• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Breaking in the 590

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
While I'm not an authority, I'm happy to share my expeinces with the 590A1.

An often asked question is how do you break in a 500/590?

Out of the box, the action can be stiff. First thing I do with any gun is clean it to get out the grease and anything left behind from the factory. The only way to break it in is to shoot it. Theres nothing wrong with using birdshot, but for my 590A1, nothing has done as much to slick up the action as full powered loads, high brass slugs especially. I had cycled about 200 rounds of birdshot through it and was surprised to find the action wasnt as loose as I had expected. I had only fired about 50 slugs through it during this time. I gave it a good cleaning again, pulled the trigger and everything, used Hoppes solvent, then some Rem oil, wiped everything down and followed up with a light coat of oil. Then I began firing only the full powered loads.

After about 500 rounds now, I gotta say I'm very impressed with how the action feels! Still very positive feeling, I can feel and hear each piece moving through the cylce of ejecting one shell and chambering another. It is however very smooth through the process, even with the temps below freezing, it has functioned flawlessly. (too much oil can gum up in below freezing temps)

The moral of the story, hang in there and keep shooting!!! Besides, who doesnt enjoy more trigger time! :)

im having the same issue, i recently got a 590a1 and have only shot about 300 rounds of birdshot through it. i have seen some improvement from it but i just picked up a whole mess load of slugs and 00 buck to put through it, which i can not wait to shoot.

Back