• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Brand New 590A1 Failure to Eject?

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I have never owned a shotgun other than a Winchester 13oo that I had (hardly fired) and sold many years ago.

Now that I have a family, I thought it a good idea to purchase a shotgun for home defense. Naturally, Mossberg came to mind as it provides a lot of gun for the buck.

I am in the middle of DROSing a 590A1 #50676 (I know, the USSM logo is kind of cheesy - but it was on sale), and the range that is doing the transfer actually let me have a go at it (With their AMMO, Winchester Super X).

I put about 25 rounds through the gun but I immediately noticed that after a few rounds shot, the slide became "stuck" and would only eject the spent shell after jiggling the slide a bit and pulling back forcefully. This happened twice in the box.

I know that Winchester shells are known to get stuck, and I intend to inspect my weapon after the waiting period ends next week, but I was curious what do you all recommend I do to fix this issue?

Since it's brand new, should I send it to Mossberg, or should I just have a local gunsmith have a look? Maybe upgrade some parts off the bat? Check for broken or bad parts? Some have suggested that I polish the bore and see how that works.

I am fairly inexperienced with shotgun ownership, but I want to make sure that myself and my wife can use it reliably when our well being is on the line.

Thanks for all your advice!

SJ

Welcome aboard SJ.

This might not be a chamber issue at all and I wouldn't suggest changing or replacing any parts yet. New Mossberg actions can be pretty stiff when brand new. The anodized matte finish on the 590A1 mag tubes and receivers can cause a little friction at first and the bolt will need to work itself a path in the receiver. Brand new Mossberg shotguns come from the factory with enough grease to rust proof an entire tractor, so a good tear down and cleaning followed by a good coat of lubrication on moving parts will go a LONG way toward smoothing out the action. My model 51663 was really tight at first as well, but after a preliminary clean/lube and sitting on the couch manipulating the action for a half hour or so it loosened up a lot. After a few range trips it became buttery smooth. Give it some good TLC and keep us posted...

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Jack !!

Did you break down and oil the 590a1 before you shot it...that's something I always do with a new firearm...as any gun straight from the factory can be dry ( unlubed ) and may have a burr or two from the manufacturing process. I've also found that Winchester ammo can shoot a little dirty...and the unburnt powder could be another reason for your trouble...fouling can jam up the action.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and sage advice, Gentlemen!

The range would only let me use their ammo, so I definitely plan on using a higher quality ammo as I have heard that the Winchester shells expand quite a bit.

I guess I let my excitement get the best of me, as the shopkeeper asked me if I wanted to test it out and I wasn't aware I could do that during the DROS period, but I suppose it makes sense since the dealer hasn't transferred title to me yet, and shot it without any cleaning whatsoever.

I will take your advice and once it clears and I get to take it to my garage, I'll take it apart, clean and lube it. What works best for Mossbergs? Is CLP good enough?

I had 100 panic scenarios going on through my head. Thank you for talking me down, gents, I really want to stick with a Mossberg, as I have wanted one since I was a kid. If there are any recommended threads for a newb, I'm all ears.

Have a great weekend, kind sirs!

SJ

No problem Sir, that's why we're here.

This link will take you to the best, most comprehensive review of the 590A1 on the interwebs. It just so happens to be from one of our own members...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/video-detailed-review-of-590a1.4588/

You can use just about any CLP product for normal maintenance. For the initial cleaning I would recommend a good degreaser to cut through the thick factory grease. I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, but you'll likely get multiple suggestions from other members...

Welcome to the forum. I own two 590A1's myself and I just used Breakfree CLP and field stripped the shotguns and cleaned out the grease and then lubed with CLP. Now I field stripped after firing 200-300 rounds. I do clean out the barrel and receiver each time I go to the range. I tend to shoot about 75 rounds when I go to gun range.

Wow, I can't imagine having to wait that long.

Yes Sir, @Water Monkey did an outstanding job putting that video together. It has helps countless folks learn about the inner workings of their shotguns. I know you've got to b e excited about getting yours. We're hoping it was just an ammo issue and some different rounds solve the problem. If not, let us know and we can try to help diagnose any issues. Good thing about pump guns is that most problems have pretty simple solutions...

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement, gentlemen.

I stripped down the gun , gave it a good cleaning with break free CLP and Hoppe's #9 and took it to the range to shoot some clay pigeons.

80 rounds (Fiocchi #7.5) and no jams/FTE whatsoever. I don't know if Fiocchi is considered cheap, but I had no problems at all. Thanks again, guys!

SJ

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I have never met a Mossberg that did not have that issue with Winchester super X ammo. not sure what it is but of the 7 Mossbergs I have owned and the 5 others I have shot they all did this with the red hulled low "brass" (I think its actually aluminum) Winchester ammo. Just have to pull really hard on the pump.

I have never met a Mossberg that did not have that issue with Winchester super X ammo. not sure what it is but of the 7 Mossbergs I have owned and the 5 others I have shot they all did this with the red hulled low "brass" (I think its actually aluminum) Winchester ammo. Just have to pull really hard on the pump.
Thanks for that info, EBK. The Mossberg QA threads I have seen here made me wonder if I had purchased a "lemon", but so far so good. Buying target loads here and there in anticipation for taking it out very soon again!

SJ

Back