that you can losen the castle nut, unscrew the stock and then remove the screw holding the stock on. what a pain! all that just to get the trigger group out! lol i have a thread on here with a guy name curly that showed me how to do it.

it will really save a lot of wear and tear on your mossberg.

bsipes30 said:
it's all on page 2 of this thread... lol my memory isnt that great in my old age

Awesome! I will have to look into doing that to mine. It was a pain to have to disassemble the stock piece by piece just so I could remove the trigger group. I'll have to get me a step bit (aka, an excuse to spend money on tools) and get to work. Thanks!!

Back