• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

breaking in new barrel

Raygun

.22LR
Supporter
is breaking in a new barrel really required ? just purchased a MVP varmint , please advise .

If you don't get completely anal about barrel break-in and brush / swab with Shooters Choice Copper Scrubber between every single shot for the first 100-rounds you will obliterate the rifling completely away and be left with a smoothbore rifle!

:D

I had a barrel that keyholed for about a year, I finally gave up and broke it in and now it's moa

I broke in my MVP Predator using the copper fouling method. Didn't take long and it shoots MOA and below depending on the ammo and the shooter.

This is just scuttle butt, but I've heard that the whole "breaking in the barrel" thing was started by a guy who made barrels and needed to ensure that he kept his business afloat. If he told people they needed to break the barrel in, the barrel burnt out that much faster. Sounds far fetched, but so does the idea of shooting/cleaning/shooting/cleaning

not sure how I'd burn out a barrel by cleaning the barrel about 15 times within the first 30 shots. And I'm just talking about 5 passes of a brass brush and some Hoppes 9 solvent each time. After that its just solvent and a cloth patch to get out the loose stuff.

To each his own. I've had good success with the method I used.

The attached came from Remington (.txt) and Krieger (.pdf). Using a nylon brush with #9 then 1 patch, I'll clean every shot for the first 20, then every 5th up to 50 then every 10th up to 100. This is similar to what the attached files say...

Attachments

• barrelbreakin.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 3
  • barrelbreakin.pdf
    83.3 KB · Views: 4
From what I have been told by people who understand this way more than me, is it's not really nessasary. If you are a long range bench shooter spending thousands of dollars on gear, then you will see a difference. But these guys also hand load and tune a round to the gun, and will only shoot 1000 rounds through a barrel before they consider it "shot out". We aren't doing any of that, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

The main thing you are doing in the 1st 100 rounds is breaking in the barrel throat. That can have burrs that will go away within the 1st 100 rounds. Even hand lapped barrels can have that issue. That's why many barrels will "shoot better" after being broken in. Same smoothing out of the throat will happen no matter how you shoot that 1st 100 rounds.

Use your own judgement, shoot 10 or 15 rounds, then safety check the firearm, and take a glance inside the barrel, if the copper fouling looks heavy, brush and swab it. shoot another 10-15 rounds, and have another look. I agree that "proper" break in is utterly unnecessary for a recreational shooter. A tad bit of copper buildup may be beneficial in that it smooths minor imperfections in the rifling of the barrel, but its pretty obvious when its too much, and that will affect accuracy.

Back