• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bsst way to fix scratches on blued barrel?

JayC

.270 WIN
The parkerized heat shield I ordered from Mossberg finally came yesterday. One thing is for sure, this thing is solid compared to the ATI standard heat shield I have. I really like the way it looks having the blued barrel "sandwiched" between a parkerized heat shield and magazine tube. Anyway, I had a bear of a time getting the front tabs bent far enough for the little bolts to make it through. As a result I have added to my collection of heat shield scratches on my blued barrel. I thought about the Birchwood Casey rebluing kit, but I don't want to redo the whole barrel if I can avoid it. Can I just get a bottle of, say, Birchwood Casey's bluing compound and put that on the scratches? Would rubbing alcohol be a good degreaser/cleaner to prep the barrel? Would the bluing compound affect the existing bluing at all? What would be the best way to smooth the scratch out? I've got some 320 grit sandpaper if that would help.

Get a bottle of Birchwood Casey SUPER blue. It matches the parkerized finish well.

Clean/degrease and spot touch up using Q-tips.

Little at first then wipe off and see how it's matching.

Alcohol may not do it. I'd suggest some spray brake cleaner from the local auto supply house. 320 grit is pretty coarse for metal, and if it's woodworking paper I wouldn't use it.

Get some silicon carbide paper and follow it up with finer grits up to 1200 or so. Also available from auto supply/body shops.

<Can I just get a bottle of Birchwood Casey's bluing compound? >

Yes.

<Would rubbing alcohol be a good degreaser/cleaner to prep the barrel? >

Acetone works better.

<Would the bluing compound affect the existing bluing at all?>

Maybe a little.

<What would be the best way to smooth the scratch out?>

Nothing. Leave it be.

Thanks guys! I still can't believe I muffed it up like I did. I was trying to be so careful too. I guess the barrel didn't like the heat shield sliding off and on. I slid it slow, too. It is quite a tight fit.

Almost like the roll pin for an AR lower bolt catch. Damn near impossible to not mar the finish a bit. I wouldn't stress over it. Mine is like that from the heat shield. Gives it a lil character.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Scratches on my shotguns get covered up with carbon fouling and more scratches... ;)
I usually just use more Krylon...good as new in a few minutes :lol:

That works too.

I use flat black Rust-Oleum high heat outdoor grill paint on any AR parts I have to chop or file. Covers up the bare metal, holds up well to the heat, and matches the look of an anodized or park'd finish close enough...

Back