• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Breaking in a 930 SPX?

Load, sight picture, safety off, squeeze the trigger.

Seriously though there is no break in per say. Some will clean the gun before the initial firing, some will not.

Have fun shooting her!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I would recommend a thorough cleaning prior to your first trip to the range. Mossberg has a tendancy to over grease their shotguns after production. The action, bolt, and trigger group may be caked in thick crud that could interfere with proper function. If you need them, there are videos posted in this subforum that will show you how to properly break down and reassemble your weapon.

Other than a good cleaning, make sure your ammo has enough poop to properly cycle the action. 930's don't do well with low recoil loads and will perform the best with ammo rated for velocities of 1200fps and greater. Be sure to keep us posted on how it goes...

Like others have already recommended; do a thorough cleaning and then get out to the range and start feeding your 930 some lead.

Thanks fellas for the useful info...I'll definitely give my new shotgun a good cleaning before taking her out to the range. As for shells, what combo of shells should I use (3 inch vs 2 3/4 inch, type of loads, and what brands)?ii

Agreed ^^^

My last order from cheaper then dirt dot com...

Screenshot_2012-08-19-21-40-40.png

They all shot great, no ftf or fte in the whole bunch...cept one of the 3"sellier and bellot mag buckshot rounds surprised me with a click, a solid dent in the primer cap but didn't fire till i cycled the action and popped it again...

Howdy ECLIPZD95 and welcome to the club...

For break-in, I did 100 rounds of 2-3/4" mostly bird with some buck mixed in. As mentioned stay above 1200 FPS and clean her good before and after.

Hammer

I ran about 60rds of low recoil buck and about 50 slugs thru her to break mine in... Everything worked great till I had her ported... Now I cant use anything below 1300fps

RippSpeed said:
I ran about 60rds of low recoil buck and about 50 slugs thru her to break mine in... Everything worked great till I had her ported... Now I cant use anything below 1300fps

I think it would be very interesting to see what the difference your gun was/is shooting on a chrono before and after the porting job given the same round. My gun runs low recoil and even Federal bulk pack just fine which is way under 1300fps. I guess what I am trying to saw is I wonder how many fps your porting job took off a round.

millsusaf said:
RippSpeed said:

I think it would be very interesting to see what the difference your gun was/is shooting on a chrono before and after the porting job given the same round. My gun runs low recoil and even Federal bulk pack just fine which is way under 1300fps. I guess what I am trying to saw is I wonder how many fps your porting job took off a round.

well cant chrono bird shot and thats the only shells that giving me problems. I plan on swapping out this barrel for a 24" soon anyway.

New owner, great forum here!

Going to break her in next week at a nice outdoor range but decided test it out at a local indoor range this weekend. Not my favorite place because you have to buy their ammo but ranges are few and far between around here. Fiocchi 2.75" buck @ 1150 fps wouldn't cycle a single round. Asked for something much stronger and shot Winch 3" 1oz slugs at 1750 fps and it cycled just fine! A bit embarrassing being "that guy" in the lane with the cannon where everyone looks over and says WTF? Fun but not something I'd want to do all afternoon.

This is not my first gun but it is my first shotgun. I understand shot sizes, pellet sizes and weights, velocity, etc. but what is the biggest determining factor in recoil? FPS? The Fiocchi were 00 buck 9 pellet and obviously were not even close to getting the job done. I'm guess the same round at 1250 fps wouldn't have made any difference. Stick with 3" rounds or anything in the 1,300-1,500 fps and the payload doesn't matter?

Welcome aboard!

Your 930 will function properly with loads rated at velocities of 1200fps or greater, regardless of the shell cup length or actual payload. I shoot all types of 2-3/4" loads rated between 1200-1400fps all day long with no issues. Congrats on your new purchase and we're looking forward to your next range report...

Chumley -

I will note that when I was running initial rounds through my 930 SPX, I had serious malfunctions with Fiocchi shells. These were 2-3/4" dove loads rated at 1290fps. Almost every spent shell failed to eject, with most remaining fully seated after discharge. A handful of those and I just set them aside. Of the many brands and types of shells I ran, these were singularly problematic. That was just my experience with my gun on that morning, but since you mention Fiocchi as giving you issues, thought I'd mention it.

Best of luck at the outdoor range...

Winchester universal rounds are just as crappy in my gun. Something not the round itself, not the recoil our fps cause i can run low recoil buck and other low fps bird loads without skipping a beat.

Check out the list i posted above, really as cheap if not cheaper rounds on that list the walmart special universal rounds and zero malfunctions. Gotta be the round itself.

Back